Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Very appreciative of this valuable thread. I'm currently embarking on this journey of a CA BAR legal e30 S50 swap. Unfortunately, I think the PO took 0 steps in that direction.

    Is our only cat option OEM for this model, or is there some way to save some cash?

    Also for the guys avoiding smog altogether by seeking po box residency, any luck with this? It doesn't look possible in CA, for requirement of residency address.

    Comment


      #62
      ima try it with my e30. i used to work for a ups store, they are all independently operated and standards are loose. just use a homeless shelter as the address and look bummy that day. They can't say shit. just gotta fish for the right one.
      Jah bless! :pimp:

      Comment


        #63
        also, it's not a po box. more like an appartment from the ups store's address. i forgot what made it different but my manager and instructional training video drove that point home.
        Jah bless! :pimp:

        Comment


          #64
          I noticed you were in OC. Did you ref it at Golden West College? I heard they were the most difficult to please.

          glad you got that out the way though.

          Originally posted by MrGreen View Post
          So, after 10 months of trying (5 Ref apts), I finally passed this week!

          Comment


            #65
            He also went OBD2 so that makes it even harder.

            My 3rd ref appt is on tuesday. Technically the 1st one was just an informative one. The 2nd time I passed everything except the 25mph roller test, hopefully with this new software it will be the difference. If not, Im going to buy another members OEM downpipe + cats and making a custom exhaust behind that. Id rather not do that and just pass this time. The software gurus have all told me the software change should be enough.

            I previously had a Turner Motorsports S50 chip with pinktop injectors. I figured this was the closest off-the-shelf tune to my M52 with OBD1 wiring + ECU, M50 manifold and S52 cams. Turns out TRM makes a chip that is able to be tuned exactly to this setup. Fingers crossed!
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
            Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
            Originally posted by Melon
            Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

            Comment


              #66
              CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

              Originally posted by schuldt View Post
              Very appreciative of this valuable thread. I'm currently embarking on this journey of a CA BAR legal e30 S50 swap. Unfortunately, I think the PO took 0 steps in that direction.

              Is our only cat option OEM for this model, or is there some way to save some cash?

              Also for the guys avoiding smog altogether by seeking po box residency, any luck with this? It doesn't look possible in CA, for requirement of residency address.


              Nobody said the Internet was for hand holding; this is a technical discussion thread not a how to do your homework bbs.

              OP really doesn't care about Cali smog legality for his own cars (out of state no smog plates).

              The e30 24v I race has a m54 converted to obd1 and single vanos; obvious factor of RACE CAR prevents any care to comply with emissions; frankensteining parts also prevents eligibility for California bar.

              As far as smog exempt country registering with PO BOX that era might be over in Cali; Idaho is an option for those willing to hire an attorney to remote reg.

              If you have property in Michigan and can prove residency then you can drive with no front plate, no smog requirements and remote registration; these are all offered by Michigan to remote residents.

              Michigan sent me the new Michigan plate/tags/registration/title to my California address.


              This having been said I have helped friends pass Cali bar; it's really simple -

              Get donor car; make sure everything is factory bmw. Transfer all systems to the donor chassis. Make sure it runs 100% stock and is UNMOLESTED.

              For obd2 chassis/ swaps the Cali bar has gotten advanced with scanning tech lately; if you are attempting to electronically set the obd2 readiness monitors to Ok because the systems are missing they will catch it on their electronic scanner side;

              For some Japanese cars swapping from obd1->obd2 chassis require a gas tank swap with applicable emissions gear; for a s52/m52 this would include the large charcoal canister in the spare tire well as well as the 3/2 constant pressure loop switch fuel pressure item

              M52/S52 cannot pass California bar converted to obd1; it's simply not legal or allowed; if you want a BAR certification what good does it do you if it's fake and your car can get busted for cheating later?

              M52/s52 blocks have an obvious Crank sensor in block; different water pipe from front case cover, different throttle body, manifold etc etc etc

              Recently a friend of friend tried to BAR a Subaru turbo swap without the proper gas tank installed; tried to trick the ref by setting readiness monitors to always OK; they caught this with their scanner and now he is screwed.

              Now this car is in smog jail- can't pass without the correct gas tank installed wth its emissions inlet/outlets+ fuel pump controller+ charcoal canister
              Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-23-2016, 11:58 AM.
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

              Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



              Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                Nobody said the Internet was for hand holding; this is a technical discussion thread not a how to do your homework bbs.

                OP really doesn't care about Cali smog legality for his own cars (out of state no smog plates).

                The e30 24v I race has a m54 converted to obd1 and single vanos; obvious factor of RACE CAR prevents any care to comply with emissions; frankensteining parts also prevents eligibility for California bar.

                As far as smog exempt country registering with PO BOX that era might be over in Cali; Idaho is an option for those willing to hire an attorney to remote reg.

                If you have property in Michigan and can prove residency then you can drive with no front plate, no smog requirements and remote registration; these are all offered by Michigan to remote residents.

                Michigan sent me the new Michigan plate/tags/registration/title to my California address.


                This having been said I have helped friends pass Cali bar; it's really simple -

                Get donor car; make sure everything is factory bmw. Transfer all systems to the donor chassis. Make sure it runs 100% stock and is UNMOLESTED.

