Maaco: Package? Clear Coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maaco: Package? Clear Coat?

I am going to have someone cheap remove my dings and dents but was planning on getting my car painted at Maaco. I have a few questions for you paint knowledgable peeps. I plan on going with the Supreme Package (see table below). $375 includes paintjob and "prep work to remove deep scrathes"

I don't know what those different chemicals/paints mean but I am on a budget. The package comes with a 2 yr gloss warranty but the guy said the "Supreme" lasts a good 6 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Maluco; 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM.

buy the paint and clear yourself to save some money.
    if you are willing to have your car trailered there, do the taping/masking yourself....maaco won't do a good job. If you can pull all the glass and rubber. Remove the trim, headlights, grills, emblems, etc that will remain satin black so they don't get any spray on them.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

MAACO does an alright job if you do all the prep work yourself. Thats the key, Maaco will just tape up the headlights and glass and run a coat over it. But, if you do the prep work yourself it can come out pretty good for 400 bucks.
      Back to my roots

Comment

Snap! I can't do all that myself, I don't have the time. I don't necessarily need the whole car painted. It's just I have hater scratches pratically all the way around and some dents I need removed. I am getting ready to put a susp kit (BTS-7511) on my car as well as my wheels and felt I might not have things in the right order i.e. dropped, nice wheels but dents and scratches still on the car.....

Comment

that's the right order
          paint should come dead last
          what happens if you want to put a kit, a spoiler, bumpers, etc?
          and no $400 dollar paint job is going to be better than the factory paint, unless it's gone, in my opinion

If you're set on painting now, try some local shops and see if someone will do it off the clock. You could get a decent respray for as little as twice or three times the maaco price if you get hooked up. Someone here is offering to hit my car with PPG and prep on some minor body work for $1400. The plastic bumpers and valence alone are $350, and that should tell you something about a complete respray for $400. (it's a vert, too)

It really doesn't matter what kind of paint is used if the prep is crap.
          And since maaco won't prep your car for squat, why piss $400 bucks away just to see everything chip and fade and peel in a year or two.
          Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Here are my 3 cents:

Find a Paintless Dent Removal guy. Call the "expediter" at your local BMW/Audi/Lexus dealer. This is the person who handles all the weird bullshit, makes things happen. He knows a good PDR guy, and will likely pass his number to you. The best are rarely in the phone book...

A really talented detailer can buff out many deep scratches. If they cannot guarantee the finished product, don't pay them.

If you decide to paint, call (or go to) your local "Body Shop Supply" store. This is where the pros go to buy paint, sandpaper, etc. The counter people will know who buys paint and who will work on your car without flaking out or screwing you over.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

meh, just roll it
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                If you decide to paint, call (or go to) your local "Body Shop Supply" store. This is where the pros go to buy paint, sandpaper, etc. The counter people will know who buys paint and who will work on your car without flaking out or screwing you over.
                Truth. I go to Industrial Finishes for all of my body work supplies, they supply to almost all of the major dealerships and body shops, and they are awesome. They wil spend 30 minutes with me on even the smallest questions I have until I have it etched in stone.

Comment

Dude aren't you aware that I actually run a friggin Maaco ??!!

For the $$ and the warranty that you mentioned you will be getting the Presidential NOT the Supreme .
                  Since Maaco is a franchise the pricing could be off from location to location but the warranty would be the same .
                  And Maaco warranties the Supreme for 4 years while the Presidential is only a 2 year .
                  Which location did you get a quote from ?

That advice to buy your own paint to save $$ is the worst advice i've heard in a long time .
                  Have you even priced paint and essentials that are needed for a car ? :D

Truth is that if you can takle taking the little trim pieces and lights out then you will get a pretty good job for the money from any Maaco .

My Maaco is a full service collision center with 2 frame machines, 2 body guys and a mechanic .
                  You need to let me see the car and I'll give you a good estimate for doing all of the work , including taking out your shit and doing the bodywork .

Oh and like I said over the phone , you would be better off NOT going with the BTS kit . :)

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                    So there is one that does a good job?

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

So there is one that does a good job?
                      That doesn't mean they do good work :P

Comment

oh snap!

Comment

Ninja pease !

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I had no idea. That's good to know though. I need to come see you one of these weekends for sure. I visited the Maaco in Addison. Seems they are a full service location as well. Some gum smacking guy that wasn't really helpful or informative did the quote. I believe his name was Chris. Where in the Metro are you located?

Sorry to hear about newly aquired. Not to bad being that you run a Maaco though, eh? :D

I'll just take your advice as far as buying the Bilstein Sports and going with some other springs. I saw some pics of that setup and indeed the front doesn't sit right. Seems it could/should be a little lower. What springs do you suggest I run with the Bilstein Sports?

A really talented detailer can buff out many deep scratches.
                            Luke
                            Yeah, I have one of these guys coming to look at my car tomorrow. If he can buff most of the scratches out and fix my dings/dents for an ok price, I will just do that...

Comment

For the $$ and the warranty that you mentioned you will be getting the Presidential NOT the Supreme .
                              Since Maaco is a franchise the pricing could be off from location to location but the warranty would be the same .
                              And Maaco warranties the Supreme for 4 years while the Presidential is only a 2 year .
                              Which location did you get a quote from ?

That advice to buy your own paint to save $$ is the worst advice i've heard in a long time .
                              Have you even priced paint and essentials that are needed for a car ? :D

Truth is that if you can takle taking the little trim pieces and lights out then you will get a pretty good job for the money from any Maaco .

My Maaco is a full service collision center with 2 frame machines, 2 body guys and a mechanic .
                              You need to let me see the car and I'll give you a good estimate for doing all of the work , including taking out your shit and doing the bodywork .

Oh and like I said over the phone , you would be better off NOT going with the BTS kit . :)

Dude, about about how much would it cost to paint a brand new aftermarket '94 Corolla hood/quarter panel? This is for my sister and I want it to last 6+ years. My friend had parts of his car Maaco'd and it started peeling a year later, which is why I am afraid of that place. How could I ensure Maaco will give me better results?

Comment

Working...
                              X