No announcement yet.

N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funny thing is I think the franken N52-S54 headers probably cost less and perform better. But you do have to weld them yourself.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That was my initial plan but I decided to take a risk and see if an off the shelf n52 header would fit. šŸ‘

Comment

Few (poor) pics of the header fitment šŸ˜‚

Comment

What subframe are you running?

Comment

Something Iā€™ve been working on over the past couple of years. Iā€™ll share more about all of it soon šŸ¤­

That there is one of many 3D printed prototypes. Have the first billet version being manufactured now.
            Last edited by Nowayman; 09-18-2021, 05:38 PM. Reason: A little more info

Comment

Very nice, does it use a rear sump pan? Billet could get pricy for a subframe but it looks really nice from the photos you showed

Comment

Itā€™s definitely not cheap, but I do have a relationship with my manufacturer so my costs are quite a bit less than they would be otherwise. It does use the rear sump pan, and the z4 arms. The rack does move forward, but with a trick from my Nissan days, Iā€™m able to deal with some of the negative of moving the rack, though it doesnā€™t move forward all the much compared to some of the modded subframes Iā€™ve seen

Comment

That's pretty cool. Wow, 3D printed subframe? Even as a prototype, that's an accomplishment to print something that large. I'm going to guess here you're using a machine at work or something, lol. Even a really nice home printer won't go that big! I've worked a bit on an adapter for the S54 throttles, but I'll have to make it in several pieces, and I also have to print it at a 45 degree angle on my bed to make the biggest assembly possible.

Header fitment looks fine but the deal breaker for me are those THR clone brackets. I wouldn't want to run those on a street car. but it probably wouldn't take much modification to make them work with the stock brackets, so definitely helpful to see how they fit!
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Itā€™s just a creality cr10s. I print them in four pieces and assemble. The attic to my garage is just bursting with printed subframe prototypes haha. Thereā€™s at least 15 of them up there. As far as the CABs I have them on my other e30 and my z3 and they really arenā€™t too bad. Could easily run the regular lollipops and cut the header back further before doing the v-bands and make room, I expected to have to do this either way, but they ended up fitting with these.

Also had a couple 4140 g260/zf flywheels made, they use the n52 starter, e30 clutch.

I had also printed and mounted about 8 of these before I was happy šŸ˜‚. There are no teeth on the one up there, my manufacturer can do just about anything, they mostly do work for the oil and gas industry, but they donā€™t cut teeth. Iā€™m picking them up from the gear place later this week.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the printed pieces. Its always cool to see!

If you can make a subframe out of billet (or sheet/tube) for a reasonable cost that fits an unmodified sump you will be a hero.
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Well look what it took to bring me back here :)

This is incredible work. I don't want to ask you to reveal too much, but it looks like your car is at the same height as mine. Can you show us how everything fits together from below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	belly.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	10031994

Comment

Sure thing! Iā€™m out of town until Tuesday but Iā€™ll definitely get some photos from underneath šŸ‘

Comment

Pictures would be great, is this a one off for your self or something you plan on offering for sale? Have you done any test fits with the s54 oil pan, I think all the other rear sump cross members require modification to the s54 pan to fit.

Comment

The subframe kits will be available for purchase when the ThirtyFab site goes live in January. Youā€™re welcome to check out the IG account if youā€™re interestedā€¦ @thirty_fab
                              I will be launching a discounted pre-order sometime before opening everything up. Iā€™ll be releasing a lot more info in the coming weeks. Not trying to junk up a thread with any of that stuff but anyone is welcome to DM me if they have questions.šŸ‘

Comment

Nowayman Out of curiosity, why are you keeping the G260? Is it to keep the stock driveline?
                                I had no issues with my 260 behind the M54, except that the stock clutch wouldn't hold the torque
                                I have the GS-17 6 speed now with the N52 and don't know if I could go back...

Comment

Working...
                                X