Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual mass to single mass

Hey,
    I have a 87 325e with a production date of 11/86 so I assume its a dual mass flywheel. Now, single mass is cheaper, lighter and easier to find parts for, to convert it I just need a whole clutch assembly from a single mass right?
    So what I would need I think is
    Single mass flywheel
    pressure plate
    clutch disk
    pilot bearing

Then I would just change the clutch as usual?

Thanks guys

If there is anything else please fill me in.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Come on, am I just completley off? I need to go buy parts today, I want to know which I'm going to use.

PLEASEEEEE
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I'm new to E30's so people chime in if I am wrong, but I'm doing this switch right now.

I have an 88' Super ETA. It has a dual mass flywheel. I picked up an M3 flywheel to find it does not work, so don’t make my mistake. Since my car is an 88 it does not have the crank position reference sensor working off the flywheel so that is one thing to keep in mind. If you look at your motor and see the sensor next to the harmonic dampener then you can use any single mass E30 325i flywheel. Keep in mind the older ones have a small key that is next to the ring gear. To be really safe get a flywheel from the same year as your car. In my case I was able to back date because it does not mater if i have the key on the flywheel or not since the sensor is on the front of the crank on an 88'

What you need:
      "i" presure plate
      "i" clutch disc
      "i" flywheel bolts
      "i" flywheel

The throw out bearings were the same for me, but for gods sake get a new one while you have it all apart. :)

Hope this helps.

-Eric
      1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Yea, he's right. Since you have an 87, check to see where the crank position sensor is. Could be on the front or rear of motor.
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Alright will do. Thanks guys.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I could be mistaken, but if it's an 87 325e then it should be a "regular' eta and not a super eta. In that case you need a flywheel, and clutch assembly from a 4/86 or earlier car. Check your bell housing. If you have 2 reference sensors, you will need the earlier clutch and flywheel.

Comment

I have 2 sensors on the tranny side, and I know its not a super eta. I'm just sticking with the dual mass and getting the disk resurfaced in kevlar. I don't care too much about how fast it rev's i'll worry about it when the time comes.

Edit: How do I get the drive shaft out, I have everything unbolted from the tranny and the centre support bearing undone but it won't come down far enough to seperate.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                I have 2 sensors on the tranny side, and I know its not a super eta. I'm just sticking with the dual mass and getting the disk resurfaced in kevlar. I don't care too much about how fast it rev's i'll worry about it when the time comes.

Edit: How do I get the drive shaft out, I have everything unbolted from the tranny and the centre support bearing undone but it won't come down far enough to seperate.
                There's the center coupling - should be right near the CSB - loosen that, than you can push the two driveshaft halves together.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

The giant nut near the CSB?
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

The giant nut near the CSB?
                    Yep. Wraps around the spline in the middle of the shaft.
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Ok, so basically i'm down to pretty much getting the starter out.. It took me 2 hours to get 1 bolt out. Oh man am I in for a treat. I got my 325is spoiler though, ballin!
                      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Ok, so basically i'm down to pretty much getting the starter out.. It took me 2 hours to get 1 bolt out. Oh man am I in for a treat. I got my 325is spoiler though, ballin!
                        Tell me about it. I'm in the middle of this mess also. Luckly I have a decent shop and more than one car. So it pretty much turned into a full scale re-build since i pulled the motor out. It will all be worth it . I should get my lightened "i" flywheel back from the machine shop today.
                        1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

I can't get the one bolt on the top left off. once that comes off the tranny should literally fall off.
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

How do I know if I have an eta or i single mass flywheel?

I picked up a manual swap and I know it's an early model because it has the reference pin. If I use all 1985 eta stuff on a late model i car, should things be ok?

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                            X