No announcement yet.

N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have it running, I'll switch my E90 injector harness for an X3 one. E90 is incredibly short and won't reach the glovebox

X3 could reach the passenger seat. Or the backseat

E90 top, X3 bottom.

The X3 uses a completely different style of alternator plug, the Valvetronic relay isn't incorporated and there are some other slight differences, but nothing major.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Img_2021_01_09_15_49_10.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	9968584
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-10-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Throttle pedal, done.

I'm using the Z4 manual pedal which is considerably more svelte than an E90 pedal or anything else. The usual route is to use an E46 pedal and make a bracket and some epoxy, but I think this worked great.

The pedal (P/N 35426853176) is meant to be mounted with an allen head bolt through the baseplate, so I welded an M6 nut in front of the e30 bracket for it.

The rear has a cavity where a catch plate grabs the top of the pedal and secures it from lateral movement as well as rocking forward. Conveniently, the e30 bolt hole sits exactly in that pocket so it was a quick matter to fabricate a plate. It slides down onto the plate and is then bolted at the bottom.

Rock solid!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture4.JPG Views:	9 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	9968906
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.JPG Views:	9 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	9968905
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	9 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	9968907
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	9 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	9968908

Comparison of the two pedal styles. The Z4 style (left) is over 1/2 lbs lighter and the plunger is more robust. BOTH of them have the recess in the back for the catch tab. They work the same, but the plug is different between them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	9969066
      Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-12-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Hey look what showed up at my house the other day tootin' it's own horn:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3902.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	9971678

Name:	IMG-3903.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	9971679

Comment

Nice! Also, does it have a lift kit? :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's from all the lightness we added

Comment

Looks good, is it just the angle of the photo or is the engine very close to the radiator?

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
                Looks good, is it just the angle of the photo or is the engine very close to the radiator?
                I think the engine is identical in distance to the radiator as my M54 was, the issue with the N52 is that the coolant bypass hose runs in front of the engine and it gets within 8mm of the radiator. To the point where I'm not sure if I could run anything thicker than the OEM 33mm core in an all-aluminum radiator, for instance.

Meanwhile, at the back of the engine there's miles of clearance...

The positioning was predicated on the shifter being centered, naturally, and my shifter is maybe 5mm forward of the middle so there's future opportunity for the motor to slide back just a hair, probably 1cm.

It looks much better from the bottom, where I have 2" clearance between the damper and the radiator core.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	18 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	9971933
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	22 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	9971932
                Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-31-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Name:	DE5EA5C4-AF58-4ECD-A823-FCF631670BAE.jpeg
Views:	602
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	9972013

Engine position ended up being determined by 1.5 things that didn’t matter to Steve, but did matter to me.

I might have a chance to check where the notes are longitudinally relative to the M20 when I pull mine.

The interferences I remember running into were the heater core stubs to the intake (I’m using the three stage, Steve is using the N54 which is MUCH smaller and clears these laterally) and the transmission tunnel. I’m sure there’s a way to easily redirect these heater stubs, but the trans tunnel problem led me to not try.

I have the 330i transmission which is longer and I believe larger. I think this explains why Steve has room to go back when I didn’t think I did. If I’d shifted the engine back it would have had to go down, and the subframe would have conflicted with the block.

Comment

Engine position is page 15:

There’s a good shot there of how much room I had from the head to the firewall. If we have a real lessons learned I’ll go back and link forward to here.

Comment

As long as it cools properly with just a pusher there isn't much reason to redesign everything. Is there room to add the oil cooler to the oil filter housing if needed, either the larger water cooled cooler or the smaller air cooled thermostat adapter from a n54/55?

Comment

Most N52s didn't have oil coolers from the factory. I'm sure you can fit one (there's a filter housing with one built in that should be a slam dunk), but IMO, it's not worth the added complexity, the N52 really doesn't need it.

I'm basically looking at deleting both the oil cooler and power steering with my build. Less mess, less maintenance, less weight. :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does the Msv70 have a failsafe mode once oil temp gets to high? All the high output n52s use an oil cooler, granted an e30 is lighter than even a 1 series.

Comment

Yes, it does. Both coolant and oil temperature based.

The 330i doesn't use an oil cooler, i don't think the Z4 did either. It was mainly the bigger cars - X5 and 5 series. The X5 was rated for towing 6,000lbs.
                            ​​​​
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Yes, it does. Both coolant and oil temperature based.

The 330i doesn't use an oil cooler, i don't think the Z4 did either. It was mainly the bigger cars - X5 and 5 series. The X5 was rated for towing 6,000lbs.
                              ​​​​
                              I can confirm the coolant failsafe. I popped a radiator hose that wasn't tightened enough. There was a puff of steam and the engine went to reduced power.

Tightened, refilled and was on my way.

Comment

I haven't had the car driving for a week because after proving that it all works, I've taken some things apart to make improvements and move toward my "forever" configuration. Radiator and the front of the engine is the focus, starting with installing a modified oil filter housing with an M14 bung for the e30 cluster sensor.

The cross-under tube which was previously EMT is now professionally mandrel-bent 7/8" stainless.

You will also notice the clearance to the radiator, another goal is to fabricate a hardline for the coolant bypass hose that's normally close to the radiator and, finally, look at using an N54 serpentine tensioner.

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	9972682

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	9972683

Name:	Capture3.JPG