Centering Steering Column Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centering Steering Column Question

E30 race car with dash bar and Winward steering column. When column is centered to the dash, stock location, the column does not center to seat in cockpit or the actual center of the cockpit. Column is about 1.5" to 2" off center to the right. Was this the case for e30's in general and I never noticed it? Don't have a stock e30 to compare.

Thanks,

It's true of my 89 four door. I didn't notice it for years, and the day I did... One of the worst days of my life. Now I can't unnotice it.

It can't be too bad though if the SpecE30 and PRO-3 guys race with it that way.
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Some offset is normal. How much offset you will have depends on the seat used and how it is mounted.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind.

Comment

Has anyone succesfully centered the column. We are running into the same problem on our E30 race car. I just dont have enough room to shift the seat over to accomplish this without redesigning the entire floor pan. I figured the column would be the logical place to move.

Comment

I have a RaceTech Halo Seat in my Spec E30 now and didn't really have any problem centering the seat on the steering wheel. It probably isn't perfect, but it is so close to being centered that you can't see any error. Nor did I have any problem centering the Sparco Evo in my previous Spec E30. In both cases I used the side mounts for the seat on home made mounts. Now I could see some misalignment if you have to use a "big boy" seat. But you still ought to be able to get pretty close.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X