X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1991 318i Slicktop SFBayArea

SOLD!

Hey R3V.

I'm selling my 1991 318i Slicktop. I actually bought this car on there from another member a little over 10 years ago. I don't get to drive it as much as I would like, and would rather see it go to someone that is going to drive it. This car is far from a collector piece, but body is solid being a West Coast car it's whole life. I took pictures that are representative of the current condition, no detail to make it look good here. Looking for $6,000 OBO.

Details:
    1991 318i Slicktop Four Door 1/91 Production
    Alpine White over Black Comfort seats
    233,300ish miles
    Factory 4.10 LSD (since upgraded to a medium case 4.10 LSD
    Title in hand, smogged and ready to go. Located in San Francisco
    $6,000 OBO

Bad:
    Paint is shot as you can see from the photos. It's very dry, and will need a respray if you want to make it look nice. The front right was hit long before I got the car, and you can see the clear from the repair coming off on the hood and fender in the photos. This car has single stage paint everywhere else, and as far as I can tell, that was the only paintwork. As you can see in the photos, lots of little rust spots, the only two that ever concerned me are the ones on the trunk and the driver rear door under the moulding. Both haven't gotten any worse since I've owned the car.
    Trim is in mostly good shape, I've replaced the bumper trim on the rear center and right side from a small fender bender.
    Interior is in decent shape, couple of wiggles are the trim on the b-pillar is coming apart on the driver's side. Shift boot and hand brake boot should be replaced. Driver floorboard carpet has a sizable hole from my heel. Carpet is dirty, could be cleaned up a bit. Dash has a couple cracks in it that have steadily grown over the years (how many don't really). You've noticed the leaking LCD on the clock, I have another that works fine that will come with the car. Some of the trunk trim is not installed, but I do have it.
    Power Steering has been deleted, the original steering rack leaked a little, as did all the power steering lines, so when I put the motor back together, I deleted it.
    A/C is also deleted. It was still running on R12 when I pulled the engine (more details on that below) I decided I didn't want to deal with it, so I didn't re-install. The condenser and all the lines are still there. I think I have the AC pump as well which still works, but it would be tough to get it refilled with R12, and I never looked into converting it to R134A.
    Some shake from the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Not sure why, the control arms, tie rods and all the bushings have been replaced, I think it may have to have the wheels rebalanced, and the rotors could stand to be replaced, in 50k miles, it hasn't needed brakes, and those rotors were old when I bought the car a decade ago.
    Rear wheel bearing is starting to make noise, will need to be replaced in the future.
    Tachometer is off by about 200 RPM, not sure why, never really investigated it.
    Heater valve that controls coolant flow to the heater core is stuck open, so you can feel the heat by your right foot.
    Center console is a little wobbly, never bothered me.

Good + Modifications:
    Car is on BavAuto lowering springs with Bilstein Sport shocks/struts. The shocks/struts were replaced in the last 3k miles.
    Control arms are relatively new
    Treehouse racing urethane FCABS with M3 Offset (though I would go back to M3 solid rubber if I were keeping the car)
    Urethane RTABs and rear subframe mounts
    Medium case 4.10 LSD
    Weighted ZHP shift knob
    New Radiator and expansion tank
    Engine has been gone through at about 230k, I stripped it to the shortblock and installed late M42 head (6mm valve stems) and late M42 timing case (no more idler gear in the timing case).
    I have the MarkD 91 octane chip (raises the redline to 7100), but it's running the factory chip right now.
    New waterpump/thermostat when the engine was put back together
    Put a new clutch in at 182k when I got it.
    Just had the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced
    New Guibo when motor was gone through
    Mess under the intake addressed most of those hoses are newer.
    Husco armrest with cupholders!

This is a great driver car, tons of fun on the backroads (which is where I usually drive it). The cosmetics were never a point for me, I kinda liked the patina, so I never bothered to fix the paint. I still love this car and hate to see it go, but I'd rather it get driven than sit in front of my parents house getting flatspotted tires and rusty rotors.

Detailed High Res Photos Here
    Last edited by Gloff; 09-09-2021, 09:13 PM.
    1991 BMW 318i Alpinweiß II Slicktop 231,000 Miles Build date: Wednesday, 1/30/1991
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i Sterlinggrau Metallic 112,000 Miles Build Date: Monday 12/9/2002

Bump
    1991 BMW 318i Alpinweiß II Slicktop 231,000 Miles Build date: Wednesday, 1/30/1991
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i Sterlinggrau Metallic 112,000 Miles Build Date: Monday 12/9/2002

Comment

Willing to hear offers.

Comment

Nothing? On to CL it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Gloff View Post
          Nothing? On to CL it goes!
          I have read through this ad thinking "this is a good deal" several times, and then re-look at the photos and the rust that shows up quite a bit on the car is intimidating. It is either nothing, or detrimental, depending on whether or not it is surface from above, or coming up from underneath.

Have you considered sanding down any of the spots that exist in expensive-to-repair areas to verify that it is indeed surface?

I have several guys looking for cars that I have sent this car to, and their hesitation seems to be based on the above.

Just thinking out loud, GLWS.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            I have read through this ad thinking "this is a good deal" several times, and then re-look at the photos and the rust that shows up quite a bit on the car is intimidating. It is either nothing, or detrimental, depending on whether or not it is surface from above, or coming up from underneath.

Have you considered sanding down any of the spots that exist in expensive-to-repair areas to verify that it is indeed surface?

I have several guys looking for cars that I have sent this car to, and their hesitation seems to be based on the above.

Just thinking out loud, GLWS.
            Thank you for the notes.
            The rust is all superficial, I live near the coast, and it attacks fallout immediately. I encourage anyone considering it to look at it first, they'll see it's all on the surface except the ones highlighted on the trunk and under rear driver door sill trim.

No doubt about it, it needs a full repaint with some minor bodywork, I just don't care about the cosmetics. For me it was about spending money where it counts, hence all the modifications to the timing system and head.

Also happy to take more photos, I have access to a lift so if someone wants underbody photos I can oblige

Comment

Bump

Comment

$5500 bump!

Comment

Sold!

Comment

Working...
                  X