Help please how do install my MSD ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please how do install my MSD ignition

I thought that this wouold be an easy install and it was right up until the point where i realized BMW does not use a pick up coil on these ignition systems. I was wondering if anyone could pleaee tell me how to wire this ignition into my car( its a 86 325e wiring system) would i use the Crank Posistion sensor maybe? I really dunno so any help would be great if someone has done this
    faint in, throttle out.

Why on earth would you use a MSD ignition system on a 325e in the first place?

Sorry I can't answer your question.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

This is really not worth it. Which box do you have? It is possible to do it easily with the msd 5 box. The electronics on the 6 boxes are more complex. You will not benefit from doing this unless you are throwing in more fuel, but the stock ignition can handle even that. Search the msd website if you want to do it. If your using a 6 box then you can use a crank trigger.

I ran an msd 5 box on my car just to see what it would do since I had it lying around. The car ran a bit smoother at idle and didnt pop as much letting off the gas. About a month running it I think either the box blew or my ignition didnt like it, and I had to remove it. Idle is a tad rougher, but not really noticable. I cant tell a difference.
      Old and improved:

Comment

this is all part of a turbo setup(using a t3/t4 and a 524td manifold) in the works, and its a 6al box with the boost timing master piggy back(which has nothing to do with the box instillation). I do have bigger 30 lb per hour injectors and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator as part of the job too, i want a e30 eta motor that can walk on s52's , and was just figuring this ignition and BTM would help keep this install runing smoothly and working well

the 6 box is very simple i just dont know what to use at the pick up if i could figure that out or someeone had an ide that would be great, thanks
        faint in, throttle out.

Comment

well there is a different story. I would say the crank trigger is your best bet. But I am curious, because there is a crank position sensor on the car, and im wondering if you could possibly tie into that. Are you running the msd BTM?. Im getting myself all mixed up because msd makes a box specifically for boosted motors, thats what you got right? And you want to piggyback with the 6al. I wonder if you really need the 6al. Id say get a blaster coil, and some good plug wires. there are a few other guys on here who run some msd with the turbo setups. they have a lot of boost.
          Old and improved:

Comment

I got it all figured out, i was trying way to hard, for anyone who wants to know how to install a MSD 6al on thee car here it is...

orange to positive side of ignition coil
            small black to negative side of ignition coil
            small red to wire that was on old positive side of ignition coil(green wire)
            small white to wire thatt was on old negative side of igniton coil(black wire)
            big red to continuos battery voltage(top terminal on junction in battery tray for trunk mount batterys)
            big black to ground(valve cover bolt makes a great spot)
            AND THATS IT the purple and black wire on the other side are not used

this wiring setup will limit the rev limiter to whatever your stock ignition allows but will control it under that say if you plug a 4g in it will rev to 4g but if you plug a 8g in it wil only rev to your redline not 8g

As for my setup for those of you wondering this is not the MSD BTM i wish it was, its the 6al igniton with a BTM add on piece you can buy becasue i cam across the 6al for free and figured i could buy the piggy back

If you plan on using a MSD Blaster coil some modification will have to be done to your coil wire as well, at least in my situation i had to crimp on a differnt kind of wire connector on the end than the stock BMW type but that was not hard if you can strip and crimp wire

As for for performance wires BMP and Bav Auro both cary good wires but stock BMW wires aren't solid core and seem to deliver more than enough for me so that should basically cover all igniton upgrades minus cap rotor and plugs which are strictly your prefrence in brand.

Thnaks for the intrest and ill keep you posted on the Boost situation :D :D

ONE more ? does anyone know of a chip that eliminates rev limiter all together so that i could use the MSD plug ins beyond the 6300 i have already from a chip and if so where could i get it, thanks?
            faint in, throttle out.

Comment

Working...
            X