No announcement yet.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with so many broken picture links, it's kind of hard to follow this thread.

here is my car .. pre-facelift, a 1984.

what type of bumper does this Kamei racer have, european or international ? where to get, how much ?? I need this bumper set. I want to keep my E30 as old school as possible, no facelifts for me 8-)

Comment

Looks like a set of euro bumpers to me.

Comment

They are euro bumpers with half the trim missing.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          with half the trim missing.
          meh ? care to elaborate, please :)

I'm still pretty noobish when it comes to Bimmers, but I could spout off all kinds of info about VWs lol

Comment

It's just the rubber/plastic trim that goes around the bumpers. The front one has the trim on the sides of it but is missing in the middle of the bumper. The rear it's just a rubber bump strip that wraps around the middle part of the bumper.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

pls tell me if i have this straight: i have a 10/88 cabrio (sig), and i can put on plastics (front and rear) with no modification, OR do a bumper tuck, any other options??

BavAuto ~ Bilstein ~ BBS ~ Scorpion ~ MarkD ~ Prolumen

Have you hugged a corner today?

'89 335iC (M30) - summer
              '17 Mazda3 - winter

Comment

tuck bumpers and paint body colour...
                sigpicWhite Rock Crew

Comment

Originally posted by SynSyx View Post
                  pls tell me if i have this straight: i have a 10/88 cabrio (sig), and i can put on plastics (front and rear) with no modification, OR do a bumper tuck, any other options??
                  Yes, straight swap.
                  so easy to upgrade the iC. here's my humble 2/87 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by SynSyx View Post
                    Yup, simplest thing to do.
                    You'll need front and rear plastic bumper with clips and shocks, front late valence, front lip (IS preferred ;-) and some kind of rear apron to stick under your rear plastic bumper if you want it to look real good.
                    Keep in mind that all the little stuff such as brake ducts, fogs or fog deletes, oil cooler trim can be bought from the dealer for real cheap (I paid something like $50 for ducts, fog deletes and the oil cooler trim all together)
                    344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Sorry if this was asked already, but what bumper is this? and where can I get one?

Same questions for this one....

Last edited by platanos; 04-30-2008, 11:50 AM.
                      ~Fernando

Comment

the first one is M-tech II, the second looks like some e60 m5 rep.

Comment

any one have pictures of early model euro bumpers with front valence options [late valence or mtech1]

Comment

Where do I buy plastic bumpers for my 12/89 cabrio? and the Mtech II for that matter?
                            TIA
                            ~Fernando

Comment

Originally posted by thuibers View Post
                              any one have pictures of early model euro bumpers with front valence options [late valence or mtech1]
                              Well, you have tons of options if you choose to modify and make shit work. I tried several valences on my euro bumper swap but only found 2 choices as far as decent fitment and little to no modification. Refer to the below for fitment choices.

Here another tid bit of info I never found in this thread. This applies to euro and usdm versions.

84-85 - Different front valence. Only the lips, euro or not, from those year models work on the shorty front valence from these years. ALSO, the body piece that fits under neath the lights and grills that take up the space between the bumper and grills is a SEPERATE piece. The lip on these cars usually are warped and not really desirable compared to a late IS lip. They DO have brake ducts and Ambient Temp Sensor build into them though.

86 -87 - This also has a different front valence. When I say valence, I mean the metal portion. The lip is different as well. It quite longer on the sides than the 84-85. You can also buy more of an IS lip type lip for it as well, without the cool center stepped section. In these years you could get the eS/iS models with the plastic cow catchers but it still had the typical metal valence behind it with an ALWAYS broken bracket system mounting it. These years also have a ONE PIECE valence/body line filler between the grills and bumper. Therefore if you use 84-85 parts like the valence, you'll have to either get the donor cars body filler piece or cut the existing one off your car. Either way works and looks the same after the bumpers are mounted.

All the other years should be heavily covered. Again, you can use a late model valence on early cars, but with euro bumpers it requires modification to look right. You will need to cut off at least 1 1/2 inches from the bumper strip indention and weld it back together. Tack weld every few inches is fine too. If you dont do this, it looks like ass because you see a huge section of the valence you arent meant to see because plastic bumpers are thicker than euro thin metal bumpers.

:up:

Comment

Originally posted by platanos View Post
                                Where do I buy plastic bumpers for my 12/89 cabrio? and the Mtech II for that matter?
                                TIA
                                You do a full sweep and check of the For Sale sections on R3V every day until something pops up. As soon as someone is selling, you shoot a PM. You then reply into the thread "Dibs on this shit".

Then you can Paypal. Post count usual matters with sellers.
                                Mtech II seems to be still available at the dealer? I know a couple of kids that have bought pieces straight from BMW USA which whom shipped it in from Germany.
                                For plastic bumpers, you can also try BMA or something for used stuff. I usually find them in my local junkyards.

Comment

Working...
                                X