No announcement yet.

N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s what I figure. And I want as streamlined a swap as I can manage. It looks like it’s ANT steering and electronics that produces the harness. It uses cas and a canbus emulator

Comment

yeah, you don't need any of that. Honestly, Hoveringuy did a pretty good job documenting what he did. There are various parts of the wiring that can be modularized to basically plug into the E30. I don't think it's really going to be a big deal - the E30 wiring is quite primitive compared to an E90, and you don't even need a lot of the modules that the E90 has. Pretty much you need the DME, power block/relays, the EKP, and you probably also want a fan controller (any PWM fan controller will do). The rest of the CAN bus is irrelevant because it can all be turned off.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For sure. In my case it’s an e36 but I agree it shouldn’t be too bad once I get my head in it. It will help having all the pieces to go through in person too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdmef View Post
          For sure. In my case it’s an e36 but I agree it shouldn’t be too bad once I get my head in it. It will help having all the pieces to go through in person too.
          On the modern cars everything is inter-related. The ECU knows when you lock a door or adjust the volume and it makes adjustments. On the e30/e36 the interface between the engine and body-side electrics is almost completely what's in the C101 or X20 plugs. RPM, IGN, starter, oil press, etc. Pretty simple.

Comment

Who needs aero and downforce when you've got DRAG!

Second session, cold, first event with winter changes including Wilwood and Torsen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220417-085312.png
Views:	631
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	10053044

Comment

Awesome video once again Steve!

Looking forward to when I'll be able to take my car for a trip around the block. Still waiting....

Comment

Beautiful track!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

That looks like it was a blast!

I have an opportunity to get an 06 323, 2.5L for next to nothing. I’m thinking of grabbing this and figuring the swap kinks out, I know it’s only good for about 200hp maybe a bit more with n54 mani, and driveshaft will be different once I go for a 330 and matching tranny… thoughts? Would I be wasting my time?
                  Last edited by Cdmef; 04-21-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I always love the 3a/3b configuration on the downhill!
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Cdmef View Post
                      That looks like it was a blast!

I have an opportunity to get an 06 323, 2.5L for next to nothing. I’m thinking of grabbing this and figuring the swap kinks out, I know it’s only good for about 200hp maybe a bit more with n54 mani, and driveshaft will be different once I go for a 330 and matching tranny… thoughts? Would I be wasting my time?
                      200hp? the stock N52B30OL makes ~260bhp/220whp from the factory with stock cats, a stock tune and the 3 stage manifold. Maybe the nerf-tuned 328i with an AT struggles to hit 200whp, but nobody is going to swap an N52 in an E30 and leave the tune stock (that's impossible anyway).
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That’s why I would wonder if the 2.5L n52b25 would be worth the work, the dynos running full bolt ons seem to only be about 200 whp. I have been looking for the full 330 setup but they have become pretty pricey and rarely up for sale here in Canada.

Comment

I don't think the 2.5l is worth it, no. Not only does it weigh about the same - it makes less power - and the 2.5 liter engines have issues with rings and burning oil. I'd imagine the swap costs/work will be pretty much the same as well. you want the 3 liter if you're doing an E30, otherwise do one of the older swaps (M52/M54). Or just build an M20.

Maybe you could get a 2.5l block and punch it out to 3.0 liter, but it's probably cheaper to just get the 3.0- to begin with. They're super common in North America - everything got them regardless if it was badged a 325i or a 330i. they also came in the Z4, X3, X5, 5 series, and 7 series. The only 2.5 liters in North America are the 323i cars, but those were only sold in Canada. So anything in Canada that isn't a 323i (or 523i? I have never seen one of those) is going to have the N52B30.

My 2012 X3 28i has the same basic engine (N52B30) as my 2006 330i and my old 2006 325xi wagon. Not sure why they marketed the 325i with a 3 liter engine, but at least it made for an cheap/easy upgrade. 2 out of the 3 N52B30 powered cars I have owned came from Canada, so I don't think they are that rare.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah I’ve decided not to do the 2.5, I just wanted to make sure someone with experience agreed it wasn’t worth it. Yes there are a lot of 3.0 cars out there, I have been holding out for an actual 330 setup for the better transmission for one thing. One reason is that down the line if I wanted to upgrade the transmission I would also need to figure out the driveshaft and the 330 trans into e36 has already been sorted. And of course I would prefer to do it right the first time haha! If I don’t find a 330 I’ll do a 328, they are abundant and I have a line on one from a friend.

when I’m ready to get the ecu flashed should I pm you nando, or get in touch on bimmerlabs? You mentioned hooking up with cobra Marty, as I am in near Toronto too

Comment

Just send me a PM when you're ready here. I don't really have time to do much with Bimmerlabs these days, unfortunately.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot! I’m hoping to get into it later in the summer, I have a demanding workload to get through and then I can start digging in.

Comment

Working...
                                X