Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr2peak
    replied
    Put in a Canadian cluster. Then the 25mph test turns into a 15mph test, the 15 a 9, and the car passes, unusually clean, every time.

:)

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    It's a Turner motorsports chip. The chip is meant for a S50 with the 21.5 pink injectors. I chose this one because it was the closest off-the-shelf tune that was closest to my setup.

I am sure eventually I'll need a custom tune, but for now I'm trying to get this part done
    That's your problem right there.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    It's a Turner motorsports chip. The chip is meant for a S50 with the 21.5 pink injectors. I chose this one because it was the closest off-the-shelf tune that was closest to my setup.

I am sure eventually I'll need a custom tune, but for now I'm trying to get this part done

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    What are you doing for a chip?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    My exhaust setup is M50 manifolds, S50 downpipe then M20B25 dual exhaust. If I get the magnaflow, can I just hack it into my setup?

This is the one that came up?

MagnaFlow manufactures the best exhaust systems, mufflers, pipes and catalytic converters; now being sold directly from our website! We proudly manufacture products in the USA using premium components and the latest technology. Voted 2017 SEMA Manufacturer of the Year!

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    You need a cat. Same thing on my car. Put on a magnaflow cat and all was well. Be aware though, magnaflow lists a legit s50 cat as two single pipe cats. So if you're single exhaust it could get complicated. My "m50" is using a dual in-dual out cat legal for a 95 325i.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Came off a S50 car, so Im going to say its 20 years old haha. Miles were listed as 118k on the S50 car, Ive added 36k to that so were talking 154k total give or take a few miles

Leave a comment:

• clavinZERO
    replied
    Age of catalytic converter? Miles?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    I drove like a maniac before I got there to make sure the cat was hot, but the car was waiting for maybe an hour max. When it was my turn I did drive the car around a little, but it was low speeds, and only a few minutes.

Im wondering if that alone is the problem. He did the 15 mph test first and it was clean... I dunno

Leave a comment:

• _Keith_
    replied
    Did the car sit before it got smogged?

Looks like the cat just wasn't hot enough.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    bump. this is the last freaking thing to have another BAR legal car

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Can I get your opinions on what needs to be done here to pass... Everything was going good And I thought I was going to get the thumbs up, but it didn't happen

Leave a comment:

• NotJesus
    replied
    I'm not to sure about the canister sizes, I was planning on just running my m20 canister.

I've spoken to a few local guys who have gone through the bar process (all in Bay Area ref stations), and reportedly one of the most deciding details of the process is the official who inspects your car.
    One of the guys managed to ref an OBD1 converted S52, running bimmer world equal flow 24v swap mani's (a pair of squid-looking mafks' which I eventually managed to get my hands on), custom exhaust other than the stock obd2 cats, 24# inj, 3.5" MAF, big come filter, etc.
    The other guy I spoke with reported that he ended up in the most official bar inspection he had ever heard of- trying to bar an m50nv (the most basic requirements of 24v bar) with the official printing 50-something pages of diagrams and part numbers, and checking everything from the cats, to the manifolds, checking the numbers on the block, head, checking if the correct valve cover was used, also tried to check the injectors and intake mani, and made a big deal about using the oem air-box, etc. Also put the car through multiple dyno runs, sniff tests, and also instructed the owner to send oil & coolant samples off to be tested. Also, this official flagged the car in the DMV/smog system, so now just taking it to a different REF will not help.
    The guy was obviously a stickler, but it just goes to show how much it comes down to each specific official. I know the OP clearly stated that this thread was not about "getting around the bar" or anything not "100% Cali legal"- but a huge portion of the BAR & ref process is grey area, and it usually comes down to how each ref 'interprets' the standards for Cali-smog.
    Everyone attempting to go for Cali smog should hope for a bit of luck (never hurts), and know that the bar/ref system is a process, not just a test. If you fail, the official should give you specific reasons why, and you should be able to communicate with him the best ways to get your car to the state it needs to be in (or the state that CA gov. wants it to be in).
    I myself, though, am thinking about setting up a po box residency in Amador county (I'm around an hour north of sac, so it's the closest smog-exempt county) to avoid smog altogether.
    Anywho, good luck to all you sons o' ...
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    which charcoal canister do you guys prefer to use? Im about start going to the junkyard to grab the last little minor things and was curious which is smaller. I want to tuck it up in the fender instead of under the hood by the frame rail

Leave a comment:

• _Keith_
    replied
    Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
    When I did my research, I remember reading that the engine "had to function in the same way as it did in the donor car, complete from intake to exhaust".

That said, the wording in the article here states that you can't tamper with emissions equipment, and doesn't specifically state exhaust headers, although it is implied.

Here's the article, a very helpful resource.
    http://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Engin...uidelines.html
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X