WTB 1987-1991 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB 1987-1991 325is

Located in Atlanta, GA. I have $6,000 max.

Doesnt have to be showroom but something clean. Generally well kept interior, healthy motor, no detrimental damage or rust on the body. Willing to replace a front fender if need be.
    Color is not much of a factor, open to a bronzit but I will stray away from it if given the opportunity.
    Black and generally stock interior is preferable.
    5 Spd m20b25 of course.
    Open to dealing with nit-picky or common and small E30 problems like cracked dash's or broken odo gears.
    Open to buying a car with common modifications like lowering/sport springs and shocks, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket steering rack, etc.
    No early model cars with facelift/late model plastic bumper conversions. Im cool with both early and late models, but im not a fan of the early car with plastic bumpers combination.

Thanks!

Better double your budget sir.....values are on the move up, up, and away.....and I don't even mean for showroom condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant131313 View Post
      Better double your budget sir.....values are on the move up, up, and away.....and I don't even mean for showroom condition.
      Double??!! Man... thats discouraging. I can understand theyre good cars but is the market that high?

Comment

fuzzyrhino5 I would say you can find something decent around $8-10k, but yeah, $6k probably won't get you too far. Check bringatrailer.com for average prices, it's sort of set the market as of the last few years. See what e30s go for $6-8k and you'll get a better idea of the market. Good luck!
        📸 @joyfilledpursuit
        📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

You can find a decent one within your budget, but you'll have to act fast. My 90 I bought a year ago was about that price and in Atlanta. It was very clean compared to most of them that are out there, but it has needed thousands to get in reliable driver condition. Even the nicest E30 you find will be somewhat of a project. One where the owner was meticulous and has kept on top of everything would probably be in the $20k region.
          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Keep a look out for a 318is as well. It's better IMO than the 325is (just a teeny bit slower, but more advanced engine with timing chain, better MPG, and better handling), but it does lack some of the higher end features like CC and OBC. I suppose those could be retrofitted if you wanted though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzyrhino5 View Post
              Located in Atlanta, GA. I have $6,000 max.

Doesnt have to be showroom but something clean. Generally well kept interior, healthy motor, no detrimental damage or rust on the body. Willing to replace a front fender if need be.
              Color is not much of a factor, open to a bronzit but I will stray away from it if given the opportunity.
              Black and generally stock interior is preferable.
              5 Spd m20b25 of course.
              Open to dealing with nit-picky or common and small E30 problems like cracked dash's or broken odo gears.
              Open to buying a car with common modifications like lowering/sport springs and shocks, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket steering rack, etc.
              No early model cars with facelift/late model plastic bumper conversions. Im cool with both early and late models, but im not a fan of the early car with plastic bumpers combination.

Thanks!
              After reading your post...I think I'm going to repair mine. Thanks for the motivation!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                Keep a look out for a 318is as well. It's better IMO than the 325is (just a teeny bit slower, but more advanced engine with timing chain, better MPG, and better handling), but it does lack some of the higher end features like CC and OBC. I suppose those could be retrofitted if you wanted though.
                Andrew325is Ive seen a decent amount of $5-6k 325is's throughout the last 4-5 months, my search criteria certainly sounds stricter than I actually feel. I thought offering to pay the higher end of that small spectrum might garner some better results, but im realizing now im asking for at least a $7-8k car in this post. I think the most id pay for either variant is $7,000 once I have the money, otherwise id just move into the low end e36 M3 range (not the goal).

Im actually considering a 318is but the extra power and aftermarket options are steering me towards the M20. I have yet to test drive either of the variants, the better fuel economy and timing chain in the m42 seem like very sound options, considering I will be DD'ing. The fact that 318is's are only late models is very cool too, but I LOVE MTech 1's. Theres a 318is I have my eye on but its priced about $1k above my budget, very clean car so im not sure I could bring the seller down that much, plus id need funds to get it inspected then travel to get it. I dont care much for the OBC or cruise control. My only concern is performance. Now I know E30's dont really win in straight lines but if theres more power to be had, why not? I asked a few buddies of mine, that work in a BMW shop, what they thought of the M42 variant... they said id be bored (which I dont really believe considering I drive an 88' Chrysler boat right now). The problem is I don't have any way of proving this to myself. Otherwise, this 318is would be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by d:\program View Post
                  After reading your post...I think I'm going to repair mine. Thanks for the motivation!
                  d:\program Get at it! It might be costly but if you do it right it could certainly be worth it.

Comment

I would suggest driving one of each and seeing how they feel to you. An E36 318ti or Z3 1.9 will drive similar to a 318is so you could look for one of those to test drive nearby. I'm not sure what you could test drive that would be similar to a 325is. Maybe a Z3 2.3.

Comment

I think you can 100% find that kind of a car for $5-6K. Keep and eye out in the southern Midwest (like TN and KY). Be willing to act fast and travel. The deals are still there, but if you're looking on eBay and BAT you're only going to see the bloated side of the E30 market. FB marketplace, E30 FB groups, and word of mouth are your friends. I'll try to link a few FB ads I've found over the past few weeks here.

The "rust free" part you're going to have to be very cautious about, or negotiable on. E30s hide rust very well, all sorts of different places. There are common rust areas, but I have seen different cars rust out in very different ways.

Fairly clean '87 iS in TN, $2500 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0632424053994/

Clean '87 iS in OH, $6K https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7787401458139/

Pretty nice '89 iS in MI. Needs a fuel tank. $2500 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8511851854915/

And I know this isn't an iS, but I spoke in depth with this seller and this car is CLEAN rust-wise for the money. It's a great deal on a calypso sedan, in Nashville. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8216774397559/

Anyway, hope that helps at least encourage you to keep looking. You will find the right car in your price range.
                      Last edited by AWDBOB; 01-24-2020, 01:45 PM.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

There are 2 E30 325is near me for sub 6k (east coast). Both are drive-able and have fine paint 10-12k for an average 325is is crack head prices you can still pick up great 325i cars for 3-4k.
                        85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

From what I’ve seen, the “bubble” has burst. I know of 2 super clean late model 325is e30’s for exactly $6,000. One is a bagged bronzit with a 2.8 stoker and beautiful paint and body. The other is black M50 swapped with beautiful paint and body. I’m having a hard time deciding on which one to buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X