Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hubcapboy
    replied
    Nando’s just trying to help you understand why you were wrong in this post. Not much to misinterpret, but I agree that we’re getting off topic and appreciate the effort to move on.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Just stop dude. It's off topic, and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

BTW, I actually taught a class about this stuff for several years, if you want to talk about dick swinging contests.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Not sure how you're misinterpreting what I said, but I never said bolts were only loaded in shear.

The RTA pivot bolts clamp the faying surfaces at the ends of the steel tubes inside the bushings against the mounting ears on the subframe. Those bolts are loaded in tension and suspension loads handled by the friction between the tubes in the bushings and the mounting ears.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-09-2020, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Well, if you want to go there - head bolts, are not in shear at all, they are completely in tension. The trailing arm bolts on an E30 are in shear, but they are not slip critical, same with the lower bolts on the rear shocks (this would be a pinned connection). The control arm bracket bolts are in tension only, because they have a shear key built into the frame so the bolts don't have to take it. I could go on and on, but I won't bother.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Not like shit I built is in orbit or anything...

ETA: aaaaand I have to specify automotive applications on a car forum? ok, I'll get right on that.

ETA2: yes, there are other types of bolted joints in the world. They might as well not exist in automotive engineering.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-09-2020, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Dude, I'm not going to argue with you, you always seem to "know everything". But I just finished a million dollar walkway replacement at a dock that had all three types of bolted connections in one bracket (it was a pain in the ass, but when you're stuck with existing conditions, you gotta do what you gotta do). Bolt engineering isn't any different because it's on a car or on a building - the same principles of load paths, tension, shear, pinned/flixed/sliding, etc. apply. Different bolted connections are designed in different ways, they're not all "slip critical" on a car either.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post

Other connections might only be in tension, but no shear at all, and some rely on the shear between the two planes (plates) acting on the bolt cross section.
    Point to one on a car.

EDIT: yeah, holding a brake tube against vibration might not be a serious stressor for a bolt in shear, but those are typically sheet metal fasteners rather than machine threads.

Leave a comment:

• LukeJ
    replied
    Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
    RE: M7 x 60mm studs
    would something like these M7 to M8 studs work? May need to increase the hole size in the manifold

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ho-90035-mj0-920
    Those may work, but... The manifold is plastic with metallic inserts to provide strength and something solid to torque the bolts against. Six of the 7 holes are about 8mm in diameter, but the center hole is 7.1mm. I believe BMW made the 6 holes oversize to allow for ease of assembly and possibly for expansion of the head? The center hole aligns everything from end to end.

Not sure how much could be drilled out in order to make things fit and still retain the strength needed.

7mm bolts/studs are an odd size in my experience. Pun intended.

I guess HomeDepot has the bolts. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9038/205037778
    Last edited by LukeJ; 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

This is how EVERY bolted joint works.
    Uh, no it isn't. Only a slip-critical joint works by the friction of the materials clamped together (and the bolts usually have to be fully tensioned, instead of the usual snug tight). Other connections might only be in tension, but no shear at all, and some rely on the shear between the two planes (plates) acting on the bolt cross section. It all depends on many things, such as materials, cost, available space, constructibility (or manufacturing), and of course engineering/codes. I've worked in structural engineering a loooong time - I've seen every bolted connection you can imagine. :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
    (the capacity coming from the pretensioning of the bolts pressing the surfaces together and never engaging the bolt in shear)
    This is how EVERY bolted joint works.

Leave a comment:

• NC325iC
    replied
    RE: M7 x 60mm studs
    would something like these M7 to M8 studs work? May need to increase the hole size in the manifold

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ho-90035-mj0-920

Leave a comment:

• LukeJ
    replied
    Can anyone point me towards some concise information about adapting wiring harness' and how to wire the C101 for an engine swap?

Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• LukeJ
    replied
    I found an error with the pdf I posted yesterday. I previously made the part 91mm OAL. But it needed to be 91mm from the o-ring end to the bottom of the counterbore on the opposite side.

Things like this are why there are usually more than one person in an engineering team. Also, why I'm reluctant to share this stuff until I've tried it out for myself.

Here's the corrected pdf. I edited the above post and changed the pdf there too. I just didn't want any confusion.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Trying to find my CAD file. Looking at my S54 throttle pics again makes me want to try a little harder. :p

Leave a comment:

• LukeJ
    replied
    I was originally going to design it to be thinner. But 55mm length bolts are not a 'normal' thing. The other factor was the off the shelf tooling and the 10 degrees is perfect for the difference in profile over the 3/8" distance.

The N52 head port is a little less narrow on the top and bottom compared to the N54 manifold. About 1mm per side. There would be a step, and the air would 'tumble' I believe. Perhaps insignificantly. I just thought 'smoother' would be better.

I think the velocity may decrease slightly because the N52 opening has a bit more surface area. Perhaps by smoothing the transition, the 'negative' effects are reduced or nullified?

PM me about the CAD stuff. I'd be willing to help out.
    Last edited by LukeJ; 07-07-2020, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X