Buying a NEW E21 brake booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drew325is View Post
    This is apparently a 924/944 booster...what's with the wierd shroud thing on the firewall side? You guys come across that?
    If you unbolt that bracket thing, you will find the correct bolt pattern to mount to the firewall. You don't need that bracket.

-Erik

Comment

Awesome...thanks for that. Happened to be speaking to a Porsche parts place between posting and your reply, and they said basically the same thing (with the exception of E30 specifics of course!).

So I've bitten the bullet and ordered a used 924 booster. Sadly here in Australia it cost me $150AUD...but such is life. I'll probably do a test fit with the car still running on the M20, get it reco'd (I like the piece of mind), and then fit and test drive it. Will be sure to post the results.

Comment

Fark...so the "924" booster I ordered arrived, but it's measuring in at 9.25 inches in diameter. Makes me think it's probably 944. From what I can best see (it's hard to measure the E30 booster when it's in the car), but the booster I have ended up with would be about an inch smaller. Not sure if this will give me clearance or not. I've decided however, that the only way to really tell if something will fit or not is to have the M52 installed. From what I've read recently, it doesn't seem feasible to assume that what fits for one conversion will fit for another. Need to bite the bullet and pull the M20 out!

Comment

For the record, Treehouse Racing and AKG both sell remanufactured boosters that are already modified.

1987 325i Cabrio - SOLD
          2014 Chevy Volt
          2007 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Dammit! I'd have rocked a THR one for sure....$175 is a decent price IMO. ZA want $250, not reman'd...thought I don't think the THR ones on the website are reman'd...say a DOA warranty which makes me think they're used, but with some paint and a cool sticker. Even so, I'd probably have gone with a THR had a seen it earlier!!!!

Comment

The later model 924 booster is the same size as the 944 booster.

Fred K. has already fit the 944 booster and clearances are acceptable, so you should have no issues.

Comment

Good to know! Thanks for that.

Comment

Someone's sell me the brake booster with a somewhat working brake booster should I buy it and replace the part ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leo1234 View Post
                    Someone's sell me the brake booster with a somewhat working brake booster should I buy it and replace the part ?

Ilk go out on a limb here. I think you are asking if you should use a used part? If so, I would not replace it just to replace it.

If you haven't bought it yet, I suggest a mk2 vw booster. Half the price at only $80. Look for a 8v gas jetta or golf from 85-92.

They perfect and all you have to do is cut and thread. No resizing needed.
                    Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

We'll sorry i forgot to say I need this for my m50 swap in order for the intake to fit with out messsing with it

Comment

Originally posted by Leo1234 View Post
                        We'll sorry i forgot to say I need this for my m50 swap in order for the intake to fit with out messsing with it

I know. I am running the same thing. Autozone has them in stock or order online.

Comment

So buy the e21 brake booster from there. Strickly German sell me only the brake booster with a kinda working master cylinder with no resorvour

Comment

Should I buy it

Comment

i dont know what to tell you. i spent about $80 on a reman mk2 vw booster that was a direct fit, you modify the rod with a hacksaw and a dye you can buy in the isle of the autozone while they pull your part. if they want more than $40 i would not buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X