No announcement yet.

AHHH ive tried everything... still not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, i played around with the O2 sensors a bit.

im going to go through the vacuum and electrical system tonight.

I do have GT1 running on my laptop, so i can re align the EWS to another computer.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

2) my engine did that when i had huge vaccuum leaks. Try to rev it to keep it from dying, after a minute or so, does it idle steady? If so, you messed up some hoses, check all. specially those connected to the Idle control valve. Hell that could be the cause. BTW, if you're running obd2, you can't just get another ecu.. you'll need key and ewsII module as you probably already know.

No, it usually sputters out and stalls after i let off the throttle.

3) Do you even get even firing or does it sound like a v-twin?

its very uneven on the exhaust, i put my hand over the exhaust pipe and i can pretty much feel each cylinder fire.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Ok, i pulled the intake mani off, tightened up all hose clamps, and checked all the wiring again.. EVERYTHING WAS GOOD

put it all back together and it ran no different(no surprise here)

so then i started playing the the coil packs

- all 6 have spark, checked each one.

- if i unplug the 3 assumed dead ones, the engine runs the SAME

- if i unplug the 3 assumed good ones, and have the dead ones plugged in, the engine RUNS THE SAME, and the other header gets hot.

So now i am 99% sure its a fuel pressure problem... question is.. how do i tell if its the pump or the regulator??

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
          Ok, i pulled the intake mani off, tightened up all hose clamps, and checked all the wiring again.. EVERYTHING WAS GOOD

- if i unplug the 3 assumed good ones, and have the dead ones plugged in, the engine RUNS THE SAME, and the other header gets hot.

So now i am 99% sure its a fuel pressure problem... question is.. how do i tell if its the pump or the regulator??
          Are you running the obd2 rem fuel pressure reg or the obd1 rail vac regulator?
          Originally posted by 325Projectz
          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
          :nice:

Comment

Had this same thought this morning. Matt you do have a fpr in place since the obd2 rail doesn't have one?

Originally posted by Roysneon
            $5 shipped?
            Originally posted by MarkD
            You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Is this a known good engine?
              Did it run properly before the swap?
              Have you done a compression check to make sure all the cylinders are good?

Comment

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
                If he can read codes there would be multiple codes thrown for having the O2 sensors switched. I had that problem when I installed new ones. The car still ran/idled and drove, just not very well.
                It won't throw any codes until the fuel adaptation hit's the limits which can take a while especially if only running in very short spurts. If he could see fuel trim he will have one bank pegged one direction and one pegged the other possibly not at the limits yet. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                  Had this same thought this morning. Matt you do have a fpr in place since the obd2 rail doesn't have one?
                  This. Make sure you have the wiring for this correct as well. There are multiple connectors that fit the FPR.
                  M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
                  Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
                  M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

did you check all 6 fuel injectors the same way?

which fuel pump and fuel rail and regulator setup? obd1 or 2?

obd2 fuel rail (m52/s52) has a valve on the rail you can attach a pressure gauge to. This will tell you if there is pressure @ rail (and see if pump and FPR are working).

FPR is VERY stout, quite difficult to kill one.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

^^ yes. The connector for the obd2 FPR is born from the same place where the rear O2 sensors come from and its a hella long cable. The only other connector in the area and long enough to reach is for the AIT (air intake temp), both of which the engine can run perfectly without. so the problem isn't the connectors.

Maybe your fuel lines are backasswards:
                      -Feed line coming from the filter goes through the open section of the regulator and feeds into the back of the fuel rail
                      -Return line coming from the front of the fuel rail goes to the Pressure Regulator of the FPR and back into the tank. Check it.

i don't even know if a car would run without a FPR.. maybe..
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

obd2 rail and fpr

correct wires going to it, i switched the fuel lines around for the hell of it and it made no difference...(i dont think it really matters for obd2 rails because the FPR is not built in...)

the fact that if i unplug the 3 "good" cylinders it runs the same on the 3 "bad" ones leaves me to believe all the injectors are working properly...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Lets touch upon the basics.

Your wiring is more than likely correct. The engine harness is self-contained. If you're running OBD2, your wiring is good. All the pins you cross in an adapter are for starting or for the dash. Maybe look at good grounds.

i would concentrate on mechanical stuff. Disconnect one spark plug at a time. Are they new plugs? Maybe you O2 sensor(s) is bad though it should still run. Can you post a video? Also reverting the fuel lines should have made a world of a difference, specially if they were already right. I still suspect vacuum leaks and something wierd going on with your fueling ie. bad injectors. Did you ever try to clean them? If so what did you do? I messed up some injectors trying to clean them. lol. had to buy 6 new ones. (ebay)
                          No more e30s for me.
                          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]
                          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

i never cleaned the injectors, the engine came from a running and driving car, the FPR and some of the other bits including the DME, key, ews combo came from another.

im going to plug the return line tonight and see if it runs better...that will tell me if its the FPR or not

spark plugs are not new, but each was tested and have lots of spark.

All the gauges and lights on the dash work properly, the only CEL i am currently getting is for the fuel tank pressure sensor because it is not hooked up.

I have tried almost every possible configuration between the 4 o2 sensors i have... no noticeable difference in any of them.

I went through the vacuum system yesterday and would have a hard time believing i still have vacuum leaks.

ill see if i can make a vid tonight

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

i never cleaned the injectors, the engine came from a running and driving car, the FPR and some of the other bits including the DME, key, ews combo came from another.

im going to plug the return line tonight and see if it runs better...that will tell me if its the FPR or not

spark plugs are not new, but each was tested and have lots of spark.

All the gauges and lights on the dash work properly, the only CEL i am currently getting is for the fuel tank pressure sensor because it is not hooked up.

I have tried almost every possible configuration between the 4 o2 sensors i have... no noticeable difference in any of them.

I went through the vacuum system yesterday and would have a hard time believing i still have vacuum leaks.

ill see if i can make a vid tonight

If the O2 sensors are wrong you will need to reset the fuel adaptations to see any difference. ;)

Use your GT1 and LMN what the fuel adaptations are for each bank. The O2 sensors are one of the few things that would effect each bank as a whole but independently of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                                If the O2 sensors are wrong you will need to reset the fuel adaptations to see any difference. ;)

Use your GT1 and LMN what the fuel adaptations are for each bank. The O2 sensors are one of the few things that would effect each bank as a whole but independently of each other.
                                yeah, unplugged the battery for 5 minutes after every change

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Working...
                                X