No announcement yet.

Fully refurbished OEM BMW Alpine CM5907 and CM5908 slider radios, Trunk Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a suggestion: There are likely a lot of cores out there. Maybe think about posting a core purchase policy in your thread. Electronic items are tough to price so it would be helpful to the seller to know a flat price or a price and timeframe if a nice unit needs to be checked out. Good luck man
    Last edited by packratbimmer; 10-11-2019, 06:39 AM. Reason: Cheers

Comment

• bradnic
      bradnic commented
      Editing a comment
      Core pricing is tricky, especially with the typical situation of folks pulling radios in junk yards without codes, not able to power them up etc.

I try to be fair, but that requires a full radio inspection.
      - Some parts can be repaired, but it takes time and $$. Time is super scarce.
      - Some parts can’t be repaired or reused at all
      - I’ve seen a good 10-20% of externally good looking cores fried internally, or having tuner problems that can’t be fixed. At that point all you’re really buying is a faceplate, maybe an LCD and a volume control, if you’re really lucky a slider board.

I’ll keep working at it, since even an unrepairable unit has some basic value for replacement parts.

I could certainly try a fast track policy for untested stuff. It will always be less than trying to sell yourself on eBay, but it would be quick and guaranteed.

Im just not going to repair peoples radios anymore. If they don’t work I’ll accept them as a core.

Will need to think about it more.
      Last edited by bradnic; 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM.

I found Brad's post and website about 6 months ago. I sent in a well used CM5908 and had a refurbishment and BT install performed. I wasn't sure I could figure out the wiring post aftermarket radio, but I did and I have to say that his work is top notch. The radio and BT work and sound excellent IMO. I'm not an audiophile, but I was quite shocked at how good the ancient factory speakers sounded. I'll probably replace those at some point.

Thanks Brad!

Comment

Just shipped a BT 5908 for the first time since June. To those of you remaining on the wait list, thanks once again for your incredible patience. I should have the remaining radios out by end of October.

I do intend to offer these services again, but with a few changes:
      -- I plan to sell only sell from existing inventory. This will eliminate the delay issues. It will also restrict sales to only inventory on hand.
      -- You will need to provide a core radio in exchange. If your core looks better cosmetically than my inventory unit I'll swap things like faceplates out so you get your best radio.
      -- I will only work on tape decks by exception, and it won't be cheap. If I do 2-3 a year that's about it.
      -- I have lost money on just about every radio I've worked on. So my prices are going to go up.

So this basically means I won't be repairing radios on demand anymore, only buying cores outright and accepting radios for exchange. I should be able to handle 1-2 radios a month this way.

For those of you that get priced out of the market, I intend to post some self-service repair info. Since i'm not making money here anyway I'm willing to do that. Just don't fool yourself that it's an easy job. When the radios go the boards get damaged. So it's not just a part replacement task.

I'll provide another update in a couple of months.
      Last edited by bradnic; 09-30-2019, 03:27 PM.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Based on my experience with Brad...I find it hard to believe that he would conduct himself in an unprofessional manner. I've know Brad for a number of years. although we haven't been in touch for some time. he has always been as helpful as possible with my inquiries. Ive met him and his wife personally when he drove up to Toronto to Take back a hard top from me. Sometimes people get their wires crossed. Heck, we're only human. Doesn't mean we write people off because someone might be having a bad day.(s) The hardest occupation is having to deal with people. Heck I've made good friends from those I had misunderstandings with in the beginning. shit happens, move on. Put it behind you. life's too short..:-) You'll never make everyone happy.
        sigpic

Comment

I received a warranty return a couple of weeks ago that I just got to. It was working perfectly when shipped, proof via a 2 minute video.

anyway, it ain’t working now. Customer gets hosed and my time is limited. bad Karma.

i refunded his money in full including shipping.
          i will give him dibs to buy another one when I have it available. It will have a full 120 day warranty when shipped.

i don’t want people’s money if their radios don’t do what they are supposed to.
          i won’t take deposits.
          i will sell radios when I have them available.
          They’re not gonna be cheap. you will pay for my time, supplies and expertise.
          I’ll make sure you’re satisfied
          im still not gonna make any money doing this.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Hey Brad. I've got a stock unit in my e28 that works perfectly except the cassette tries to autoreverse itself every 3 seconds, though sometimes it works fine.
            I got a spare from a junkyard but realized after it has a code.
            How hard would it be to swap the cassette mechanism from one to the other, assuming it's working?
            1988 325iC SOLD
            1985 524td 49k

Comment

First, I apologize if it's against forum rules to bump this.

I just purchased my first E30 (a beautifully unmodified 1991 318is) and I am looking to replace the aftermarket radio with a refurbished OEM one. Half a dozen Google searches and some stunning pictures have led me here. Is this refurb service still available? If so, how would you like me to go about it? I will accommodate the process in whatever way I am able to. I am local to Erie, PA. Pricing is not an issue. Karma will be returned with gratitude.

Please let me know what you think? And thank you for your time.

Comment

Welcome to R3V! The short answer to your question “sort of, but not for a while because Corona”. Here is present status:

- all my gear is in NY state. I now live in NC, so I don’t have access to my radio tools and inventory at the moment.
                - I still have some Cantaloupe BT inventory available, intended for refurbs
                - I’ve been talking to Jay at Cantaloupe regarding board support. Board repairs and exchanges require dedicated inventory and test equipment. Any boards I take from inventory for this need to be replaced.
                - We have also been discussing plans to produce additional inventory. We are sorting through that.
                - I don’t do individual refurbs anymore, only a swap service (see the first post). That requires inventory though, which I can’t work on until I get back to NY

bottom line.. please check back in the fall.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Sent you a PM - I am in for a CM5908 when you have access to your stock again.

Daniel
                  1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                  2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

+1, add me to this list once you're available

Comment

Add me to the list for 4 exchanges when they’re available. Thanks
                      sigpic
                      Current:
                      92 325ic Mtech 770
                      99’ 528it
                      Past:
                      02’ 325it - 88' 735i - 88' 325ic - 89' 325is - 85' 325e
                      90' 535i - 95' 530i - 03' 530i - 88' 325ic

Comment

Please add me to the list as well!
                        Thanks and stay safe.
                        89 - 325i now
                        91 - 325i RIP
                        99 - e36 M3 then
                        89 - 325i then
                        98 - e36 M3 then

Comment

FYI on eBay won’t last

I have ZERO connection to this seller and have no idea if the radio was repaired properly. But it does have a Canteloupe board. BE SURE TO ASK WHAT VERSION!!!

UPDATE: I checked the pics out - it is an older version of the board with the metal noise shield and mic connector on the board.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by bradnic; 04-27-2020, 01:24 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Brad - how does that price ($450) compare to what you were (or will be) charging minus core charge? It is not clear from this thread how much you were charging previously. Also, how does the "older version" board of that listing compare to what Cantaloupe is offering now?

P.s. I am leaning to wait for you to restart operations and doing an exchange with one of your fully tested HU then going for an unknown on eBay.

Daniel
                            1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                            2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Hi all - bradnic if you are making a list please add me to it - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X