Help me pick a new Suspension Set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a new Suspension Set up

Hey guys! So with taxes coming soon I was hoping for getting a new spring/shock setup. Problem is that I can't find enough info on what setup will work best for my early model e30. (1986 325e). I'm looking to go pretty low but also looking for better handling. I was thinking of getting the truste H&R/bilstein combo but I'm not sure if they will get low enough. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!

heres my tire/rim specs: 205/40/17 .. 17X8.5(?) .. and im running 1/4in spacers in the front due to tire rubbing up against the strut housing.
    Would any lowering springs effect that? (the rubbing) thanks guys!

pics ( some of them are photoshopped to show how low im aiming for)
    Last edited by oscarsi; 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM.
    (OO=00=OO)
    sigpic

H&R Sport springs are a reasonable compromise between cost, handling, ride height, and being so low as to risk oil pan damage.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

thanks, would putting those springs effect the tire rubbing?
      (OO=00=OO)
      sigpic

Comment

There's a good chance, won't know until you get the springs on the car.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Ireland engineering stage 3 springs + billies sports + sways and poly mounts and bushings, it feels like a GO Kart.
          sigpic

Comment

How much do you have to spend?

The above combos are great I am sure, but I went a different direction.

I went with custom valved/shortened bilstein with shortened housings and ground control coil over conversion.

This all cost me $1000. I then spent about $300 more on new control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, m3 offset control arm bushings, sway bar end links, and some new hardware.

I have not put new bushings in the rear end, but I am sure that wont be more than another $200.

So for $1500 I will be able to have nearly 100% refurbished suspension.

Goodluck.

Comment

H&R Race and B Sports will get you that height you photoshopped guaranteed.
              Camber plates will also reduce a bit of height without compromising suspension travel.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I did not even notice you photo shopped some pictures. Lol.

I would go with above setups.

Comment

my bad, only the first one is photoshopped haha.. the other one is with my friends sitting in the back.
                  (OO=00=OO)
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. my budget is around $600 is that too low?
                    (OO=00=OO)
                    sigpic

Comment

I would say with that budget get some H&R Sports and Bilsteins, and with any left over money do maintenance items.

Comment

A full set of Bilsteins is about $500. H&R Sports will run you about $250. That's $750 for the lower end but still decent parts, brand new. You can easily get all this used for under 600. I would personally suggest that if you're going to go with the brand new parts and spend $750, check out GC's street kit with coilovers (any rates/length) and Koni SA's which are better than standard Bilstein sports. It's a thousand bucks, but in my eyes completely worth it over $750 for standard H&R/Bilstein.
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                          X