Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 coolant leak

hey all

My car has had a small coolant leak for a while, but it hasn't been an issue until yesterday.

Coolant is leaking at a pretty good rate down the drivers side of the engine about half way along the block. There appears to be a line that runs along the intake manifold to keep it warm? Is this hose connected to the output line from the heater core?

ie: does hose "1" from this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=64&fg=18

connect to hose "22" from this diagram?: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=11&fg=35

I can't see shit right now, should i take off the intake manifold?

and btw my oil is clean, I don't think it's a headgasket that's gone...I hope...

anyone have ony ideas??

thanks
    sigpic
    1991 Diamantschwarz 318is
    1998 Cosmosschwarz M3 Sedan

Originally posted by craig4ie View Post
    hey all

My car has had a small coolant leak for a while, but it hasn't been an issue until yesterday.

Coolant is leaking at a pretty good rate down the drivers side of the engine about half way along the block. There appears to be a line that runs along the intake manifold to keep it warm? Is this hose connected to the output line from the heater core?

ie: does hose "1" from this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=64&fg=18

connect to hose "22" from this diagram?: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=11&fg=35

I can't see shit right now, should i take off the intake manifold?

and btw my oil is clean, I don't think it's a headgasket that's gone...I hope...

anyone have ony ideas??

thanks

Hose #1 and hose #22 are the same hose- compare the part numbers and you will see the light.

You will need to pull the intake mani off to get to that shit without being a midget contortionist.

You can probably just pull the upper mani off and leave the lower mani installed.

Once you get a good look at it, it's not that hard to see what's what. There are alot of hoses in there though.........might be a good time to replace any that look questionable. I know that those #17 + 25 on the 2nd diagram are common problems.

You'll also want to check the plastic tube that that #1/22 hose connects to- it's held into the block and has an o-ring around that end that can leak- the plastic tube can also break and leak alot of coolant.

Bret.

Comment

Sounds like it's the TB heater hoses indeed. You will have to take off the intake manifold. Not too hard. You might want to replace it while you can before you overheat the car and end up with oil and coolant mixing.

The heater hoses are off the junglefuck above the hose #22 and are fed in an intake and exit manner such as to allow circulation of the coolant. The images are somewhat reversed in the real oem diag. making it more complex than it actually is.

I personally hate coolant TB hoses and deleted them on both the 6cyl and 4cyl cars I have owned.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys, I'll pull the intake manifold tomorrow
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine View Post
          I personally hate coolant TB hoses and deleted them on both the 6cyl and 4cyl cars I have owned.
          I think you're onto something...

yeah, it was the damn plastic part that feeds the coolant into the block. it was a pain in the balls getting everything out...what a clusterfuck of hoses. it doesn't help that the dealer only gave me half the parts I needed either...

hmph

ps... www.realOEM.com is GOD
          sigpic

Comment

hey r3v i'm bumpin this thread cause i just found the same problem on my e30 as the original complaint.

coolant is running down the driver's side block from somewhere past where I can see... there are several coolant hoses coming into there... I assume all these should be replaced? the above posts are awesome btw. does anyone know how this info compares to an m20b25?

I just replaced the bitch plug c191 and now looks like i'm in for these hoses haha..
            Last edited by coldweatherblue; 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X