No announcement yet.

Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can use either 2-3 pole fan switch with an aftermarket fan, you just have to keep in mind that aftermarket fan setups dont have a resistor in place so the 'low' speed isnt going to be really low speed, in addition you shouldnt run an aftermarket fan on full speed on the low circuit because the wiring isnt designed to handle that much load..

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Interesting, my wiring for high or low is the same gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      87 325i Coupe - Sold
      95 M3 Track rat - Sold
      87 325i Vert - Sold
      87 325is S52 swap - Sold
      99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
      03 525i Touring - Current
      03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
      88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

Ok guys, so I bought a project e30 m50. Wiring was kinda cut up. I have a pusher fan on a m42 radiator. Power to fan (blue) goes to blue/black and ground from fan (black) goes to brown. On the fan switch side, when gray and yellow touch, the fan works (I soldered these to factory wires). But when plugged into fan switch, even when coolant temp needle is at 3/4 (over halfway) the fan still isn't kicking on. Does this mean fan switch is bad? I just bought it... It is a 82* fan switch with a 80* thermostat.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by 18rabbit; 04-03-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _Keith_ View Post
          Interesting, my wiring for high or low is the same gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I believe the 2 circuits have different size fuses in the fuse box
          '90 325is Schwarz
          5 lug'd 24V Turbo on VEMS

Comment

Have you tried bridging the two pins at teh switch and seeing if the fan fires?

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              Have you tried bridging the two pins at teh switch and seeing if the fan fires?
              Yes, and when I do this, the fan fires. So this pretty much means bad fan switch yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by 18rabbit View Post
                Yes, and when I do this, the fan fires. So this pretty much means bad fan switch yeah?
                Ok, so I bought a new fan switch and same thing happens. I think the fan switch and the coolant temp sensor are getting vastly different temp readings. The coolant temp sensor is hot while the radiator (and bottom hose) is cooler. Coolant gauge reads 3/4 hot. What does this point to?

Comment

No one believes me the fan switch is almost never problem ;)

Water pump/thermostat work?

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I believe you Dave. :hitler:

Comment

Now I'm a believer!... Yes water pump and thermostat are brand new. Today I pulled the thermostat and radiator. Flushed the radiator with the hose and got a bunch of brown stuff out of there. I drilled a <1/8" hole in the thermostat too and replaced it with hole at 12 Oclock. Then I proceeded to bleed the cooling system using the following protocol:

Jack front of car up
                      Turn car to 'on' position and run heater full power, fan full speed
                      Opened bleed screw and radiator cap
                      Fill coolant using top thermostat hose slowly
                      Once hose was full, I mounted hose then filled radiator until air bubbles stopped coming from bleed hole
                      Closed bleeder and radiator

Still overheating. Hoses are rock hard, top hose is hot, bottom hose is cold. Fan still not coming on... Any help is appreciated.

Comment

what radiator/overflow setup?

overheat at idle or driving? Have a accurate way to monitor temps?

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

what radiator/overflow setup?

overheat at idle or driving? Have a accurate way to monitor temps?
                          I realize we are getting out of 'fan switch' territory but I have a m42 radiator.

Today I parked car on hill where front end was at least 2' above level. With bleed screw open I used different techniques ie. blowing in rad fill hole and squeezing lower rad hose and managed to get a lot of air out of the system. Still crept over halfway once I took it for a spin but I felt like I made progress. I will try more tomorrow.

Comment

Which puller fan should I buy for M52B28 with late M20 radiator? SPAL have 3 different series, which one will fit? Will High Performance fit?
                            Any advice on AC pusher fan please?

Comment

M42 radiator setups are by far the most evil/annoying to bleed properly. The coolant jackets in the engine are higher than the radiator cap usually so the air doesnt want to flow up there....

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

M42 radiator setups are by far the most evil/annoying to bleed properly. The coolant jackets in the engine are higher than the radiator cap usually so the air doesnt want to flow up there....
                                Ok so I finally got the car bled completely and with a functioning fan! Thanks for everyone's help. I bled it about 5 times over the course of a week and I can say a few things made obvious differences:

Parking car on hill where radiator top was higher than engine.
                                Filling upper thermostat hose directly first then transitioning to radiator fill hole, and squeezing lower thermostat hose sporadically.
                                Once radiator is full then removing top radiator support and rotating radiator so that the fill hole is higher than the other side.

I also drilled my thermostats to include a breather hole. I also replaced thermostats too. I replaced it with the shorter one on the right.

Comment

Working...
                                X