Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mnnguy
    replied
    I’m looking to start the process of bar swapping my e28 528e with an s50. What bar stations in socal are recommended or allow the use of a modified or custom mid pipe with the magnaflow cats for clearance?
    I was reading this thread and saw that some locations require the use of an unmodified midpipe.

And does anyone know if I would be able to use e39 manifolds on an s50? Main reason is that the steering box and associated parts make the area for the exhaust tighter than e30s
    Last edited by Mnnguy; 04-09-2024, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
    Bumping this thread to share a guide I put together for anyone who wants to do an OBD1 M50 or S50 swap:

https://drivewerks.co/how-to-make-yo...ifornia-legal/
    Good write up . Having the ecu out in the open was a must for my smog referee . He also failed me the first time as the ecu was from an automatic . But that was the only thing he flagged and passed the second time with just an ecu swap

Leave a comment:

• mtech325
    replied
    Bumping this thread to share a guide I put together for anyone who wants to do an OBD1 M50 or S50 swap:

If you install an M50 or S50 OBD1 24v engine into your e30, it’s easy to make it California smog BAR legal as well. Find out how to remain CARB legal.

Leave a comment:

• projectJTv4
    replied
    Just curious, has anyone swapped in an N52/4/5 and BAR'd it yet? I've been waiting for a donor car so that I don't have to piecemeal all the emissions components.

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    you should be able to get a pre smog check to see whats the condition of the car.. make sure the O2 sensors are good,

Leave a comment:

• Jamie H
    replied
    Who wants to be my new friend and correspond via PM or email regarding how I get my new headache 1994 e36 325i with s50 swap to pass smog?

Relocated to Norcal from NC for work and will be here about 2 years. Bought the car and am now in over my head due to being an e30 guy much more comfortable with m20s than 24v stuff. My e30 is here too which is a problem for another day. E36 was off the road for 10 years and owed 1100 in back fees by the PO which thankfully were mostly waived, however I have roughly 2 months to get it to pass smog as I paid posting fees to DMV through CVPRS to start the process of titling the car in my name.

Have new water pump and thermostat here already and new hoses, all fluids on the way as well as oil and filter, spark plugs and a stock airbox for a 95 325i as my realoem research seems to show that it will fit. Car has cats but no idea on condition and CEL is on. Any other must buys for the basic tune up for a first go at smog? Will check what ECU I have tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• e30m3s54turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
    Well I went back with a chipped silver label manual 413 ecu with the vin number present from a 95 M3 . Showed up with the glovebox taken apart so he could see it . Ran the tail pipe test and confirmed the ecu and boom I got my sticker . This was in Rancho Cucamonga chaffey college . Guy was pretty knowledgeable on older bmws .
    Good 👍

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    Well I went back with a chipped silver label manual 413 ecu with the vin number present from a 95 M3 . Showed up with the glovebox taken apart so he could see it . Ran the tail pipe test and confirmed the ecu and boom I got my sticker . This was in Rancho Cucamonga chaffey college . Guy was pretty knowledgeable on older bmws .

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    Originally posted by Chilezen View Post

Interesting that the ECU modifies the signal from the diff based on the type of trans.
    How is your ECU mounted currently? Mine's in the OEM location, I cut the bracket to make it wider, and use big washers with the stock bolts to hold it up. Easy for me to undo them for that visual inspection.

So your emissions were good after the new cats? That's great to hear!
    it is in the stock location bolted up . He didn’t want to accept a picture of it . But I guess it wouldn’t have mattered as the automatic ecu is not letting it pass . I sourced an s50 95 m3 silver label 413 with the vin number intact that says it’s a manual . So I’m waiting for that to come in and I have an ews delete chip . When I go back I will just have the glovebox taken apart so that he can see the ecu . He did inspect the car for 2 hours . Said the swap was super clean . Said don’t worry no one passes the first try . Although he said I was super close . Should be good on my next visit

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
    Went to the referee yesterday . S50 swap stock headers modified stock downpipe for clearance stock O2 sensor portion new walker cats . I have a red label 413 ecu apperently it’s out of an automatic and it wasn’t giving off the correct MPH signal.
    Interesting that the ECU modifies the signal from the diff based on the type of trans.
    How is your ECU mounted currently? Mine's in the OEM location, I cut the bracket to make it wider, and use big washers with the stock bolts to hold it up. Easy for me to undo them for that visual inspection.

So your emissions were good after the new cats? That's great to hear!

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    Went to the referee yesterday . S50 swap stock headers modified stock downpipe for clearance stock O2 sensor portion new walker cats . I have a red label 413 ecu apperently it’s out of an automatic and it wasn’t giving off the correct MPH signal . Also he wanted to see the actual ecu to verify the part number . So I failed because of the ecu . I need to find a manual ecu and when I go next time I have to have the glovebox taken apart so he can see the computer . I was hoping to pass first try . I was so close!! the ecu part is easily fixable . I have sourced a silver label ecu with the vin number that says it’s manual from a 95 M3 . I have an ews delete chip already so I’ll just swap it out and be okay I hope . I will report when I go back .

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    So I did a pretest on my s50 full rebuild with stock everything else . Only one dme and MAF. The sniffer was about twice as much as the allowable . I have the stock oem 25+ year mid pipe and cats . Should I go to the red like that and have them tell me what’s up or should I just do new cats before I go in . About 1200$ installed for both at my local exhaust shop

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    Originally posted by peterdawolf View Post

If you're doing a 1995 S50B30US, that $200 catalytic converter *WILL* fail your BAR inspection. That cat applied to the 1992-1995 M50 cars, but the S50B30US has two individual cats, one on each pipe, with the same otherwise mid-section configuration (both fit the mid section). I know this because I got turned away until I went back and had the $300 a piece 2 single cats installed by the same Magnaflow dealer a month later and then back for another inspection.
    Do you have pictures of the aftermarket legal exhaust on the M50 swap? trying to see how to fit these 81101 WALKER cats in .. looks like there is no room to weld them right next to each other and fit into the stock E36 downpipe... any help is appreciated

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    Originally posted by peterdawolf View Post

If you're doing a 1995 S50B30US, that $200 catalytic converter *WILL* fail your BAR inspection. That cat applied to the 1992-1995 M50 cars, but the S50B30US has two individual cats, one on each pipe, with the same otherwise mid-section configuration (both fit the mid section). I know this because I got turned away until I went back and had the $300 a piece 2 single cats installed by the same Magnaflow dealer a month later and then back for another inspection.
    yep thats the motor im doing M50 2.5..but with M54 internals (crank/pistons/cams)

sounds like the shop messed up your catalytic order? plus all magnaflows are not available at the moment

BTW California Cats are suppose to be guaranteed to work for 5 yrs. hence the price......

also like in anything a simple single number change can mean a totally different engine or process... if its exactly the same they would not change numbers

layman terms OBD1 OBD2 its simple number change but a big difference in capabilities.. good or bad... lol

Last edited by e30strokr; 06-21-2021, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X