• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdmef View Post
    That looks like it was a blast!

I have an opportunity to get an 06 323, 2.5L for next to nothing. I’m thinking of grabbing this and figuring the swap kinks out, I know it’s only good for about 200hp maybe a bit more with n54 mani, and driveshaft will be different once I go for a 330 and matching tranny… thoughts? Would I be wasting my time?
    200hp? the stock N52B30OL makes ~260bhp/220whp from the factory with stock cats, a stock tune and the 3 stage manifold. Maybe the nerf-tuned 328i with an AT struggles to hit 200whp, but nobody is going to swap an N52 in an E30 and leave the tune stock (that's impossible anyway).

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    I always love the 3a/3b configuration on the downhill!

Leave a comment:

• Cdmef
    replied
    That looks like it was a blast!

I have an opportunity to get an 06 323, 2.5L for next to nothing. I’m thinking of grabbing this and figuring the swap kinks out, I know it’s only good for about 200hp maybe a bit more with n54 mani, and driveshaft will be different once I go for a 330 and matching tranny… thoughts? Would I be wasting my time?
    Last edited by Cdmef; 04-21-2022, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Beautiful track!

Leave a comment:

• LukeJ
    replied
    Awesome video once again Steve!

Looking forward to when I'll be able to take my car for a trip around the block. Still waiting....

Leave a comment:

• hoveringuy
    replied
    Who needs aero and downforce when you've got DRAG!

Second session, cold, first event with winter changes including Wilwood and Torsen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220417-085312.png
Views:	642
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	10053044

Leave a comment:

• hoveringuy
    replied
    For sure. In my case it’s an e36 but I agree it shouldn’t be too bad once I get my head in it. It will help having all the pieces to go through in person too.
    On the modern cars everything is inter-related. The ECU knows when you lock a door or adjust the volume and it makes adjustments. On the e30/e36 the interface between the engine and body-side electrics is almost completely what's in the C101 or X20 plugs. RPM, IGN, starter, oil press, etc. Pretty simple.

Leave a comment:

• Cdmef
    replied
    For sure. In my case it’s an e36 but I agree it shouldn’t be too bad once I get my head in it. It will help having all the pieces to go through in person too.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yeah, you don't need any of that. Honestly, Hoveringuy did a pretty good job documenting what he did. There are various parts of the wiring that can be modularized to basically plug into the E30. I don't think it's really going to be a big deal - the E30 wiring is quite primitive compared to an E90, and you don't even need a lot of the modules that the E90 has. Pretty much you need the DME, power block/relays, the EKP, and you probably also want a fan controller (any PWM fan controller will do). The rest of the CAN bus is irrelevant because it can all be turned off.

Leave a comment:

• Cdmef
    replied
    That’s what I figure. And I want as streamlined a swap as I can manage. It looks like it’s ANT steering and electronics that produces the harness. It uses cas and a canbus emulator

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I don't know about anything about the swap harnesses on ebay - do you know who makes it?

I'd be curious because without an EWS delete you need the full CAN bus and CAS module to start the car. If that's what it is, then I'd say no that's not worth it. You'll end up with *more* wires, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Cdmef
    replied
    Hey nando, thanks for the reply. I am a couple hours from Toronto so I could connect with markD. I like the idea of eliminating cas and making the swap as simple as possible, which brings me to the wiring aspect. I am not strong in that department but do have a friend who has a batter aptitude. Do you think it’s worth looking at the swap harness available on eBay or will it be quite straight forward? I have a line on a complete running/driving ‘08 328… I think 06/07 is a bit better in terms of how the relays integrate into wiring?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Wow I’ve read through this whole thread, so much good info in here! I’m set on an n52 swap into my e36 and this has been the most in depth tread I’ve found on the electrical end of things seeing as e30 and e36 are very similar in that respect. My question is to nando, would you be able to do a tune if I sent you an ecu? I am looking to do basically the same setup as hoveringguy with n54 intake. Or conversely point me in the direction of someone who would be able to set up a reliable tune. I don’t need every possible hp so I’m hoping to avoid dropping $1500 on a dyno haha! I’m in Canada btw so if you’re aware of someone up here who could accomplish this lmk. Again, so much amazing work has gone into this to enable more people to do this swap!
    Sorry I missed this post. yes, I can do the swap flash. What part of Canada are you in? I might be able to partner up with MarkD - he's in Toronto. Otherwise, you have to ship the DME to me in the USA. I used to just hop over the border and pick up/ship from my in-laws, but thanks to covid that isn't possible right now. You can of course ship it directly to me, which will cost extra. But I haven't done any international shipments in a while so I don't know what new problems there are.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yeah, the electric power steering on our X3 is pretty terrible. The on-center feel, especially at highway speeds, is exhausting. And there is almost no feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwtech07
    replied
    I am not a big fan of electric power steering. I have yet to find one that feels organic. In my experience there is always a "tension" that you have to overcome before the motor kicks in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X