Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e34 oil pan on s50... fitting question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e34 oil pan on s50... fitting question(s)

Question #1:

THe s50 oil pickup is in the rear of the motor and obviosuly gets replaced by the e34 pickup located in the front. there is a bracket/tab that supports the pick-up on the s50 that will not allow the e34 to fit because it sits too low and makes contact. Am I supposed to cut that tab off? or do I unbolt the main cap bolts to remove it? ARe the bolts one-time use only, or can I reuse them? Anyone know the proper torque?

Question #2:

The s50 has a bolt in windage tray and the e34 has a riveted windage tray in the pan. Do I drill out the e34 pan and remove that tray, oor remove the stock s50 tray?

Originally posted by m3j0n View Post
    Question #1:

THe s50 oil pickup is in the rear of the motor and obviosuly gets replaced by the e34 pickup located in the front. there is a bracket/tab that supports the pick-up on the s50 that will not allow the e34 to fit because it sits too low and makes contact. Am I supposed to cut that tab off? or do I unbolt the main cap bolts to remove it? ARe the bolts one-time use only, or can I reuse them? Anyone know the proper torque?

Question #2:

The s50 has a bolt in windage tray and the e34 has a riveted windage tray in the pan. Do I drill out the e34 pan and remove that tray, oor remove the stock s50 tray?

The bolts are one time use, so grab a set of vice grips and bend that tab back and forth to break it off.

I drilled out the rivets to remove the e34 windage tray and used the S50 one.
    '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

I took off the S52 windage tray, but I guess you could do either. I probably should have just used the S52 one, and drilled out the E34 tray.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
        The bolts are one time use, so grab a set of vice grips and bend that tab back and forth to break it off.

I drilled out the rivets to remove the e34 windage tray and used the S50 one.
        Well, I was stuck and decided to take the bracket off completely by taking the main cap off rather than do it (what I thought was) the ghetto way.... I guess I will have to order 2 new main cap bolts....

Is there a pro/con of using the s50 windage tray over the built-in tray on the e34 pan that cause you to spend the extra time drilling out the rivets?

Originally posted by Poeman446 View Post
        I took off the S52 windage tray, but I guess you could do either. I probably should have just used the S52 one, and drilled out the E34 tray.
        When you say you "probably should have used the s52 tray", is there a pro of using the s50 windage tray over the built-in tray on the e34 pan?

Comment

When you say you "probably should have used the s52 tray", is there a pro of using the s50 windage tray over the built-in tray on the e34 pan?
          Use the windage tray (oil baffle) that came with your engine, not the one that came with your e34 oil pan or you could end up with the problem I had:
          M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
          Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
          M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Is there a pro/con of using the s50 windage tray over the built-in tray on the e34 pan that cause you to spend the extra time drilling out the rivets?
            i could argue it either way. however, as long as the windage tray is serving its purpose by keeping oil in the sump off the crank you should be good.

-if you have an e34 pan that has a built in windage tray notice there is a little extra part of the windage that sticks out toward the pick up? considering the sump is now located in the front of the engine, this may or may not serve as an additional benefit.

-see how the s52 windage tray bolts to the block? considering it's thin metal, it may or may not provide extra support to the block.

i have not investigated the validity of the two statements above; they are simply conjecture and food for thought. like i said earlier, i believe you'll be fine either way.

if your e34 oil pan is like luckysnafu's where there wasn't a built in windage tray you can simply run the s52 tray.

Comment

Working...
            X