Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in doing a 24v swap? Read this!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iamsam
    replied
    OP, the image in the first post is broken.

Leave a comment:

• tonytony
    replied
    i have done it to my own swap, I figured it out when i bought a e34 pump and noticed that the parts were close, if not, identical for both pumps. So i saved my self the unnecessary hassle and just switched over the oil pick up and sold the pump from the e34. I've have my swap for 4 years now and my motor hasn't siezed up yet so it's safe to say it works

here are the part numbers:
    e36 11411740154
    e34 11411740155
    Last edited by tonytony; 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRKOUPE
    replied
    oops

Leave a comment:

• JRKOUPE
    replied
    pump

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
    just do add: You dont need to replace the 36 oil pump with the e34 oil pump if you're doing an m50 swap, the pumps are the same part, you just need the oil pickup tube. It makes life a whole lot easier and saves you money
    are you EXCLUDING S50s? I had NEVER heard this....can we get confirmation on this?....
    Last edited by JRKOUPE; 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
    this only pertains to 89+ production years where the abs power runs through the c101 rather than the body harness.
    Good point. This is why it's so important to trace out wires based on model year. I burnt up an 89 m20 harness when swapping it into an 87 chassis because of this exact wire. +12v and ground don't mix very well...

Leave a comment:

• Dominic49
    replied
    Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
    To the DIYers:
    If you are going to mod your own engine harness, it would be wise to map your x20 pins with the wire colours for each, and trace each wire to it's termination.
    Put this info on a table, because depending on the harness you use, the wire colours may be different to the ETM.

Learn how to read the ETM. Not all wires at the C101 plug on the E30 are going to be the same colour for their entire length.

It is best that you know the function of each wire instead of blindly using other peoples posted x20/c101 tables.
    Learn how the stuff works so that you can diagnose and fix potential problems/errors.

I would also recommend that you pull back the boot of each harness plug and record the wire colours and number of used terminals. It helps narrow the search once most but not all of the harness has been connected to the engine sensors, ancillaries, etc.

Regarding anti lock brakes:
    The E34/36 harnesses have no power provision for the ABS. This requires you to splice in switched 12v to power the ABS pump. Tap into the thick wire coming off T87 of the E34/6 Main relay.

m
    this only pertains to 89+ production years where the abs power runs through the c101 rather than the body harness.

Leave a comment:

• tonytony
    replied
    just do add: You dont need to replace the 36 oil pump with the e34 oil pump if you're doing an m50 swap, the pumps are the same part, you just need the oil pickup tube. It makes life a whole lot easier and saves you money

Leave a comment:

• 7pilot
    replied
    To the DIYers:
    If you are going to mod your own engine harness, it would be wise to map your x20 pins with the wire colours for each, and trace each wire to it's termination.
    Put this info on a table, because depending on the harness you use, the wire colours may be different to the ETM.

Learn how to read the ETM. Not all wires at the C101 plug on the E30 are going to be the same colour for their entire length.

It is best that you know the function of each wire instead of blindly using other peoples posted x20/c101 tables.
    Learn how the stuff works so that you can diagnose and fix potential problems/errors.

I would also recommend that you pull back the boot of each harness plug and record the wire colours and number of used terminals. It helps narrow the search once most but not all of the harness has been connected to the engine sensors, ancillaries, etc.

Regarding anti lock brakes:
    The E34/36 harnesses have no power provision for the ABS. This requires you to splice in switched 12v to power the ABS pump. Tap into the thick wire coming off T87 of the E34/6 Main relay.

m

Leave a comment:

• Spaz
    replied
    I'm still trying to find out who admin's the wiki page so i can help clean it up.

If you know who does let me know so we can get it all sorted out.

-Cam

Leave a comment:

• JGood
    replied
    reserved post

Leave a comment:

• JGood
    replied
    Alright, I'll start coming up with some stuff.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    I think all the basics/combo's/etc procedures could be covered, tips/tricks/hints and such. The DOHC Wiki page is getting worse and worse with the spam bots. Stuff like this

OIL PRESSURE SENSOR -- BRN/GRN OR BRN/GRY
    FRONT COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR -- (ECU) BRN/RED BRN
    REAR COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR -- (GAUGE SENSOR) BRN/YEL BRN/VIO
    CRANK POSITION SENSOR -- YEL
    CAM POSITION SENSOR -- YEL RED/WHT BRN/ORG
    VANOS SOLENOID -- RED/WHT GRN/BLU
    KNOCK SENSOR, -- 1-3 BLK NCA DME PIN 70
    KNOCK SENSOR, -- 4-6 BLK NCA DME PIN 69
    THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR -- (TPS) BRN BRN/BLK RED/YEL
    INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE -- (IAT) SENSOR BRN GRY
    IDLE CONTROL VALVE -- (ICV) WHT/YEL RED/WHT WHT/GRN
    EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS VALVE -- BRN RED/WHT
    Last edited by z31maniac; 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    Maybe we could turn this thread in a concise no-BS version of the stickied thread in this section by adding all the relevant info with pictures and such?

I think it's too much info for a message board thread. The DOHC wiki is perfect for fiorst timers to read through, although it could use expanded upon.

There are just way too many variables and what-if's for an all-inclusive message board style write-up. Yeah, you can get the basics out there, but you'll have straggling questions leading a 77 page clusterfuck thread of discussions.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Maybe we could turn this thread in a concise no-BS version of the stickied thread in this section by adding all the relevant info with pictures and such?

Leave a comment:

• apexhead
    replied
    I agree.

Read the damn wiring manuals people! You might even learn something along the way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X