                For obd2 chassis/ swaps the Cali bar has gotten advanced with scanning tech lately; if you are attempting to electronically set the obd2 readiness monitors to Ok because the systems are missing they will catch it on their electronic scanner side;

                For some Japanese cars swapping from obd1->obd2 chassis require a gas tank swap with applicable emissions gear; for a s52/m52 this would include the large charcoal canister in the spare tire well as well as the 3/2 constant pressure loop switch fuel pressure item

                M52/S52 cannot pass California bar converted to obd1; it's simply not legal or allowed; if you want a BAR certification what good does it do you if it's fake and your car can get busted for cheating later?

                M52/s52 blocks have an obvious Crank sensor in block; different water pipe from front case cover, different throttle body, manifold etc etc etc

                Recently a friend of friend tried to BAR a Subaru turbo swap without the proper gas tank installed; tried to trick the ref by setting readiness monitors to always OK; they caught this with their scanner and now he is screwed.

                Now this car is in smog jail- can't pass without the correct gas tank installed wth its emissions inlet/outlets+ fuel pump controller+ charcoal canister
                This is why I am gonna put my spare 1993 m50 OBD-1 into the e30, get it BAR certified then install the fully rebuilt s52 long block afterward.
                1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
                1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
                1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
                1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
                2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
                2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
                2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
                2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by wilholl View Post
                  This is why I am gonna put my spare 1993 m50 OBD-1 into the e30, get it BAR certified then install the fully rebuilt s52 long block afterward.


                  For this effort why not just install the s52 in obd2 form with its proper emissions gear?

                  You'd be saving yourself a complete engine swap in labor for no good reason; the emissions gear does not reduce power; my s52 obd2 makes better power than my obd1 s52 did
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                  Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                  Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Rob Daman View Post
                    I noticed you were in OC. Did you ref it at Golden West College? I heard they were the most difficult to please.



                    glad you got that out the way though.


                    Went to Golden West the first time. Tony doesn't give off the I want you
                    to pass vibe. Not sure if it was a personality issue or that he was pissed at my car/me having missing smog items. Anyway, I determined to never go back. Fullerton College is great though. Greg was more than fair. He wants to help you get through the process legit. I went there 4 times then passed. He was rooting for me and excited about the extra power :)

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by SarcastaBall View Post
                      This seems like the dream swap. Other than the E36 interior's notorious quality, I'd love to have an S54 E36 sedan. I read that the S54 is much more difficult, due to the evap tank, the OBDII, and the numerous other computer systems in it?
                      It's not a walk in the park, but it's absolutely not difficult. Just install every emissions part the E46 m3 came with. The trickiest bit is plumbing in the charcoal canister, and even that is easy on an OBD2 E36.

                      Starting with an OBD1 requires a (very little) bit more plumbing but that's really it.

                      If you're really curious, read my writeup thread in my sig.

                      The BAR process is not hard. Just install everything, and make sure everything is functional. I passed on the first try, and there were very few write-ups or descriptions of the swap online, and zero information on E36/S54 BAR. I'd only heard of one shop that had managed to get a car through, and that was about a week before I passed.

                      If you're doing an S52, it's even easier since the CEL isn't run over CAN. Just install the SAP and the charcoal canister, same as an S54. Just a couple wires needed. If you're swapping in an engine, and especially if you're not buying a prebuilt wiring adapter, you can wire in a three wire charcoal canister and pressure sensor.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

                      Comment


                        #71
                        I didnt know Fullerton did referee. good to know!

                        Originally posted by MrGreen View Post
                        Went to Golden West the first time. Tony doesn't give off the I want you
                        to pass vibe. Not sure if it was a personality issue or that he was pissed at my car/me having missing smog items. Anyway, I determined to never go back. Fullerton College is great though. Greg was more than fair. He wants to help you get through the process legit. I went there 4 times then passed. He was rooting for me and excited about the extra power :)

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                          For this effort why not just install the s52 in obd2 form with its proper emissions gear?

                          You'd be saving yourself a complete engine swap in labor for no good reason; the emissions gear does not reduce power; my s52 obd2 makes better power than my obd1 s52 did
                          Because,that makes too much damn sense! I would rather do it the hard way.
                          1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
                          1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
                          1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
                          1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
                          2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
                          2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
                          2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
                          2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by wilholl View Post
                            Because,that makes too much damn sense! I would rather do it the hard way.


                            Ka24de smog
                            Sr20det stage 3 daily
                            Ka24de smog


                            ...........
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                            Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                            Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                              Ka24de smog
                              Sr20det stage 3 daily
                              Ka24de smog


                              ...........
                              OK... OK!
                              I will do a OBD-2 swap if you rebuild my 3.46LSD diff for free :)
                              1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
                              1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
                              1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
                              1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
                              2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
                              2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
                              2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
                              2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

                              Comment


                                #75
                                CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

                                Originally posted by wilholl View Post
                                OK... OK!
                                I will do a OBD-2 swap if you rebuild my 3.46LSD diff for free :)


                                Sure if you install my next s54b32 and diff for free

                                Net $0 trade, all parts on owner
                                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                                Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                                Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X