Steering rack swap for airbag cars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack swap for airbag cars...

I need to replace the steering rack in my '91 318is.

I would like to put in a e36 or e36/7 rack, but from what I gather this requires cutting the firewall to "re-route" the column.
    Has anybody done the swap without doing this?

Another option might be to use a e30 m3 rack. Anyone done this? I ran the part #'s and found that the M3 w/ and w/out airbags use the same rack.

Thaaanks.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Eh?
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Either airbag or non-airbag e30 racks will work. If you decided to go with an e36 rack there will be a bit of customization, but not too bad. Personally I would go with e30 M3 if I had the choice cause it will fit properly and it is only the difference of a half a turn. I have a 95 M3 rack in my car, but I only went that route cause it fell onto my lap when I needed a replacement.
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realize the racks were interchangeble.
        Can anyone else confirm?
        I know that the airbag cars do use a different rack, steering column, and flex joint.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Get a steering rack from an airbag equipped e30 m3.

Will
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Why not use an E36 rack...? It's that much better, for only a li'l cost and a l'l effort.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
              Get a steering rack from an airbag equipped e30 m3.

Will
              I would if someone can confirm that it will work.

As I said before, the "airbag" steering rack is the same part number as the "non-airbag" rack.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

yes e30 m3 rack will work, I have a one a ZF remaned unit sitting on the counter if you are interested.

Comment

PM me your best price, please.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Low cost - good solution.

Get a used low mile E36 or Z3 rack. They have a quicker steering ratio and the swap is a bolt in for air-bag cars. Slot the hole in the firewall slightly (less than an inch) toward the center of the car. Can anyone comment on the possibility of sliding the shaft forward through the firewall by loosening the big nut between the brake and clutch pedals thereby accomplishing the same thing.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...80&hg=32&fg=30

#6 needs to be slotted.
                    #1is the shaft I'm referring to.

Comment

So on airbag cars the joint doesn't have to be modified? Why exactly does the column need to be shifted?
                      '91 318is
                      sigpic

Comment

I've never personally done this but the guy at Zionsville said that I would have to convert my airbag steering column with a non airbag steering column in order to use a z3/m3 steering rack because the linkage where the column meets the rack is different. is there an e30 m3 airbag steering column? what the the lock to lock on a e30 m3 steering rack??

Comment

Problem is, a reman e30 m3 rack is big bucks-- cheapest I can find is about $600. I can get a remanufactured Z3 or e36 m3 rack for half the price.
                          '91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

The only extra step needed to complete Z3/E36 rack swap on an E30 with airbags is to fab a new plate for the firewall to move the steering wheel over and down like 1 inch or so. If you have access to sheet metal and the proper tools it should be easy as pie.

You will need to modify your steering knuckle first to help determine the best position of the steering wheel hole to avoid binding. A little binding is ok because you can grind out some excess aluminum from the knuckle to take care of that. What you don't want is excessive bindage.

Comment

Why is it exactly that the column has to be relocated?

Is it that it doesn't physically reach the input shaft on the rack or that there is too much angle on the universal joint? I'm not a huge fan of cutting up my firewall, but if its as minimal as you say, I guess its not that big of a deal.
                              '91 318is
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X