Stan's Convoluted Project Car Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stan's Convoluted Project Car Thread...

Just skip to post #22, even after then it's a bit of a shit show...

Hey all, finally time for me to start a build thread. I don't know how many of my cars will make it in here but we'll start it off with only my 1987 325is named Gina that my brother and I are building together. Right now, I'm in the process of installing a turbo system on it and thought I could post that up here. Still waiting on some stuff, but here are some photos and such.

By the way, the M20 was bought to be swapped into another one of my E30s so it will not be staying, we're just using this car as a mock-up for now. That car is my 1985 318i named Goodrin that I'm building for a friend. It will eventually be getting this turbo'd M20. The car in the background of all these photos is my 1990 325i touring rocking Kamotors super-wide flares and some serious lows. That car will get its own thread in time.

First things first, some photos of the car:
    As you can see, the hood latch is broken, as is the hood cable. Will be fixed soon...ish...

Hood being helped by my bro ;)

Rear shots:

And the interior:

Some of the first mods I did were to replace the brake lines with ECS stainless ones:

Next came Motorsport Hardware 44mm wheel studs. These are great they make wheel changes so much easier:

Then some turbo action. I did not take nearly as many photos as I should, but in this post I'll describe the system and next time show some photos. The kit I got was the full CXRacing eBay kit and 3" exhaust. Enter haters now... Well, the guy I'm building this for is pinching pennies pretty hard so this is what happens. I will say, the CXRacing kit is pretty good. The turbo is balanced, the manifold and exhaust fit decently, and the components seem to be generally of good quality. That said, my confidence in the knock-off Tial wastegate and Greddy BOV was low, so $320 later I had a used Tial with 13lb spring and a genuine Greddy BOV. For the rest of the setup, I'll be putting a TRE 255 fuel pump in this car and when the motor gets swapped over to the other car, she'll get a 255 inline Walbro. Tuning will be via a Sssquid chip tuned for M30 AFM, 42# injectors and 91 octane. Injectors are rebuilt Ford Racing. I have ARP head-studs and new stock gaskets for the engine, as well as an F1 Racing stage-3 clutch. Every part I have mentioned has been ordered or is in my hand so this isn't any fantasy that won't ever happen, just an FYI.

So, some photos. Again, I was pretty lame on photo-taking today but I will definitely add more tomorrow since I have the day off.

The turbo:

Wheels, here you can also see how the turbo was balanced:

Here is the 4-bolt to v-band adapter thingy attached:

And now the manifold mocked up:

And turbo on top of that:

That's all I have for now, at the moment the rear portion of the exhaust is on the car and the manifold is off to sort out the oil feed. Hoping to complete the oil feed tomorrow and get the manifold, turbo and downpipe all bolted on. Stay tuned for more!
    Last edited by stanhayward; 06-14-2016, 09:57 PM.
    1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
    1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
    1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
    ...And a couple others...

You know we all just want pictures of the touring in the background,right?
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
      You know we all just want pictures of the touring in the background,right?

Comment

Okay I shan't disappoint, but first some photos of the exhaust:
        Muffler, a bit too ricey for me but I'll ask my friend before I change anything...

And the rest of the exhaust:

It fits well, but it fouls the rear valance a tiny bit at the top. It's a 7" diameter so what I think I'll do is cut it off in favour of a 4x9" oval with a more subtle turn-down tip.

And, time to whore about my touring...

15mm spacers for the rear wheels are in the mail, right now there are 20mm spacers up front.

Hard to see here but she has Sparco seats. 4-point harnesses are in the mail too.

And from the back:

Now, after that,looks like I will need to go into work for a bit but I'll be home early and will be sure to get the oil feed sorted and hopefully finish up the complete exhaust side of things.

Comment

Looks awesome.

I dont think I could bring myself to flare a touring, I will pay you to get rid of that fart cannon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
            Looks awesome.

I dont think I could bring myself to flare a touring, I will pay you to get rid of that fart cannon as well.
            It was hard and I knew I'd piss some people off but I like how it turned out. And I hate the tip it's so stupid and it's so big it's touching the bumper so believe me, I want that POS gone too. I'm going to show my friend ASAP and I hope he wants an oval too because I don't want to drive around in this lol.

Comment

Sub'd.

Awesome touring btw.
              IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Nice

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Originally posted by illest318i View Post
                  Sub'd.

Awesome touring btw.
                  Originally posted by sayed ali View Post
                  Nice
                  Thanks guys.

So disappointing day today, but there was some progress. Got the oil sandwich in with the port for the oil feed and got it lined up:

Then here are some photos of the non-knock off WG and BOV, forgot to include them:

Buuuut..... Now the disappointing part. Go figure, but the eBay manifold doesn't fit. No big deal, we went to open up the mounting holes but our drill shit the bed... So no turbo goodness today :( Don't think I'll be able to work on either of these cars until the weekend unfortunately, but should fix the manifold and hopefully get the ARP head studs in, new top end gaskets, bottom end gaskets and maybe (if it gets here) the oil return flange and line. Stay tuned and thanks for checking it out.

P.S. As a side note, here are the only photos I have of Goodrin, the 1985 318i.

Comment

nice, boost is good

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                      nice, boost is good
                      Yeah Kam, if you hadn't noticed your car has influenced me a lot. Flares, turbos haha. The touring is getting boost too as soon as I'm done this, I already have the manifold, turbo, wastegates and blow off valve.

Comment

Hey guys, no progress today because I was working until now but I did get some parts, may go out and install them now but I'm bagged.

Firstly, M30 AFM came today:

And next is Metric Blue head bolts. Seems everyone hates these now but after reading so many success stories with so few failures, I decided I'll give them a go. I said ARPs before but I bought those for the touring and messed up which project I was talking about. Here they are:

Comment

One more mildly lame day. Will be going to buy a new drill tomorrow so that we can hopefully wrap up the turbo side of the engine. Today, though, I installed VAC aluminum floorpans in the Bonsai. I don't think I've explained yet, but the Touring is named the Bonsai Bimmer because it's a Japanese import. So some photos:

I have a new dead pedal in the mail that will replace the empty spot. That's all for now but pending a proper drill, I should make some progress tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post

Hood being helped by my bro ;)

Is this the bro that dinged your Rotiforms with the sledgehammer ?
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              Is this the bro that dinged your Rotiforms with the sledgehammer ?
                              One and the same

Comment

Working...
                              X