Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17x8.5 + 235/40 --- Stretch or No Stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17x8.5 + 235/40 --- Stretch or No Stretch?

Will 235/40's on 17x8.5" wheels be stretched, or not?

Thanks!

simple math will tell you 235mm = 9.25"

you tell us...
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
      simple math will tell you 235mm = 9.25"

you tell us...
      While your math is correct, your logic is not.

215mm = 8.46" --- and anyone who knows will tell you that 215's will stretch on an 8.5"-wide rim.

Anyone have any USEFUL info to post...?

Comment

I say no stretch. The sidewall is tall for a 235 and the tire isn't much narrower than the wheel itself.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30 View Post
          While your math is correct, your logic is not.

215mm = 8.46" --- and anyone who knows will tell you that 215's will stretch on an 8.5"-wide rim.

Anyone have any USEFUL info to post...?
          you are a dumb ass lol. Thats almost an 1" of differance btw the 215 and 235. Sure the 215's are going to be streched but use your "logic" to notice that an extra 1/2" on each side is going to get rid of that strech.
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

even though you don't deserve it, 8.5" w/ 235's (fronts)...

Comment

you are a dumb ass lol. Thats almost an 1" of differance btw the 215 and 235. Sure the 215's are going to be streched but use your "logic" to notice that an extra 1/2" on each side is going to get rid of that strech.
              You posted initially that 235mm is 9.25" with no other info, inferring that not only would there be no stretch, but that the tire would be wider than the rim.

With your apparent genius, you might also know that not all tires are the same, and that a 235mm all-season is skinnier than a 235mm slick, for example.

If you have nothing useful to post, no relevant pics or experience, then you yourself are really not useful.

And, having been searching for a li'l while, I have just come across a good pic of a 235mm-wide tire on an 8.5"-wide rim that tells a story:

Thanks for nothing.

Your hilarious attempt to dismiss my obviously-ridiculous question with your obviously-far-beyond-that-of-a-mere-mortal intelligence has failed. Give up and fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30 View Post
                You posted initially that 235mm is 9.25" with no other info, inferring that not only would there be no stretch, but that the tire would be wider than the rim.

With your apparent genius, you might also know that not all tires are the same, and that a 235mm all-season is skinnier than a 235mm slick, for example.

And, having been searching for a li'l while, I have just come across a good pic of a 235mm-wide tire on an 8.5"-wide rim that tells a story:.
                I posted facts, you inferred what you wanted.

Sure slicks are wider than an all season but did you specify what you were going to run? no.

And if you searched then you would have found your answer instead of wasting the site's bandwidth on dumb questions. You know there is a sticky w/ all this info in it right?

So some 235's might be streched while MOST others won't.

Comment

Looking to put these on the m3 or one of the standards?
                  sigpic

Comment

I posted facts, you inferred what you wanted.

Sure slicks are wider than an all season but did you specify what you were going to run? no.

And if you searched then you would have found your answer instead of wasting the site's bandwidth on dumb questions. You know there is a sticky w/ all this info in it right?

So some 235's might be streched while MOST others won't.
                    Rather than contributing to the wasting of this site's bandwidth, obviously a major concern for you, why not just post the link?

What it comes down to is that I asked a basic yes/no question. It's really my fault. This is what happens when you ask questions of teeny-boppers on the internet. Shit in = shit out.

Comment

here's another one for you....

when will the little kiddies learn what the search button is for?

Comment

when will the little kiddies learn what the search button is for?
                        It's all over now, don't worry.... shhhhh.... it's Ok.

Comment

Care to stop your guys' bitching and answer my question from a few posts back? :)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                            Care to stop your guys' bitching and answer my question from a few posts back? :)
                            Oops, sorry - got lost in the midst of all the insanity. They're going on the E30 M3.

Comment

Mmm, I have the same ones I am planning to put on my 88 2 door. Just dont know if I want to put 215's on an 8.5" rim for the front. Bit o stretch. Thinking about doing 235's all the way around, but even m3 guys run into front fitment issues with that size. :/

In my experience with my other wheels, the 235 on 8.5's will usually look about like the 4 door pictured, if not even less stretch.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X