No announcement yet.

Thankful for forum members giving honest feedback on the akg stage 2 shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankful for forum members giving honest feedback on the akg stage 2 shifter

Hey guys
    So I was interested in buying the akg stage 2 shifter for my own car.
    I sent pms to a few member who have that product in their own car to get some feedback. They where all helpful and I placed and order.
    lots of pictures here

Feedback
    318aye
    I'd say the shifter was worth it (I drooled for quite a while, drove it in friend's cars, etc), it's certainly more of a departure from the stock feel than say the UUC Evo 3 kit. Really nice, satisfying engagement sound and feel, but it will take time to get used to such a short throw. It will also highlight any need to replace the detent springs in your Getrag, as you have a good bit more leverage on the selector itself.
    Sure, happy to help. Any specific info you're curious on? I had the Evo3 with DSSR in my last e36 m3 (akg 75D poly motor/trans mounts, delrin front carrier mount). The akg setup is much more specific about gear engagement than the UUC setup. It takes more precision, and you certainly know when you're in gear, where the UUC setup retained more of the stock, smoother gear engagement. The evo3 always felt smooth, with a small to medium *click* on engagement, the AKG is almost instantaneous...you're in gear with a solid contact sound very quickly. The throw is WAY less than the Evo3, when AKG quotes 2.5" total throw 1st to 2nd gear, that's no BS. It will definitely take getting used to.

Quality wise, it's top notch stuff. Very well machined, no flaws, and well done from a design perspective (minimally invasive to the body of the car, easy to replace carrier and main shifter bushings in the future, easy to assemble, etc).

I wouldn't have any reserverations buying again or for a future car, but it is a VERY "racey" feeling shifter that requires some attention to use properly. My car is 99% street, but I could see how some would be worried about tracking this shifter without solid or high hardness poly mounts. The difference between 1st and 3rd for instance is much less noticeable than with the evo3, or really anything that retains the stock shift carrier.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask!

Dan

Ak-
    I have the 1st one they made actually.
    It's a "click" engagement most of the time and the throw is really really short.
    Coupled with a fresh U-joint/trans-joint (forget what it's called), the slop is really minimal, and I can imagine it being even more so with a DSSR.

I can text you a video tomorrow or tonight of me rowing the gears if you'd like.
    I most likely will be at Dock as well if you're going so you can try it yourself.
    Pandaboo911
    It's hard for me to really draw a conclusion since the only other shifter I've used was the oem slushbox shifter. I've driven e30s with rebuilt short shifters but they never really felt good. Lots of isolation between trans and shifter.

The AKG shifter is chassis mounted and has no dampening so it will vibrate. I solved this by putting a round rubber ring I cut out of the old shifter boot between the tunnel and shifter plate. The shifter is relatively short despite it's long length, it's extremely notchy and takes positive force to engage a fork. Missed shifts are a disaster when they happen due to the huge amount of leverage the shifter provides you. My reverse gear has been hard to engage for about 6 months, however I think this is due to the worn pins in the ZF320.

Here's my setup:
    AKG shifter (brass lower bushing)
    Stock linkage with nylon washers added
    Rubber bushing on the trans selector rod
    Rubber e21 trans mounts
    Rubber e28 motor mounts

I think with the DSSR it'll be more like a gated shifter, however might require the use of more solid trans bushings. I got the AKG shifter at a discounted price and went for it.

If you race your car the added leverage is something to be considered. Every spec or race miata I've seen, including my own, with a long shifter has destroyed it's syncros in just a few races due to the added leverage of the shifter when you're banging through gears. E30s will be no different. A missed shift will be a disaster and at 6000 rpm will utterly explode the transmission. The shift lever is more than twice as long as the oem.

If you're like me and drive your e30 just on the street then it's miles ahead of any other shifter due to it's chassis mounted design. It just makes the car more fun to drive. Especially with the addition of a clutch stop.

Honestly the best thing you could do is find someone with it and drive the car. I know Craig has one but he's also in the bay area. His is also street driven. User name is craiggroves91

Lof8
    It's a very nice product. Everyone says you need to use urethane driveline mounts to use this shifter but that's not true at all. My engine and trans mounts are rubber and it works great. I did have to shave off a little material from the underside of the cup to get enough range to hit reverse. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.
    It's a very nice product. Everyone says you need to use urethane driveline mounts to use this shifter but that's not true at all. My engine and trans mounts are rubber and it works great. I did have to shave off a little material from the underside of the cup to get enough range to hit reverse. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Now I see you're using an m20. You shouldn't have to deal with any of the crap I'm describing.

Last edited by iwantspeed; 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM.

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

It's a nice piece.

I have one in the racecar, but it will be coming out soon. Too many ground gears and just too much of a risk of transmission damage.

Many PRO3 cars ran them for a season or two, but eventually they either went CAE or back to a Z3 shifter..

I have not used one in a street car, but I will second what another user said about the length.

That being said, the DSSR is a nice piece and I will probably keep it to go with the Autosolution carrier/shifter.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
    X