Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D's-Turbo M20 build

Hi all,

New guy here starting a m20 turbo build. I just picked up a project e30 this week and so starts the fun. Details- its a 1990 325IS car fax shows last mileage 150K two years ago but the cluster is showing not working as most. The car is very clean it came with the original head missing and about 5 boxes of spares. In addition a complete 70k motor-Arp head studs, 36# injectors,cosmetic head gasket, turbo manifold, nice intercooler, fuel pump, blow off, fuel pressure regulator, modded computer, Hx35 turbo and all the piping. Here are some pics of the current state...I got all the spares out and when through them. I got some good stuff. I worked a few hours getting the current motor ready to pull. And over the next few days I'll pull the motor and trans out. I'm also cleaning up the "Turbo motor" looks like it was a little dirty. Any feed back, tips or suggestions would be great.

Deniz

Last edited by Dyagciog; 05-17-2014, 10:54 AM.
    sigpic
    1990 325IS S54 swap in process
    2001 Z3M -All Stock 22K car
    2005 545i -DD
    1967 Morris Mini Van-Mad Project BMW/Mini Turbo

Update

Well here's an update..this week I got the dead engine pulled out and placed it in its new location for now.

and the replacement is in...

I'm hoping its as advertised. 70k motor with ARP head hardware and cometic gasket. I can see the hardware and the gasket, just crossing my fingers that the motor is in good order. I got the turbo manifold coated and the T-sat housing coated as well. Going to try and fire it up and hear it before changing the timing belt and waterpump...with fresh gaskits all around. I pulled only the engine, some people stated to pull the engine and trans together, but I didn't think it was too bad.

I got a nasty gift when I pulled out the fuel pump. The pump and tank are nastified badly! I pulled the pump out and installed a new 255lph pump but the tank will need some love. I'm looking for another in the mean time...
    sigpic
    2005 545i -DD

Comment

I'm hoping it would be long that the e30 is quickier than my M Z3 Roadie!
      sigpic
      2005 545i -DD

Comment

I got some more of the pieces in place. Going to put all the pieces in place and see the condition of the engine...then I'll make it pretty.

Got some of the small parts cleaned up and powder coated. Getting back in practice with the powders. And getting a list of all the parts I'm missing..

sigpic
        2005 545i -DD

Comment

What kind of turbo manifold are you running?

Comment

Looks like a 1st gen OBX
            sigpic
            2005 545i -DD

Comment

All coated -test fitting
              sigpic
              2005 545i -DD

Comment

Ill keep checking back in this thread, little by little I'm piecing a turbo kit. I'm thinking of going with a cx racing turbo mani but the 1st gen. Keep up the work

Comment

Hey guys,

I haven't updated this at all...been working my butt off at work, but at least its been generating more moneys for the project.

So here’s what I've been able to do and get. I'll start with suspension: I’m going 5 lug and I got a great deal on Z3M front hubs and brakes. I got Billy Sports all the way around. IR3 Springs and Ground Control Adjustable uppers. For the rear I got a TI setup and fresh poly mounts for everything. I got the front end installed. I all got a Z3 rack for it. The rack is installed just need to do the steering shaft.
                  For the powertrain: I got a new head off of a guy here in R3V. I came with HD rockers,+1 valves and a 272 cam. I pulled the cam and installed one of the dual pattern turbo cams and she is ready to go. I got my new cometic head gasket in so I'm going to pop the head on tomorrow. I fired up the powder coater and here are some pictures. The bronze color is showing really gold in the pictures, but its really got more of a bronze tone to it. I wanted a liitle different look the most of the other cars and playing on the bronzit theme....
                  sigpic
                  2005 545i -DD

Comment

sigpic
                    2005 545i -DD

Comment

That reminds me of Spaceballs.... Looks like Mel brooks as he teaches how to use the Schwartz.
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I also got my MS from WHODWHO...looks great. Waiting on my 60# injectors to come in. I'm going to run wasted spark on this setup. I ordered my coil and connectors from DYI site and they should be here in a few days. Still have to make the wasted spark wire and put in my fresh engine wiring harness. I got a super clean one with the car, going to remove the unused circuits and try to make it look a little cleaner.

Still have to powder coat the pulleys, throttle body and the turbo exhaust housing. I got in a nice set of hoses from IR engineering.
                        sigpic
                        2005 545i -DD

Comment

Yeah not sure why the camara highlights the gold soooo much!
                          sigpic
                          2005 545i -DD

Comment

That's a first gen CXr turbo manifold coated in whatever that color is.
                            Cool stuff man. More pictures!

What're you doing about the wastegate?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

The manifold is in a high temp black.. it has a little grey tint to it, but my camara on the phone sucks so it looks like grey in the pic. Currently I'm running an internal wastegate.
                              sigpic
                              2005 545i -DD

Comment

Working...
                              X