Engine Push Start Button Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Push Start Button Install

I purchased my button from Demon Tuning in the UK, through the fabulous Fleabay.

This is what you will need for the install.
    -Button
    -Wires
    -Standard Relay
    -and tools to splice wires

The kit i purchased left no need for splicing as they have this fantastic product which you simply clamp onto the two wires to splice them (this only requires a pair of pliers)
    I highly recommend doing this in daylight unless you lake working with a lamp inches from you face. NOW,
    Throw away the instructions and do this:

1: Disconnect battery from car. (safety first!)

2: Lay out wiring loom and check you have everything at arms reach.

3: Remove the steering wheel (not necessary but makes it ALLOT easier)

4: Remove kick panel in driver side foot well.

5: Locate the Plastic wire adapter attached to the back of the steering shaft, just bellow the steering wheel.

6: Locate the Red wire (hereby referred to as "Red"), and the Black/Yellow wire (hereby referred to as "Black/Yellow") coming out of the back of the adapter.
    (The red is the Ignition Power, and the Black/Yellow is the trigger for the Starter Solenoid)

7: Wire system as follows:

Relay:
    #30: --> Red
    #85: --> EARTH
    #86: --> Start Button --> Red
    #87: --> Black/Yellow

(See wiring diagram below)

8: Reconnect battery.

9: Turn key two clicks and test button.

10: Cable tie all wires and neaten up everything.

11: Mount button in desired location.

And here are a couple of pictures of it mounted in the cigarette lighter location:

NOTE: Most "kits" are designed to fit perfectly in the cigarette lighter hole,
    However the e30 requires a little fabricating for this particular button,
    as well as some kind of spacer (I just used some 2mm plastic, cut to shape)
    or else the button will sit down too deep in the hole.

I hope this Thread is easy to follow. -feedback appreciated

Thank you to StereoInstaller1 who was a huge help with this process.
    He knows his shit.
    Last edited by JamesE30; 11-18-2007, 11:32 PM.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

whered you mount the button? Pics of finished install?

Comment

Do yourself a favor though...buy a real set of crimpers and THROW AWAY THOSE FUCKING SCOTCHLOCKS!!111ONE!

Tiny contact points do not make a solid connection and they will not stay reliable.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

currently the button is dangling from the dash like some sort of car bomb trigger.
        I have so much shit to do for uni atm, i havn't even had time to think about the poor car.
        But i will get pics of it as soon as its done.

As for those connectors, they're fine for now, if ever they fail, there is no issue as the key still works. It's an easy fix anyway. Splicing wires aint hard.

R.H.D
        M-technic I club

Comment

ehh...knowing my luck a scotch lock would fall apart when i was trying to show it off to my buddy...just solder and heat shrink those puppies...and never worry about them
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.sexymorningvoice View Post
            ehh...knowing my luck a scotch lock would fall apart when i was trying to show it off to my buddy...just solder and heat shrink those puppies...and never worry about them
            Nope...never solder in a car unless forced to. No manufacturer uses solder any more, neither should you. Much higher resistance and solder ALWAYS causes corrosion inside the wire. A quality crimp using a good tool (I use Channel Lock "Wiring Pliers") make a far superior connection.

I will agree that a shitty crimp is inferior to solder, though. Stamped steel crimpers should go in the trash immediately.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

hmm...i am assuming that since your name is stereo installer, then you should know. lol thanks for the tip. But im tellin ya, rosin core solder, or dippin the shit, i got mad skillz...haha. So then are you heat shrinking your connections, or how are you keeping your exterior connections good?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.sexymorningvoice View Post
                So then are you heat shrinking your connections, or how are you keeping your exterior connections good?
                as in under hood stuff? Heat shrink is an excellent option, but generally I simply use Scotch Super 33 electrical tape...the absolute god of all electrical tape. If I am working on an application where water resistance is critical, I simply squirt a gob of silicone sealant in the ends of the connector before inserting the wire and crimping. Learnt that there trick from an Alaskan installer who did amazing work.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

yea...thats what my dad does, but i have found the crimp n seal connectors very handy...normal crimp on connector with heatshrink on the insulation, and it is the good kind with the glue...lol good stuff
                  sigpic

Comment

It doesnt still start by using the key though, does it?
                    Originally posted by Teaguer
                    Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

give me your address so i can take your ride just kidding

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
                      I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
                      "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Sun View Post
                        It doesnt still start by using the key though, does it?
                        Originally posted by franco90 View Post
                        give me your address so i can take your ride just kidding
                        ha ha ha...

Yes. It still requires the key.

R.H.D
                        M-technic I club

Comment

pics and/or video?

-Ryan
                          http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

still need the key...

why do it then?
                            beware of attack squirrels

Comment

Excellent writeup. Just reminded me though. I think it was in the Roundel earlier this year, but one of the editorial bits was on starter buttons. I might be wrong, it could of been one of five different car mags I read. It was a funny article though, saying that the key start was a wonderful invention, and getting RID of the push start was celebrated by all. Now new cars are putting backwards moving technology in and people love it. It's all about fads.

I've started a push button car before, and it was cool for the novelty, but I'm sure I'd get sick of it after a while. I suppose it's because I am of a generation that didn't have to deal with them to begin with, and the last car with a manual choke in my family was when I was 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X