No announcement yet.

CA Tuned HD axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to reattempt mine soon and will report back. Please let us know what you find out.
    Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Do the outer boots rub anywhere?

They protrude much further up the CV-joint than the oem boot.

Comment

uhm, just ordered a set, installing them after new years.

Comment

Originally posted by kristov View Post
          Do the outer boots rub anywhere?

They protrude much further up the CV-joint than the oem boot.
          Not that I noticed. I'll check my car tomorrow but I'm sure Igor wouldn't let that slip by.
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            I didn't contact them yet. That's why I posted here, to see if this is an actual concern or not. I'll contact them to discuss.
            Let us know how this turns out, definitely shouldn't be play in the splines.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              Let us know how this turns out, definitely shouldn't be play in the splines.
              They offered to send me a new one, I told them to hold off for now. I figured I'll give it a try and see how it holds up. Worst case, it'll blow the splines out, and I'll need to buy a new hub. They're not that expensive.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Igor is good people. Sorry I forgot to check the boots but I can't see them rubbing. Also mine have been installed for awhile, didn't notice any play in the hub, did a few events with them and we're fine.. Cars now at the shop getting some fab work done, will be punishing the axles this season with well over 500whp

Comment

Will be installing these soon and am somewhere between 400-500 crank hp.

Comment

Well, the good news is that after 1k miles or so of driving, the hub/axle play that I noticed does not appear to be causing any issues. The nut is still tight, and so the outer CV joint and hub have zero play with the nut still tight.

The bad news (maybe), is that both outer CV joints have rotational play. I have the car up on jackstands currently. I can grab the axle shaft, and spin it about 2-3 degrees, while watching the outer joint not move at all. The inner joint spins with the axle, zero play. Both axles have the same amount of rotational play in the outer joints. It's about the same amount of play I originally noticed in the hub splines, just enough to feel movement and hear a 'click' sound as I wiggle it back and forth.

As far as I know, CV joints should have zero rotational play, and any play indicates wear/failure. I still have my OEM axles, and they have zero play.

Comment

Mine are still uninstalled so Ill check for any play and check back.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        Well, the good news is that after 1k miles or so of driving, the hub/axle play that I noticed does not appear to be causing any issues. The nut is still tight, and so the outer CV joint and hub have zero play with the nut still tight.

The bad news (maybe), is that both outer CV joints have rotational play. I have the car up on jackstands currently. I can grab the axle shaft, and spin it about 2-3 degrees, while watching the outer joint not move at all. The inner joint spins with the axle, zero play. Both axles have the same amount of rotational play in the outer joints. It's about the same amount of play I originally noticed in the hub splines, just enough to feel movement and hear a 'click' sound as I wiggle it back and forth.

As far as I know, CV joints should have zero rotational play, and any play indicates wear/failure. I still have my OEM axles, and they have zero play.
                        Did this result in a driveline clunk?

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                          Did this result in a driveline clunk?
                          Nope.

I got under the car again and played with the axles a bit more. It actually looks like the play is split equally between the inner and outer joints. When I first noticed it, I saw the axle moving with the inner joint, so I assumed the inner joints were tight. However, If I hold the axle, there is a slight bit of play between the inner joint and the axle shaft, as well as the outer joint and the axle shaft. It's very minor. I was under the impression that ANY play is not good though. Can anyone else with these axles installed, and with some miles on them, check for play?

Comment

I have a bit of abuse on them, will be at the shop tomorrow and can take a look.
                            But I haven't felt or heard anything since last drifting /driving

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                              I have a bit of abuse on them, will be at the shop tomorrow and can take a look.
                              But I haven't felt or heard anything since last drifting /driving

I couldn't feel/hear anything while driving either. But if you put the car in neutral, put the e-brake on, grab the driveshaft or diff input shaft and try to wiggle it back and forth, you should be able to notice what I noticed (if your axles have the same play that mine do, of course). You should be able to see the inner CV joints spinning with the diff/driveshaft, with zero play. But the outer CV joint won't move.

Comment

i haven't installed mine yet but i did notice very slight play in the hub splines with a z4 hub and factory e30 hub. Currently in the process of doing a 5lug rear swap with z4 hubs
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

Working...
                                X