Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Duty Skid Plate Group Buy (Closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup.. i think i need one of these for the touring!
    sending PM now lol

Comment

Big thanks to John for making such a beefy skidplate. I hit some train tracks in downtown slc going about 40 today and the airbag deployed because of how hard I hit them but my pan was safe. Put a big ass dent right Behind the support bar but it was really a hell of a hit. Glad I had this plate on and not another red 46 because my pan would definitely be a goner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More proof how awesome this skidplate is!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Wow, if that's not a testament, I don't know what is!
          Zelig the Zinno • 300k and counting
          http://instagram.com/zelig.the.zinno

Comment

Ok so quick question: this skid plate welds onto the car. How do you remove it for regular maintenance of things. Say I want to drop my oil pan, can I not do that with this plate installed?

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
              Ok so quick question: this skid plate welds onto the car. How do you remove it for regular maintenance of things. Say I want to drop my oil pan, can I not do that with this plate installed?

No the support bar welds to the car then you bolt to that. It doesn't get in the way of anything really.

Comment

The upper mounts are welded to your frame. The bar bolts to that and then the plate bolts to the bar and the steering rack. All is removable except for the little mount which in no way will get in the way

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
                '91 318is
                sigpic

Comment

Ok so just to be clear: is it possible to drop the front subframe as one piece perhaps with the motor? Idk what approach I will take (going to have the engine/tranny out) but I want to make sure this skid plate works with the tools I have assuming I install it before the overhaul (makes no sense to do this but sometimes I'm lazy)

Comment

Last edited by sandrune; 09-12-2016, 09:14 AM.
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok so just to be clear: is it possible to drop the front subframe as one piece perhaps with the motor? Idk what approach I will take (going to have the engine/tranny out) but I want to make sure this skid plate works with the tools I have assuming I install it before the overhaul (makes no sense to do this but sometimes I'm lazy)
                      Forgot topress reply in my last post. Whoops.

I don't see how it wouldn't work with the tools you have. Think it's just some size 10 nuts and bolts and some use a small Allen key. Not 100% sure on the sizes but they're basic tools. Once it's been installed it probably can be removed and mounted in 5 minutes depending on how fast you are. You can drop the the engine that way just remember that you're going to have to get your car up HIGH. Are you switching to a different engine or just refreshing this one? Because different motors have different plates.

'91 318is
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sandrune View Post
                        I don't see how it wouldn't work with the tools you have. Think it's just some size 10 nuts and bolts and some use a small Allen key. Not 100% sure on the sizes but they're basic tools. Once it's been installed it probably can be removed and mounted in 5 minutes depending on how fast you are. You can drop the the engine that way just remember that you're going to have to get your car up HIGH. Are you switching to a different engine or just refreshing this one? Because different motors have different plates.

It took me about an hour to get my car up in the air, get the skid plate off, hammer it out, add some washers, and get it back together

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
                          It took me about an hour to get my car up in the air, get the skid plate off, hammer it out, add some washers, and get it back together

I imagine the majority of that was hammering that big dent out hahah this plate doesn't like to move at all

'91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

I imagine the majority of that was hammering that big dent out hahah this plate doesn't like to move at all

The middle was actually touching the pan, it had rubbed off the black powder coating where the fins of the oil pan were touching the plate. I was almost the 3rd person to break a pan through this thing. I had no other choice really

Comment

Forgot topress reply in my last post. Whoops.

Just a mega refresh so I'd rather tear it down outside of the car and have some time to clean up the bay itself. Plus always wanted a picture of me in the engine bay :p. It's mostly for the experience and is kind of why I bought the car: to tinker with cuz not my DD

But yeah. A rentable garage just opened up down the block from me so I'm planning on putting my e30 away once it get gross out and plan on scrubbing her down and giving her some love. I'm also convinced the PO put a lightweight flywheel in because the tranny chatter is unreal in neutral.

Comment

Do you plan on doing another group buy?!?!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
                                Holy shit did you even read this post before you posted?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/announcement.php?f=156

This thread sure sucked last night. It just plain sucked. I've seen threads suck before but this is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X