Stromung cat back Group Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TKuhl View Post
    Was late to the order but made it in time. Just got delivered on Thursday and installed today. Took about 2 hours total, I just cut old out bolts pipe rubber mounts and all. The new one went in real easy. I bought all new rubber mounts and muffler mounts. Everything fit great, my tailpipe is 1/2 “ off center so I’ll have to bend the straps a bit to get it to center. BTW don’t need the bottom straps, I should have looked closer oh well.

One question, how tight are you tightening the spring/bolts to the cat? I’ve got about 3/4” threads showing, spring not bottomed out, pretty snug but I didn’t muscle them too hard

tried to add a couple pics but file size too big from my phones camera (I’m technically deficient)
    Any droning at low RPM/

Comment

I wish I knew! I’m waiting on a fuel pump, first one arrived and was DOA. With current scarcity and delays and shipping delays, been over a month trying to get the car to run again. And with the pump finally arriving and then being dead, not sure when I’ll be able to hear it run.

It was a nice “win” yesterday though, installing this exhaust went really easy and straight forward.

Comment

Stan Hi Stan, I know I missed this past April's group buy. Do you know if there any "unclaimed" exhausts?

Thanks,
        Brian
        ‘84 e30
        '09 e61
        '03 e53

Comment

Originally posted by bc419 View Post
          Stan Hi Stan, I know I missed this past April's group buy. Do you know if there any "unclaimed" exhausts?

Thanks,
          Brian
          From time to time buyers will change their mind after they purchase. You might post that here. What car do you have? Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

From time to time buyers will change their mind after they purchase. You might post that here. What car do you have? Where are you located?
            Thanks for the tip!

If anyone has a dual tip, resonated, dual wall exhaust they are selling, let me know.

I have an '84 323i. The project is an m20 2.7 build (using the stock 731 head). At some point I'll need an exhaust so I'm putting it out there if someone has one they're selling.

Also, I'm in the Chicagoland area if there happens to be someone local. Thanks!
            ‘84 e30
            '09 e61
            '03 e53

Comment

Hi Stan , I am in for one too if they become available. Located in the SF bay area and I have an 88 325ic. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response, I was able to get in contact with Scott on the 4th, but was out of town until earlier this week. Very knowledgeable and nice guy to chat with. He mentioned that the lower muffler brackets are not needed because of the 4 tabs that are welded on to the muffler itself, which makes sense. But I've seen numerous pictures with them installed.

Originally posted by m3clutch View Post

that's good to know!

Also, that exhaust hanger bit looks like it's bent or something? Damaged in shipping? That aint right for sure.
                Originally posted by Aikmanson View Post

I’d have to agree, it looks like it got bent in shipping. I’m curious how they will resolve it, or if they will have you bend it back yourself and knock some $$$ off the price. Has anyone else received theirs to confirm if they too have the same issue? Mine hasn’t shipped yet, but Scott mentioned mine would go out a week later.
                Scott saw the pictures and said it was the worst bend he's ever seen, despite the extra padding and protection they added. What's odd is that there's no damage to the box at all.

He also suggested simply bending it back as well to align with the upper muffler bracket, which I did.

Originally posted by Toowav View Post
                I noticed that your tips are lower on the driver's side more, did you leave it alone or fix that after the video?

My tips are also lower on the left side and the muffler is biased more towards the passenger side. Did you leave this alone or fix it after the video?

I tried to move the muffler more towards the driver's side, but it looks like its constrained by the front muffler hanger (new OEM), which you can see is pretty stretched out here.

Comment

Originally posted by projectJTv4 View Post
                  Sorry for the delayed response, I was able to get in contact with Scott on the 4th, but was out of town until earlier this week. Very knowledgeable and nice guy to chat with. He mentioned that the lower muffler brackets are not needed because of the 4 tabs that are welded on to the muffler itself, which makes sense. But I've seen numerous pictures with them installed.

Scott saw the pictures and said it was the worst bend he's ever seen, despite the extra padding and protection they added. What's odd is that there's no damage to the box at all.

He also suggested simply bending it back as well to align with the upper muffler bracket, which I did.

I noticed that your tips are lower on the driver's side more, did you leave it alone or fix that after the video?

My tips are also lower on the left side and the muffler is biased more towards the passenger side. Did you leave this alone or fix it after the video?

I tried to move the muffler more towards the driver's side, but it looks like its constrained by the front muffler hanger (new OEM), which you can see is pretty stretched out here.
                  Can hangers be bent to achieve the desired configuration?

Comment

I am having the same fitment issues. My exhaust arrived with a severely bent tab, just as bad if not worse than the one showed on here. My exhaust is having the same drivers side sagging issues, to the point where the passenger tip is touching the valence. After massive work I managed to get it to not touch the valence, but it nowhere near straight and my front hanger is severely stretched. All hangers, rubber, straps, bolts, are all new OEM. I’ve had this thing on my lift since Tuesday and I’m pretty over it at this point honestly.

my photos are too big to post apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Aikmanson View Post
                      I am having the same fitment issues. My exhaust arrived with a severely bent tab, just as bad if not worse than the one showed on here. My exhaust is having the same drivers side sagging issues, to the point where the passenger tip is touching the valence. After massive work I managed to get it to not touch the valence, but it nowhere near straight and my front hanger is severely stretched. All hangers, rubber, straps, bolts, are all new OEM. I’ve had this thing on my lift since Tuesday and I’m pretty over it at this point honestly.

my photos are too big to post apparently.
                      are we discovering quality control issues in this thread now? I'm interested in investing in a new system when i weld in new cats...maybe I'll stick to my rusted out catback LOL good sound still! haha
                      Flickr

Comment

I didn’t end up following through with my exhaust for my m42 as I am doing an s50 swap now by end of year . Is there any options for e30 with a swap?

Comment

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
                          I didn’t end up following through with my exhaust for my m42 as I am doing an s50 swap now by end of year . Is there any options for e30 with a swap?
                          Send an email to Scott.

Comment

I have a single tip m42, and all brackets and welds looked great when I opened the box. I think quality was great on what came to me. I also used new hangers. After install, my tip was definitely all the way to the driver side and not centered, and the muffler itself does not sit level. I attribute this to 30 yr old cars and variance of hangers etc and not to the craftsmanship of Stromung. It all bolted right in very easy but the exact fit and center may need a little more finesse

I loosened it all up, found if you try to rotate the mid pipe between muffler and cat it will change the muffler/tailpipe a little although I did my best to keep this as tight to car as possible for ground clearance. What worked best for me, I put a block/wedge between the corner of the rear hanger and the spare tire well (you can sort of see this in the last picture above) then with my feet on driver side of muffler I pushed in, sort of bending that bracket a little bit, then holding it more to the passenger side I re tightened all the clamps. It fixed the centering of the tailpipe however the muffler still isn’t “level” but it doesn’t bother me enough to re bend stuff.

Last edited by TKuhl; 06-25-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

projectJTv4 I have not fixed it. I did struggle a lot because of how bent the tabs were.

Comment

Today or tomorrow, my mechanic is installing the one that ordered the end of last year.

I will report if there are any fitment issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X