Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark 42 View Post
    I know it's an old question, but...

The only thing I can think of is that the trigger voltage/current is almost, but not quite enough to activate the relay.
    Thanks for the help, it was indeed not enough voltage. I now have the 12v supply wired direct to the battery. The system works perfectly now, except this means the fan will obviously stay on even after the car is off. So I now have the same problem as “She loved E” below.

Originally posted by She loved E View Post
    Can anyone who used Klug's method help me out? I'm trying to figure out the best place to hook into +12 (always on) and acc in the engine bay. Klug said to hook into the accessory fuse box (little black box next to main fuse box), BUT, I don't have one of those. :( My car is an 89 325is but its been modified pretty heavily by previous owners. Will be poring over wiring diagrams to see if those wires are still under the hood but in the meantime would appreciate any tips.
    I have the same problem as this now. My car is quite modified and I don’t have the stock acc fuse box any more, where is the best place to find switched acc power for the fan?

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

Comment

So i can use the stock e30 A/C fan on the front and just switch out the radiator temp switch for a 3 prong 80*C/ 2speed sensor and I should have enough fan power to maintain a cool engine. Do I need to add a new thermostat also?
      I’m running a mechanical fan atm and it sits too close for comfort

Comment

i went to install mine via Klug's write-up, but when testing, my fan did not have power when starting the car, so I could not see how starting at at temp would cause issues and went about it the classic way.

Maybe i am missing something

Comment

For those with 82C temp switches, what temp does yours actually kick on?

I just pulled my 82C FAE/Facet switch and tested it, average temp it kicked on was 90C and turned off at 79C.

Also, blew my 30amp fuse, anyone use slow burn fuses? My father uses them a lot and suggested I use it for this application.

Also, do not bother ordering the Febi 82C from FCP Euro, it is labelled "90-95" and "01102" which would make it a 91C fan according to some cross posting, I told them and told them it should be marked "03280" and they shipped me another 91C switch. I tested both, kick on around 95C
          Last edited by eternal24k; 07-03-2019, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
            Thanks for the help, it was indeed not enough voltage. I now have the 12v supply wired direct to the battery. The system works perfectly now, except this means the fan will obviously stay on even after the car is off. So I now have the same problem as “She loved E” below.

I have the same problem as this now. My car is quite modified and I don’t have the stock acc fuse box any more, where is the best place to find switched acc power for the fan?

If you have a manual sunroof or manual windows you can use the C302 Accessory connector under the dash.

In my car socket A has 12v in run which is normally for sunroof and socket Q has 12v in run which is for power windows. My car has neither power sunroof or windows so they are both unused. The stock aux fan draws a lot of amperage especially as it gets old, so this is not the best way to do it, but power windows are fused for 30 amps so the wiring *should* support it.

A better way would be to add your own aux fuse + relay box, get power from the main B+ lug inside the e30 fuse box with a ring terminal, and switch the relay using the fan switch. That way your fan can run even after the car shuts off. Many OEMs do it this way.
            My VW vanagon for example, the fan runs 20-30 seconds after shutting the car off on hot days.

C302 diagram
            Last edited by pandaboo911; 07-03-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

read through many posts on here but unsure if my setup is working properly (from previous owner).

currently my pusher fan runs on low all the time and the temp switch (maybe a low temp one but unconfirmed) will trigger the high speed if it gets hot enough.

what I want to know is should the fan kick on high when the AC button is pressed? if not is there an easy way to make this happen? is there an AC relay in the fuse box that could jump the high speed relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
                read through many posts on here but unsure if my setup is working properly (from previous owner).

currently my pusher fan runs on low all the time and the temp switch (maybe a low temp one but unconfirmed) will trigger the high speed if it gets hot enough.

what I want to know is should the fan kick on high when the AC button is pressed? if not is there an easy way to make this happen? is there an AC relay in the fuse box that could jump the high speed relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                anyone?

Comment

Working...
                X