Early VS. Late Cooling System & Mixing and Matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early VS. Late Cooling System & Mixing and Matching

Anyone have experience running a late model thermostat housing with the early style cooling system? I'm sure i'll figure it out on my own, just curious what kind of issues' i'm going to run into.

My first impression was to just use the early Tstat housing on the 885 head, which I will do if that works as well, I know the sensors are a different style which is probably part of the problem..

Any ideas are appreciated with open arms.

Cliff's Notes:
    86 325e bottom end
    88 325iS head (2.7i)
    Upgraded to Motronic 1.3

I want to keep my early style cooling system, as I just replaced the radiator, hoses, etc. last summer. Just curious what my options are as I don't feel like spending the $$$ on new cooling system components when mine are just fine!

Discuss. Thanks for your time.
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

There is only one thermostat housing now from BMW for all M20 engines. If used on an M20B25 rather than an M20B27, two additional plugs & seal rings are needed. You can use an M20B27 housing on an M20B25 (or budget stroker) engine by plugging the additional sensor ports.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I can't thank you enough, you've been such a great help with my build here as well as on E30tech. Kudos for being helpful, good sir!
      clutchCTRL!
      Move with a purpose.
      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
      - 2000 323i AT
      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I'm happy to be of help, but I will have to say that I've never been able to get approved fro E30tech, after numerous attempts.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X