No announcement yet.

German Engineering Keyless Entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered mine with e46 style. glad to know the info about the locksmith
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      Put me on the list for blanks as well. Device arrived quickly and works like it should but my locksmith also had some trouble and miscut one of the keys.
      add me to the list for the flip style key blanks when they arrive ,these seem to be giving even the professional locksmiths issues , the new blanks are slightly narrower than the factory key at the base and so you cannot cut the stop shoulder into the base of the key so and that plus the fact that the second smaller rib is lower can cause the key blank to tip in the machine and not cut correctly which happened on my locksmiths first try (key would work in ign tumbler but only one way ,and not work in any door lock) so locksmith tried a different setup and got second to work (he almost wouldnt cut it till i told him i could get replacements) but since stop shoulder isnt there to stop key going into tumbler to far you have to be careful and play with the key as you turn it in tumblers. at least i have one sort of working ,now that locksmith knows issue he feels can do better on next set of blanks.
      Angus
      88 E30M3 X2
      89 325IX
      92 R100GS/PD
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
        add me to the list for the flip style key blanks when they arrive ,these seem to be giving even the professional locksmiths issues , the new blanks are slightly narrower than the factory key at the base and so you cannot cut the stop shoulder into the base of the key so and that plus the fact that the second smaller rib is lower can cause the key blank to tip in the machine and not cut correctly which happened on my locksmiths first try (key would work in ign tumbler but only one way ,and not work in any door lock) so locksmith tried a different setup and got second to work (he almost wouldnt cut it till i told him i could get replacements) but since stop shoulder isnt there to stop key going into tumbler to far you have to be careful and play with the key as you turn it in tumblers. at least i have one sort of working ,now that locksmith knows issue he feels can do better on next set of blanks.
        I wish I read this before trying to cut my keys this morning, one did not work at all, the second one was shoulder cut and worked one way but not the other then the same key did not work at all.

Going to order new blanks and try again.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          Any updates on the blanks?
          Bump

--->>>1988 SETA 2.7i Build Thread (Turbo Prep)<<<---

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
            The center is lock. The trunk button can be used for whatever. One guy hooked it up to his garage door opener remote
            Does anyone know how do you hook this up to a garage door opener?

Comment

Recently picked up a z3m roadster. Would you happen to know the wiring configuration for that?
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Just got my keys - only cut one to test, thanks to all of the warnings re: locksmiths, etc. - sure enough, it doesn't work in the ignition. I just removed the key and am using the fob as a remote, which will work for me, but if you are expecting to have the keys work, I'd go to the best locksmith you can find and have them cut the key. I think the stop-shoulder is the issue here, as the keys look identical (the one he cut that works and the GE key that doesn't) except for the stop shoulder. The blank key is narrower at the shoulder than the standard BMW keys. Other than that, install went smoothly and the instructions here and on other threads are great for installation guidelines.
                1985 Bronzit 318i sedan
                Snoqualmie, WA

Comment

The stop shoulder is the issue and I'll bring it to the attention of a different locksmith, when I am able to order some new blanks to cut.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

bump for info
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Quick Taps

One last thing - I used the quick taps for the lights and lock connections, and three of the four took, but I'm going to have to go back in and reconnect the unlock connection - checking YouTube, many professional installers hate the quick taps and like the old-school splice-and-tape method due to its time tested reliability. When I go back in, I'll probably remove the taps and splice the wire old-school so I know the connection will last over time. I did splice the power connection directly, so I know that'll be good -

Also, I discovered that the locksmith key that works in the ignition doesn't work in the trunk - just a warning for future buyers to expect potential problems in cutting/using the keys as the width isn't to spec. Not a big deal for me as I'm just going to use the fob as a remote, but if you have your heart set on the e36 keys be aware that the cutting has to be done by a professional who is confident in their abilities.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the purchase and the installation instructions - quick delivery, etc. - buy with confidence (with the above reservations).

--Tom
                      1985 Bronzit 318i sedan
                      Snoqualmie, WA

Comment

Currently ordering a keyless entry with the e46 key!

Comment

Hey, so just got mine in the mail. Was wondering if the wire sticking out is supposed to be there and also why the case is cracked like it is in the pic. Also, your inbox is full. Thanks.

Support my E30 addiction! Buy my Wideband/Voltmeter Check Panels
                          HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Originally posted by biodose View Post
                            Hey, so just got mine in the mail. Was wondering if the wire sticking out is supposed to be there and also why the case is cracked like it is in the pic. Also, your inbox is full. Thanks.
                            The looped wire coming out is the antenna to extend the range of the remote. Not sure about the crack in the case, but if it all works just fine then I wouldn't sweat it since the module is tucked out of sight when installed.

Comment

Originally posted by biodose View Post
                              case shouldn't be cracked. they need to send you a replacement or issue partial refund
                              ------------------------------------
                              01.5 S4 Avant - Sold
                              88 325iS - In pieces
                              91 e34 - Totaled by some dumbass
                              90 325i - Daily
                              06 e91 - Sold

feedback thread

Comment

Interested in picking up a set when abailable. Pm me for payment :)
                                no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Working...
                                X