1990 M5 Euro (3.6) Project D-schwarz/blk/M-cloth $5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 M5 Euro (3.6) Project D-schwarz/blk/M-cloth $5k

After some thought, I've decided that it would be best for me to sell my m5. I don't want to and never thought I would, but my car situation has gotten stupid and I must buy a practical daily driver. My s54 e30 is 99% finished (100% not practical) and my Land Rover decided to start being a Land Rover recently, so I have lots of stuff to spend $$$ on and not enough to continue to maintain and improve the m5.

The car is very unique to our market, it is Diamondschwarz over black/cloth interior. The paint is very rough and needs to be resprayed everywhere, it's peeling on the roof and creeping down the pillars. There is a dent on the RF fender but other than that the body is extremely straight. The front bumper lower lip is cracked at the seam where it joins the bumper, it could probably be repaired but might as well just get a new bumper. It has genuine Hella smoked tails and smoked front smileys, but the lenses are pretty pitted and one is cracked. There is some lower door trim rust on the drivers side door, but it could be just surface rust, definitely no bubbling or anything like that, I just didn't want to take a chance by pulling the door trim off just to check. I was going to address this when I painted the car. The silver lining here is that since its a euro car there aren't VIN tags on every panel so replacing the door wouldn't be the end of the world. The rear fenders are also rolled heavily but very nicely. The car currently has staggered throwing stars on it with 25mm spacers all around, 245's in the front and 275's in the rear, lots of space for big wheels and tires. I would sell the car with a set of freshly re-finished BBS RC302 Motorsport editions or the M-systems, I think I would prefer to keep the M-systems for the e30.

The interior is in decent condition, the seats are all great except for the drivers side, which has a hole in the center of cloth panel, the dash is in great shape and the carpet is clean. The door panels are typical e34 door panels and they suck. My plan was to buy 1995 door panels and wrap the wood grain pieces with the M-cloth. The headliner was re-done and is decent, not sagging. One of the windows works about half the time, but it's one of the rears and is fairly low on the list of priorities for me. A/C doesn't work, stereo sucks

Mechanically the car needs some work. First, the most important part- the engine. The car has 224k miles on the original s38. It runs awesome and is still extremely quick, sounds great, etc but it does burn oil. Compression numbers are excellent 155-165 across the board IIRC, leakdown is high on two cylinders, I think around 30% cold, the rest of the cylinders were 15% or under. I have this documented somewhere and will try to find it, worst case I'll test it again. During the leakdown air was audible in the crankcase, I'm of the opinion that it needs rings/pistons. My plan was to overbore, buy custom pistons and replace the rod bearings. The pricing on this is not as bad as you would think, the bottom end is definitely not the expensive side when it comes to s38 rebuilds. The car does have new plugs, rebuilt MAF, new injectors (bosch, not lucas), s50 euro tensioner, new thermostat and valve cover gasket. There is more that I've done, as well as a large .pdf of mainenance from the previous 3 owners, but the updated version is on my other laptop, which I bricked the other day in the garage. I still have the .pdf as I received it when I got the car. I've been changing the oil at 3-4k with Lubri-Moly GT1 10-60 or Redline 50wt, it burns about a quart every 1500 miles or so. The car still pulls very very strong on the highway.

The transmission is fine, no issues, and I'm not sure of the age of the clutch but it also feels normal. The diff is a 3.91 and occasionally will grind at low speeds in parking lots and whatnot. The noise went away last time I changed the fluid (mobil75w-90) but eventually came back after 3-4k miles.

The suspension is tired, it is on Eibachs with a coil cut in the front, with koni adjustables all around. I don't know the age of the shocks but I think the fronts need to be rebuilt. It also needs thrust arms as of late, I recently replaced the rotors and pads (Hawk HPS) in the front and the vibration (which I thought was warped rotors) is definitely more noticable now from the thrust arms. I also has some play in the LF tie rod. Hubs feel ok. I will probably replace the arms and bushings, tie rods before it sells.

All in all, it's a bad ass car and I would love to keep it but I simply cannot afford two projects of such proportion on an entry level engineering salary. Not responsibly at least. I get thumbs ups and comments all the time driving it, despite it's rough appearance. If you don't work on your car yourself, be prepared to dump a ton of money into this car, just being honest. This car is for the true enthusiast that is willing and able to tackle a project like this, for me it was this or the e30 and there is no way I can let the e30 go.

I will sell the car for $5,000. If you don't want to pay that, it's ok. I can stuff this thing away in the garage and keep it, but I'd rather see someone else enjoy it

20140917_180935 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

20140917_181046 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

20140917_181030 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

20140917_181008 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

20140917_174111 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

20140917_174101 by braswell.jonathan, on Flickr

I can get some better pictures this weekend, the sun was going down when I took these so I could only take pics at certain angles.

I'm sure someone will ask about trades and I don't think I'd be interested in any, I'm looking to buy something reliable that I can drive every day, has cold a/c and I don't have to work on constantly. Naturally, I'm mostly shopping for e39 m5's or MAYBE a really nice e36 m3. I would be willing to trade with cash for the right car but that is unlikely.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

beautiful. I wish I was ready for a third car (or could sell my 2nd) I have always wanted a e34 m5, maybe something will come up and I can buy it from you otherwise glws
    Originally posted by Vokuhila
    I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Good looking car with some serious potential. To bad your in GA. GLWS if you let it go.

Comment

That line about your Land Rover suddenly remember well it's a Land Rover. I basically spit some rice on the screen. Guess we all know that while owning one your gonna pay at some point.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Yeah, I'm not mad. My dad bought it new in '01 and I bought it from him about 3 years ago with 160k on it. It's never had a single issue, and now it's making up for lost time. But in my current situation, I am relying heavily on it being reliable, and with a Land Rover that's never a good place to be. I do think it's a fantastic truck though, and it's not worth enough $$$ for me to ever get rid of it
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Man, I wish I had time to do another S38 rebuild. This car would be the perfect DD, you can get that head rebuilt for less than $800, the pistons will cost about $1900+machining, timing gear will cost about $750, plan on another $1000 for bearings and misc parts (seals, hoses, etc). Could have a strong running M5 for not a whole lot of money.

Comment

Seriously considering this!

Comment

Got the $$$ for this just not the $$$$$$$$ to restore, sucks because I always wanted an e34 M5. Let alone a euro with this color and interior damn.
                84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

If I could get rid of my jeep and e34 wagon, I would be all over this.

http://halden-fabricius.tumblr.com/

Comment

Ttt
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Still for sale??

Comment

Yeah, going to put it back on the market
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

PM'd
                          sigpic

Comment

Forgot to mention, since I posted the ad, I have replaced the UCA's with Syncro Design Works spherical bushings in Meyle arms as well as both tie rods and the idler arm. The car has no front end vibes now
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

This is a fantastic deal.
                              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Working...
                              X