Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Duty Skid Plate Group Buy (Closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGee
    replied
    I have never heard of or got a report of someone damaging their frame from a hard skid plate hit. I am pretty certain that if someone encounters a hit that hard, they would have much bigger things to worry about.

The HIK Fab Severe Duty skid plate is a proven superior design. That being said even the most heavy duty skid plate has a "lifetime". If you are running with ground down "V ribs" or a bent plate, you are running on borrowed time. Please get it repaired!

JH

Leave a comment:

• grinchxvx
    replied
    Originally posted by sandrune View Post
    I guess because it's so stiff and hard the frame would bend or buckle where it's welded in? It'd have to be a hard hit, probably like the one you had that set off your airbags, but even then I don't know. Maybe take a glance at it and let us know if you see any signs of stress? I still slow down a ton whenever there's railroads or bumps or dips so I never really hit hard. But there's always those surprises.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I figured it would break the welds before that, I check the paint and welds on the frame and nothing had cracks of chips so I'm assuming it's fine.
    I usually do too but i didn't think the tracks stuck up that much. I'm going back to stock e30 drop hats soon so hopefully I don't hit everything like I am now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• sandrune
    replied
    Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
    How so? I'm definitely one of the top abusers of this skid plate so just wondering how that works

I guess because it's so stiff and hard the frame would bend or buckle where it's welded in? It'd have to be a hard hit, probably like the one you had that set off your airbags, but even then I don't know. Maybe take a glance at it and let us know if you see any signs of stress? I still slow down a ton whenever there's railroads or bumps or dips so I never really hit hard. But there's always those surprises.

Leave a comment:

• grinchxvx
    replied
    Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I'm not sure this is the same unit I've read about, but if it is it can damage the frame of the car on a hard hit. I'd rather have a cracked oil pan.

How so? I'm definitely one of the top abusers of this skid plate so just wondering how that works

Leave a comment:

• GG///M3
    replied
    I'm not sure this is the same unit I've read about, but if it is it can damage the frame of the car on a hard hit. I'd rather have a cracked oil pan.

Leave a comment:

• soltani
    replied
    Do you plan on doing another group buy?

Leave a comment:

• Peelsbimmer
    replied
    I've already asked like three times already. Someone else's turn. Lol

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• E30xium
    replied
    ^

"Stand tall and shake the heaven."

Leave a comment:

• Peelsbimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
    This
    Sadly.....he said he wasnt![emoji27]
    Maybe if enough of us ask.....he might....

Leave a comment:

• GG///M3
    replied
    Originally posted by Peelsbimmer View Post
    Do you plan on doing another group buy?!?!

This

Leave a comment:

• Peelsbimmer
    replied
    😰

Leave a comment:

• JGee
    replied
    Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
    Big thanks to John for making such a beefy skidplate. I hit some train tracks in downtown slc going about 40 today and the airbag deployed because of how hard I hit them but my pan was safe. Put a big ass dent right Behind the support bar but it was really a hell of a hit. Glad I had this plate on and not another red 46 because my pan would definitely be a goner.

NICE!

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
    Ok so quick question: this skid plate welds onto the car. How do you remove it for regular maintenance of things. Say I want to drop my oil pan, can I not do that with this plate installed?
    The question was all ready answered (Thanks Guys)
    The only thing welded to the car are the stubs, that the hoop is bolted to. They are welded directly to the frame rails and are only about 1.5" tall. So no interference what so ever.

Originally posted by Peelsbimmer View Post

Nope sorry. :-(

JH

Leave a comment:

• Peelsbimmer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BaltimoreBimmer
    replied
    Forgot topress reply in my last post. Whoops.

I don't see how it wouldn't work with the tools you have. Think it's just some size 10 nuts and bolts and some use a small Allen key. Not 100% sure on the sizes but they're basic tools. Once it's been installed it probably can be removed and mounted in 5 minutes depending on how fast you are. You can drop the the engine that way just remember that you're going to have to get your car up HIGH. Are you switching to a different engine or just refreshing this one? Because different motors have different plates.

Just a mega refresh so I'd rather tear it down outside of the car and have some time to clean up the bay itself. Plus always wanted a picture of me in the engine bay :p. It's mostly for the experience and is kind of why I bought the car: to tinker with cuz not my DD

But yeah. A rentable garage just opened up down the block from me so I'm planning on putting my e30 away once it get gross out and plan on scrubbing her down and giving her some love. I'm also convinced the PO put a lightweight flywheel in because the tranny chatter is unreal in neutral.

Leave a comment:

• grinchxvx
    replied
    I imagine the majority of that was hammering that big dent out hahah this plate doesn't like to move at all

The middle was actually touching the pan, it had rubbed off the black powder coating where the fins of the oil pan were touching the plate. I was almost the 3rd person to break a pan through this thing. I had no other choice really

Leave a comment:

Working...
X