Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: Rebuilt M20B25

SOLD

Hello all. Selling my rebuilt M20 so I can pull off an S52 swap.

Completely rebuilt cylinder head -
    -Decked
    -Pressure tested
    -New valve seals
    -Valve guides
    -A couple valves were replaced
    -New rockers... etc.

Spent about $700 at the machine shop on this not including the actual parts.

Cylinders were all within spec on the block so they were ball honed, block was not bored. The bottom end had the following parts replaced:

-Main Bearings
    -Rod Bearings
    -OEM Oil pump
    -Rod bolts
    -Piston Rings

At that time, I replaced everything:

Timing belt
    Water Pump
    All gaskets & seals (F&R Main Seals, Cam Seals etc)
    New thermostat
    All fresh belts/hoses... blah blah blah.
    Ignition Cap & Rotor
    Crank Position Sensor
    Throttle Position Sensor
    Oil Pressure Sender

It was put back together with an Modified MM OEM HG and Metric blues. Compression numbers were ~190 all the way across and though I never got it on a dyno, it was very peppy. I raced a friend who had an M50 swapped E30 and beat him in a 30-100 pull. This is about the only time I ever got on it. After about 2,000ish (non working odometer) miles, the HG let go due to the bolts not being tightened correctly. I tore the motor apart, had the head checked and am in the process of putting it back together with another OEM HG and OEM Headbolts. I have decided I no longer want to run an M20 and have purchased an S52 so the M20 is up for sale.

Also FWIW: The motor was broken in with detergent free SAE30, and I ran Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 after. The oil was changed 2 days before and everything looked perfect. Then HG failed on my way to work. After it failed, the car was immediately parked as I knew something was wrong. Also, it was NEVER overheated.

Will come with everything needed to drop it into your 325i. Valve cover to oil pan. Starter, alternator, power steering pump, I have an AC compressor I can include as well. Uncut/modified 325i harness and DME. I also have a box with all kinds of things, a clutch with low miles, new valve cover breather hose, Valve cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gaskets, random nuts/bolts and things.

Looking for . Willing to ship but on your dime. Would be a great engine for a Spec E30 car or just a solid daily driver. Willing to trade for other parts I can use for my 24v swapped car. I know I'm forgetting something here so if you have any questions, just ask - My email address is jcarp90@gmail.com. Thanks!

For funsies, the driveway the day we built this engine:

Last edited by JCarp90; 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM.

Looks great GLWS!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattBimmer View Post
      Looks great GLWS!!!
      Thanks!

Comment

Solid! I need my m20 rebuilt.
        sigpic

Comment

fuhhhhhhhhhhh
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Hey Jamison, I'm a friend of Rich.

Question: I assume the engine is out of the car... Have you pulled the head off to investigate what the problem was? It is very odd for a HG to pop on a stock-type build. Did you ever get smoke? Evidence of water in oil or vice versa?

Thanks,
            -Anthony Magagnoli
            #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
            Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
            '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
            '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '06 BMW 330xi 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT, '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q2
            '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
            Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

Drive Faster Now[/I][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
              Hey Jamison, I'm a friend of Rich.

Question: I assume the engine is out of the car... Have you pulled the head off to investigate what the problem was? It is very odd for a HG to pop on a stock-type build. Did you ever get smoke? Evidence of water in oil or vice versa?

Thanks,
              Hello,

Engine is out of the car, yes. I did pull the head and could tell where it was leaking. The head did checkout to be flat so it should be good to go. Like I said, I did use Metric Blues rather than stock head bolts when the motor was assembled. I'm assuming that's the problem as the bolts were torqued, removed for a reason I don't remember and then re-torqued.

Just realized that I didn't answer all of your questions: It did not smoke and there was coolant in the oil, but no oil in the coolant.
              Last edited by JCarp90; 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Jamison,

I'd like to talk to you about your engine. I am also a friend of Rich. What's the best way to contact you?

Thanks,
                Denny Barker
                #21 SpecE30
                Great Lakes Region

Comment

Originally posted by barkerdm View Post
                  Jamison,

I'd like to talk to you about your engine. I am also a friend of Rich. What's the best way to contact you?

Thanks,
                  Sending you a PM.

Comment

Friday bump!

Comment

When I assembled this motor, I specifically remember losing track of a few head bolts so I backed them off and re-torqued. Perhaps I deformed the head gasket enought to cause an eventual leak; otherwise I didn't torque them tight enough or Metric Blues just suck. This was the only head gasket failure I've ever had on any engine build (10 or so in the last two years) and also the only motor using Metric Blue head bolts. I typically stick with VR or OEM head bolts.

Other than the HG failure which is easily remedied, this is a great little engine with balanced rods, new bearings, rings, etc... The best part of the engine is the head which has a very nice valve job and all the proper attention to make it run well and long. Anyone looking for a reliable runner or a budget Spec E30 motor with stock sized pistons should consider.

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Sold.

Comment

Working...
                          X