1988 E30 325i, for parts or repair (runs and drives)--Toronto, Canada area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 E30 325i, for parts or repair (runs and drives)--Toronto, Canada area

It's sadly time to say goodbye to the car that started me off as an enthusiast. It's served me well, but a lack of space and having to focus all my time and money on the E39 make this necessary. I need US$1100/1300CAD to make it worth my while and not part it out.

I'll be frank right off the bat: this car, should you decide to save it, will require a lot of work. The main issue is rust, and it has a ground issue affecting two circuits.

It's an E30-chassis 1988 325i 4dr, manual, Royalblau (mostly) over beige (mostly). The first owner bought it in Ottawa, Canada in 02/1988, and sold it to the second owner a year later. I picked it up from this second owner, who had too many cars and had parked it in a field for some time. I drove it as a DD at first, then as a summer car. Currently has 211xxx kms with a 100% functional odometer (approx 130k miles).

It is one of 6 Royalblau on beige 1988 manual 325i cars ever made for the Canadian market--none were made for the USA. It came pretty nicely optioned from the factory, with premium sound, 13-button OBC, 3.73 LSD, maplight mirror and sport steering wheel (oh my!)

In brief: the M20B25 pulls nice and strong, but has an idle issue--it seems to behave like a cammed V8, rather lumpy and throws CELs if idled at operating temp for too long. I've replaced the AFM, DME, injectors and vacuum lines, to no avail. The only error I could find in the CEL was a 'mixture control fault'. Runs perfectly fine above idle. New Gates timing belt, water pump done at 204xxx kms last fall. Never overheats, even in stopped traffic on the hottest days of the summer. AC belt removed, doubtful if the system works (button lights up).

The body is a sorry thing: the PO resprayed half of it in a different colour (to blend in some bodywork he had rather poorly done on the driver's fender). I've replaced that fender with another rust-free one, but the paint shop messed up and lightly dented it; the paint is also peeling in spots. I've tried removing the rattlecan purple as best I could, but the hood is a capharnaum of shitty paint and different colours. The passenger fender lost its bottom quarter, which appears to be bondo. There is rust on the front doors around the trim, on the rocker panel joints (the passenger rocker is also caved in somewhat--long story, also involves the passenger front footwell being a sea of fibreglass), the battery tray, jack tray and both front jack points. The underbody aside from that is in pretty good shape. I rarely drive it on the highway, but I had a wobble at 110kph last time I did. Three of the four tires are finished, one is almost new. The wheels are Rial RS6s, very rare from a 1995 Sierra Cosworth; I think they are bent at least slightly, and have some curb rash. They come with four 8mm hubcentric spacers. I should also add that the dash is crack-free, it has E36 window switches, and that the right side parking brake is inop due to missing hardware (inlcuded in sale, needs new cable).

I took it on the highway today, there is a definite shake at 105-118 kph, and it seems the tires have a rather bad flat spot. I ordered some new shifter bushings which will be included in the sale. Rust on sunroof as well, but I have a rust-free replacement panel.

The last big issue is the electrical ground fault. I'm 95% sure it's due to corrrosion in two wires running along the driver's door sill. As a result, the OBC, tach and econometer are inoperative except in rainstroms. The radio and antenna works, but will not save presets. The antenna sometimes requires the radio to be cycled on/off to raise. The left interior dome light is inop, the right works. The reverse lights work 80% of the time. ABS inoperative as well, due to a faulty sensor (relay removed).

Aside from that, it's a good E30, it has never let me down. Oil changes every 5000 kms with Castrol GTX, new radiator, fan clutch, many bushings and other parts replaced--I have a spreadsheet recording this. It has a set of E36 sport seats in the front (rare in cloth, manual and heated form) with custom brackets. Also has a 185mm Mtech 1 wheel and front lip, and HID kits for the ellipsoids.

Many spares will be included; a full clutch kit, several bushings, a pair of E30 leather sport seats in 80% good condition (some tearing, mechanicals and foam intact), extra DMEs and many others.

Out of province/country buyers will have no problem driving it anywhere--I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross-country with some new wheels/tires.

I'm sure I'm forgetting much, I'll include anything that comes to mind in a later post. Pics on request via emailed link in the coming few days once it gets nice out. Again, I need $1100 US/$1300 CAD. Thanks for looking.

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tcolnjuud...l-xBF5vca?dl=0

Negotiable on price if you leave out some spares :)

Comment

Sold, thanks for all the interest.

Comment

Working...
      X