Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGood
    replied
    Just broke one of my CA Tuned axles on my m60 car last night. Rolled into full throttle in 1st and it let go. I'm just running 300 treadwear street tires, nothing crazy. I've been to the drag strip many times, and they've handled some pretty solid launches. It's been 4 years, and about 25k miles since I've installed them.

Got it towed home late last night, will tear the axle out tonight to see what happened. The inner joint is still bolted firmly to the diff, but the axle shaft does not spin with it. So either the cage broke, the shaft broke, or the splines stripped. My subframe has new poly bushings, trailing arms have new OEM rubber, the suspensions is aligned with -1* of camber and 1/16" toe, trailing arms are not bent. The car is low, so there is a bit of negative angle on the axle shafts, but not what I would consider excessive.

Sucks to see they are no longer available. I guess I'll just replace with OEM GKN/Lobro.
    Last edited by JGood; 08-13-2018, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AusScare
    replied
    Originally posted by gotaloveRWD View Post
    Same here got under there today and have one boot flinging grease everywhere and the other is being warn
    I can see the boot is rubbing the ebrake cable and almost the a-arm
    I measured the boot and its roughly a inch bigger then the oem boot
    Igor said he would take care of it if I shipped them back which is awesome
    but I'm concerned it will do it again since the boot is bigger
    Urgh, I hope this isn't happening to my set as well, but from reading these posts, it probably is!

I'll need to check when I am back home later in the year.

A return/fix will be annoying/difficult since I am in Australia :(

Leave a comment:

• redsubdivisions
    replied
    I had this issue in the past and was told to send the axles back. I got the replacement axles in and I noticed the boots were smaller. they no longer rub the e-brake and haven't given me any issues. As long as they hold up, I have no real complaints.

Leave a comment:

• berlow94
    replied
    Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
    Are you sure they haven't simply switched designs?

They look like stock CV's to me.
    Maybe still using their chromoly shafts.
    I liked the bigger CV's. Typically it isn't the shaft that breaks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mr2peak
    replied
    Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
    I had this same issue,
    It seems that CA Tuned is replacing our HD axles w/ ripped boots with plain old regular axles... :(

Are you sure they haven't simply switched designs?

Leave a comment:

• gotaloveRWD
    replied
    I'm very glad i didn't send mine back then
    Going to see if I can have a local shop replace the boots for me for sure then

Leave a comment:

• berlow94
    replied
    I had this same issue,
    It seems that CA Tuned is replacing our HD axles w/ ripped boots with plain old regular axles... :(

Leave a comment:

• fporro
    replied
    uhm, i was going to drive up there and have my outer boots replaced but not if im not getting my HD's back.

Any rebuilding shop can swap boots only (I hope)

Leave a comment:

• BlackSpeed66
    replied
    Yeah that is essentially what happened with mine except the boot split and sprayed grease everywhere. I emailed them because all I asked for was a replacement boot and they sent me the wrong size. I was then told to send the whole axle back and they would send a replacement. Unfortunately, after waiting a month, the replacement that did come does not appear to be the same fit/finish/design as the original which is concerning. :(

Leave a comment:

• gotaloveRWD
    replied
    you can see it was rubbing the trailing arm as well, so when i replaced these with my stock CV's i ground some material away so it won't happen again when i get new ones but I'm not sure about the e-brakeā€¦..
    [ATTACH]113644[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• gotaloveRWD
    replied
    ill have to find my pictures
    it seems like the boot is just to large because where it rubs the line can't be moved
    i emailed them and i hope they can just send me new boots to save shipping

Leave a comment:

• BlackSpeed66
    replied
    This wasn't entirely due to the design of the axle but there was an issue w/ clearance on the e-brake cable where it enters the rear hub/arm. The outer boot sits very close to this and wound up rubbing a hole in the boot spewing grease everywhere. Not the fault of CATuned but just something to watch out for...

What has me concerned is that the replacement I was sent looks nothing like the 'HD' axles I originally paid for leaving me wondering whether this axle is truly 'HD'.... these things cost a pretty penny to begin with, so time will tell...

The axle on the other side has had no issues whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• gotaloveRWD
    replied
    now that these have been around a while anyone else having this issue?

Leave a comment:

• redsubdivisions
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to drive my car much yet (still needs exhaust after engine swap) - I noticed that the inner boots don't have clamps at the ends like the outers do.

Hoping this won't be an issue??
    I noticed the same thing, but my issue was only on one side. It hasn't leaked on the other side, so I'm guessing they seem to be alright without the clamps.

Leave a comment:

• BlackSpeed66
    replied
    I haven't had a chance to drive my car much yet (still needs exhaust after engine swap) - I noticed that the inner boots don't have clamps at the ends like the outers do.

Hoping this won't be an issue??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X