Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in doing a 24v swap? Read this!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like you need to do more research my friend. s52 is a 3.2 liter? s50 is 3.0? s50 is odb1? s52 is odb2
    my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

what happened to this link :(

Comment

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
          If it's from a 92 325 it's a Non VANOS m50. S50 was only in 95 M3 in the US. I wouldn't expend the time, money and energy needed for an M50 Non vanos swap personally.

A non-vanos is going to make more power then a vanos engine. Vanos is only engaged from ~1200 RPM's until ~5200 RPM's. In that range, the vanos engine *might* make more power, but after 5200, the non-vanos will be make more power due to it's much more aggressive cam profiles.

Non vanos:

Vanos:

Comment

When I put the E30 CSB on backwards the driveshaft seems to shift too much to the driver's side before the CSB and then back toward the diff after the CSB.

I positioned the CSB with the rubber dust lip toward the rear of the car. When it's in this position the CSB carrier bracket has a short arm on the driver's side and a long arm on the passenger side.

Do I need to reverse this and put the CSB in the correct orientation or why am I having this issue when everyone says to put it backwards?
            Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Is it possible anyone in the Charlotte area could help/perform an m50 swap for me without take my arm and leg with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Good_Livn View Post
                Is it possible anyone in the Charlotte area could help/perform an m50 swap for me without take my arm and leg with them?
                1 post....? you gotta offer at least the arm!
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I'm not understanding what you mean by that.

Comment

I'm not understanding what you mean by that.
                    this is a pretty straight forward swap and documented many times. I hardly ever post just look through stuff on this site. but here's a link http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-e30-m50-swap.aspx to do it yourself. (i have the websote book marked when i figure out how to put m42 pistons in the s50 and find a gasket kit) if you decide to pay someone expect at least an arm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the information. I do not have the time to completely do it by myself. One place has quoted me at $5,000 and another at $3,000, both of which I think is too expensive. Any suggestions?!?

Comment

Unless you do it yourself thats gonna be what your going to pay. I dont care how straight foward it is, a motor swap is alot of work. And mechanics dont work for free. If you want to pay less than that you need to get a second car to drive and work on swapping the motor on your free time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the information. I do not have the time to completely do it by myself. One place has quoted me at $5,000 and another at $3,000, both of which I think is too expensive. Any suggestions?!?
                          what makes you say 3 k or 5 k is too much cash?..

what would u think is a fair quote?..

find a tech that can do it "on the side"....or in his spare time....youll save a bit....

I must say 3-5k is in the ball park.....some may be cheaper for sure.....some could be more.

and what do those quotes incl?....

getting it done on the cheap......and getting it done 100% / reliable is not the same.

I paid for my s50 swap....done by a shop that had done dozens of them....and 3 yrs later Im still making it perfect.
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
                            if I lived closer I'd help in my spare time. besr suggestion is to get all the parts you need (engine, mounts, oil pan, etc) then ask again. the price isn't to bad... I had a quote from a friend for a 2jz in my e36 m3 which was running 3000 with me buying everything. then I decided to do it myself and still In the process...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Comment

I can compare only to what I have experienced. The absolute max I would pay is $2500 and thats pushing it; but needless to say I need this completed this summer before I head back to school. I currently have all the parts I need to complete the swap but being how straight forward this job is I would have never thought to have gotten quote so high.

Comment

I can compare only to what I have experienced. The absolute max I would pay is $2500 and thats pushing it; but needless to say I need this completed this summer before I head back to school. I currently have all the parts I need to complete the swap but being how straight forward this job is I would have never thought to have gotten quote so high.
                                Like Joel said, it completely depends. You haven't provided nearly enough info for anyone to even begin to estimate what a shop would charge. What parts are you using, who's sourcing the parts, does everything need cleaned up/repainted, does the engine need resealed and if so who's doing it and what parts are being used, what exhaust are you planning, etc... You could literally spend anywhere from $300 to $10k+.

There's people who toss in a junkyard engine in a weekend by themselves without buying a single new part, there's others who take it to a shop and have them replace every last seal, nut, bolt, clip, and spend lots of time on proper fabrication, wiring, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X