connecting rod specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connecting rod specs

I've searched on this but can't seem to find any straight answers (or at least in the same place)..

What are the lengths and weights of various BMW rods that are compatible with M20 engines and their common stroker setups?

M20B25 'i' length: 135mm weight: 0.626 kg
    M20B27 eta length: 130mm weight: 0.626 kg
    M50B25 length: 135mm weight: 0.645 kg
    M52/M54 length: 135mm weight: 0.584 kg
    S50/S52 length: 135mm weight: 0.535 kg

I might have missed a couple, but I believe these are the rods that commonly find themselves into the typical M20 builds. I know the longer the rod, the better (for higher rpms and durability), so I think this would be pretty useful info for those of us not looking to spend huge $$ on a set of custom rods.

I've been searching for a set of S50 rods based on the fact that they're 135mm and lighter than i rods (by ~35g?). Are S50 rods unique in their design or are they exactly the same as any other factory connecting rod (S52, M52, M54, etc)? I'd like to broaden my search if possible.
    Last edited by MonkeyMan; 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM. Reason: added info
    Make the bastard chase you.

bmwfans.info lists weights.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

amazing. thank you, sir.

I edited my first post, but I'm not sure exactly how accurate a few of those numbers are, as in, they may include hardware in the weights of some of those. Also, it looks like even though eta rods are 5mm shorter, they weigh the same as the longer i rods.

Apparently S50 and S52 rods are the same part number, as well as M52 and M54.
      Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

Working...
      X