KI4UJO's e32 750il Build - As If I Needed Another Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KI4UJO's e32 750il Build - As If I Needed Another Project

As if my consistently disassembled e30 wasn't enough, I bought this. It is a 1989 750il, Diamondschwartz on Tan. Overall, it's pretty rough, with rust in all of the doors and some in the trunk. Also, it features a non-running M70. According to the PO, it was "running when parked."Everything appears to work electrically, and for that matter, the car is 100% stock down to the OEM tape deck. My current plans are:

Attempt to revive the M70

Go through the braking system

After that, I really don't know. I really like the idea of an e32 as a daily, but we'll see how it goes. With that in mind, I bought it for just slightly above scrap value, so I can't lose too bad.

Anyway, on to a few really bad photos (I'll get some better ones tomorrow)

IMG_4854 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4855 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4856 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4857 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4858 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4859 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4860 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4862 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4863 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Currently, I'm in the process of cleaning out the fuel tank, along with replacing basically everything which came in contact with the bad fuel. More updates tomorrow.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Sweet wheels on that e32. I had a 1990 735i for a period of 6 months before it was t-boned. Absolutely one of my favorite cruisers. Never ridden in the v-12, good luck!

Comment

Looks like it needs some good lovin'.

How much did it cost? Looks rough and not running, I'd imagine someone wanting to get rid of it. Wild to think a flagship car which fetched all that money years ago is in such a state. Good work saving it.

When you get it running, swap into E30?
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Looks like it needs some good lovin'.

How much did it cost? Looks rough and not running, I'd imagine someone wanting to get rid of it. Wild to think a flagship car which fetched all that money years ago is in such a state. Good work saving it.

When you get it running, swap into E30?
        $400. The guy selling it had apparently bought it as a project, but ended up having to deal with health issues in the family and allowed it to set. Also, no v12 e30. It already has an m52, and I really don't want to swap it for the 3rd time this year.

As for progress today - figured out that the tank in the car was junk - it had around an inch of rust particles sitting in the bottom of it. I have now sourced another tank and am about to install it now. Another issue that I ran into when removing the tank was overtorqued wheel bolts. I acually ripped a 3/8 extension in half using a pipe for leverage attempting to remove the last one.

Oh, and sorry, but I didn't take any more photos. I spent all day trying to get another tank.

Comment

No engine bay pics!?

SHAME!
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            No engine bay pics!?

SHAME!
            IMG_4663 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_4665 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Side note - I moved it to my grandmother's so I would actually be able to work on it (previous location was in an inner-city setting). Bottom line - it has no chance of running without replacing every piece of rubber that is vacuum-related. One of the intake boots actually came off in hard chunks. I don't think its going to run for a few months, as I am getting ready to start back to school (mechanical engineering) in a couple of weeks, and I would like to actually have my e30 back on the road by then.

Comment

Cool project, I really like it when people try to save these old boats.

I love them, I wish you the best of luck getting it to run again!

And it is absurd that such an expensive car ends up like this, so except for the fuel/rubber parts does it need any other mayor work?
              Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

I'm gearing up to do the intake gasket BS, plus replace the valve seals, etc. Then mine should be good to go engine wise. I did rogue a ignition coil off for my 535iT though....

These things really aren't bad to work on at all. I have found myself buying some tools to help out....like for the PS pump you'll want a swivel head 19mm (3/4") ratcheting box wrench to get the one line loose. Just shit like that to get into tight places.

Comment

I'm gearing up to do the intake gasket BS, plus replace the valve seals, etc. Then mine should be good to go engine wise. I did rogue a ignition coil off for my 535iT though....

These things really aren't bad to work on at all. I have found myself buying some tools to help out....like for the PS pump you'll want a swivel head 19mm (3/4") ratcheting box wrench to get the one line loose. Just shit like that to get into tight places.
                  I don't think its really that bad, its not much tighter than my 24v e30 inside the engine bay. Ill probably pull the hood and core support to gain access to everything, but that shouldn't be too hard. Once I get going with school again I'll pull the intakes and replace all of the rubber, slam the tank in, and fire it up.

Comment

Ok, well, I don't have any photos, but I did finally fire it up last weekend. However, there were a few setbacks:
                    1) One of my junkyard replacement pumps was bad, so I teed the lines and ran all 12 on a e38 V8 pump.
                    2) Once running, it appeared to only be running on bank 2 for some reason.
                    3) I was only able to get one DME to perform a stomp test (again, bank 2). I got a 2231 (battery voltage/DME main relay). After a voltage check, I found the alternator was putting out 17 volts! Time for a new voltage regulator.
                    4) The PS/Self-Leveling Pump sounds awful, assuming there is no fluid left due to the rear self - leveling unit having failed.

Onto the big one:

"TRANS PROGRAM"

Also, it doesn't move forwards or backwards. Yay.

So, the current plan is to replace the voltage regulator and move forward with why I am only running on one bank.

Also, a very good friend has video footage of the start that I should be able to put up in a few days.

Comment

Hopefully you can save her these cars were pretty amazing back in the day
                      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

When running, does it LACK injector pulse and spark on the dead bank? Also you said 1 fuel pump was not running?

Try swapping the main relays. Mine was the above situation when I got it.

Comment

When running, does it LACK injector pulse and spark on the dead bank? Also you said 1 fuel pump was not running?

Try swapping the main relays. Mine was the above situation when I got it.
                          No idea on injector pulse and spark - fired it a few hours before I had to leave - it is 3 hours away from me.

It is only using one fuel pump - when I got it, the tank was full of rust. Currently, I have both fuel feeds teed and am using the pump from a v8 e38 in a e34 tank. Not exactly OEM spec, but it was cheap and available when I needed it.

I ordered a voltage regulator for it yesterday - should arrive at the car Thursday. I plan on installing it and going from there.

It would be nice to have this thing driving, but I'll see. I'm not particularly excited about rebuilding a 4HP24.

Comment

So, I made the trip back to the car

IMG_5583 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

I ordered a cheap voltage regulator from ebay - I really didn't feel like dropping $135 on a bosch unit for a car that could still be parted. Even once pulling the oil filter housing, there's not much room to work with in there.

IMG_5590 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Old Regulator

IMG_5593 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_5591 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Once in, I had correct voltage at the battery. Now, onto why I am only running on 6 cylinders.

_MG_5586 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

_MG_5588 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X