Unusual timing issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual timing issue

Alright guys some stupid shit happened and I need some advice. I took my intake manifold off and in the process I lost one of the nuts. It is the one that goes by thermostat area. I couldn't find the damn thing I looked everywhere and I thought screw. So I got everything together and went to crank my engine and it was cranking fine didn't start (I had the cps and spark plug wires backwards) that's besides the point though.
    So I'm cranking it and hear a loud noise I'm not sure if it was the valves hitting the pistons or the nut bouncing around in the timing cover. So I stop cranking it immediately and turn the engine over by hand. It feels hard, the fucking nut apparently fell in there and I didn't know. We'll anyway after I turn it by hand a couple revolutions I find this.
    I could hear the timing belt going over the nut a belt stretching noise. Anyway my question is if valves did in fact hit pistons for even I would say 1 revolution is my head toast? the engine also won't start and I'm assuming it's because that nut threw the timing off.
    Really need some opinions fellas I'm pissed [emoji35]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

If the valve kisses the piston, it is going to lose every time. Take the valve cover off to see what damage has been done. My guess is that you will have to rebuild the head.

Comment

I can turn the motor over by hand and there is no issues. Can I tell if a valve is bent by taking off the valve cover?

Comment

I'd definitely start by removing the valve cover, and intake/exhaust. Chances are your going to have to rebuild it. But you can start by removing those to check visually. Good luck.
        Build Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
        Parts Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

I'm not so sure your timing is off. I'd check the belt, check the timing marks on the gears, and look for any damage under the covers

If the nut was in the timing cover, and it got mashed there, I would start by taking off the timing cover as though you were doing a timing belt job.

If the nut was smashed by the belt against a gear (which seems unlikely) then that belt needs to be replaced. If the nut was smashed between the lower cover and the crank gear, or between any other two hard parts, you might have some scoring or cracking - you'll need to inspect it.

Are you positive you have the manifold back on right? And what were you investigating that made you take it off? Those could be your no-start problems as well...

Current:
          1991 325i Sedan - S50 Swap
          1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
          1991 M3
          1991 318is
          1985 325e

Comment

I'm not %100 percent sure that the nut was between the belt and the gear or if it was between the gear/belt and timing cover. What I find strange is the small hole that is right under the thermostat housing is where it dropped in at and after I turned the crank bolt by hand that nut was just laying under the thermostat housing, like it road up the belt and then was just laying there. I already ordered a new belt and will inspect the covers and belt to see what happened. Could that nut stop or bind something hard enough to cause valve/piston contact? I took the manifold off to swap my injectors I had 60lbers on my turbo setup and went back to stock. When I try to start it it cranks then has a slight sputter like it wants to start but won't. Assuming the timing is off that bad then you would think that when I turn the engine by hand it would hit the valves right? Thanks man.

Comment

Pretty weird for sure.

I guess it's possible for the nut to have bound up the cam gear, so that when you spun the crank, the valves didn't move properly, and the belt stretched instead... but that seems crazy. Especially when you think of where those parts are relative to the place the nut fell in.

I'm very curious to see how the timing looks when you open up that cover.

As others have said - you can also open up the valve cover and inspect he tops of the valves. If anybody is bent in there, you might get lucky and see a bigger gap between the rocker and the end of the valve.

Good time for a valve adjustment while you're in there at least. That plus a new TB when you inspect the timing - you should have a sweet running m20 when you're done, if there isn't any real damage!

Good luck - post back with findings.
              Current:
              1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
              1991 M3
              1991 318is
              1985 325e

Comment

Well I pulled the valve cover off and the nut had obviously Jamed the cam and did some crazy shit broke every rocker arm on the intake side of the head.

Looks like I need to rebuild the head. All because of a shifty ass nut.

Comment

Well, hell. That's not what I was expecting to see.

I'm so sorry. So frustrating.

You gonna rebuild the head, or just source a working one?
                  Current:
                  1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
                  1991 M3
                  1991 318is
                  1985 325e

Comment

Originally posted by hwy84 View Post
                    Well, hell. That's not what I was expecting to see.

I'm so sorry. So frustrating.

You gonna rebuild the head, or just source a working one?
                    Probably just rebuild it is is already decked to the compression I want and the car hasn't ran for more than 15min since I rebuilt it. Long story but I have a turbo build thread in the FI section called ruthless.

Comment

Aw man that is shitty. Good luck fixing it
                      Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

This is how far the nut threw the timing off.

Belt is also damaged a little

Comment

That's incredible! I mean, awful, but amazing.

That's nearly 180 degrees off!

I'm so sorry. Good luck with the rebuild.
                          Current:
                          1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
                          1991 M3
                          1991 318is
                          1985 325e

Comment

Rebuilt the head with ss IE valves HD rockers and a gates racing timing belt.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X