Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 Clubsport ZHP "Yellow Tag" 712 Steering Rack in S52 Swapped E30 - Which hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 Clubsport ZHP "Yellow Tag" 712 Steering Rack in S52 Swapped E30 - Which hoses?

Excuse the excessive title, gotta get those keywords in for future searchers. I was completely unable to find anything on this.

I have an S52 (1997 E36 M3) swapped E30 (1985 325e). I bought a 712 Yellow Tag rack out of an 2002 330Ci (E46) Clubsport car - the "ZHP" rack.

We're basically combining 3 cars here, so I want to be thorough and help people in the future.

Current Research:

PS System for the E36 M3

Click image for larger version

Name:	E36 M3.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	10081411

PS System for the E46 330Ci
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 Clubsport.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	10081410

1. The Reservoir to the Pump Hose

E30 Reservoir end - slip on the reservoir and clamp
    E36 M3 PS Pump end (#2 in E36 Schematic) - banjo bolt (M16x28) (P/N - 32416852470)

For this hose, E36 pump hose bolts up. (P/N - 32411138419)

2. The Pump to the Rack Hose

E36 M3 PS Pump end (#6 in E36 Schematic) - banjo bolt (M14x1.5x26) (P/N - 32416852469)
    E46 712 Rack end (#6 in E46 Schematic) - banjo bolt with check valve (M14x1.5x27.4) (P/N - 32416781261)

????WHAT THE FUCK HOSE????
    From RealOEM, the E36 PS Hose is M14 on both ends.
    From RealOEM, the E46 PS Hose is M14 on the rack and a plug type connector on the pump.

My theory: the E36 PS Hose will bolt up.

3. The 712 Rack to the Reservoir Hose

E46 712 Rack end (#9 in E46 Schematic) - banjo bolt (M16x28) (P/N - 32416852470)
    E30 Reservoir end - slip onto the reservoir and clamp​

For this hose, E36 rack to reservoir hose bolts up. (P/N - 32412228284)​
    Concern: the cooling coil may/may not bolt up to the E46 rack.

My theory: it may be right to use the 3-piece hoses from the E46 (#7, #10, #11 from E46 Schematic).

Well, there you have it.
    Thoughts on the Rack to Pump hose, and whether the cooling coil will bolt onto the E46 rack properly?
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

ALSO: Regarding the E46 check valve in the pump to rack banjo bolt - it seems fine to run. Though it seems that there is also a check valve in the E36 line, itself? So since the E30 pump to rack line can also work here, it would be good to add the E46 check valve, otherwise omit it if you're using the E36 high pressure hose as it's got a valve incorporated?

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ap-check-valve

Do you guys omit one or the other?

Click image for larger version  Name:	check.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	10081416
    Image from: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=18746.15
    Last edited by MaxBell; 01-17-2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I don't have answers, but can potentially cloud this up a bit more:

There's a sort of restrictor in the e30 high pressure hose under the crimp in the middle of the hose. I don't think there's a check valve.

The two low pressure hoses can also have the crimps cut off to reuse the banjo fittings with new hose (or to piece together the right length + fittings). There used to be a DIY on E30tech for this

For the internal vented racks, I've heard of people cutting slots in their inner tie rods to let the air enter/escape the tie rod boots, Not sure if E46 inners are the same length as e36 or what.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I don't have answers, but can potentially cloud this up a bit more:

There's a sort of restrictor in the e30 high pressure hose under the crimp in the middle of the hose. I don't think there's a check valve.

The two low pressure hoses can also have the crimps cut off to reuse the banjo fittings with new hose (or to piece together the right length + fittings). There used to be a DIY on E30tech for this

For the internal vented racks, I've heard of people cutting slots in their inner tie rods to let the air enter/escape the tie rod boots, Not sure if E46 inners are the same length as e36 or what.

Correct, there is an orifice placed in the high pressure line that basically acts as a flow restriction device, it is not a check valve. I made custom hoses for my E36 rack set-up and moved the orifice over to the new hose, I also was able to cut all of the crimps on the old lines and reuse the fittings in the new hose.

A good hydraulic shop should be able to do all of this work easily. They also should have the ability to braze together any of the hard lines that need cut/re-positioned prior to crimping.

Comment

Ok, so in the end, all my theories were correct. And the E46 cooling line was made to fit.

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I used the E46 inners and they were good.

Comment

Working...
          X