There were definitely some shenanigans going on with that car's fuel system when I saw it. That crossover tube in particular caught my eye.
What pump did you install?
M50NV cuts out going from idle to WOT
Collapse
X
-
Like I said, the straps are just for added assurance. There should be one ground strap per bank of wires, i.e., one for coils 1-3, and one for coils 4-6. And there is actually no grounding occuring there, unless the coils crack or become defective; that's why they're grounded. But normally, current doesn't flow on the outside of them. The grounding actually occurs at the spark plug seat where it contacts the head.
P.s. Im not trying to stir up a debate or anything. Im just saying that if Bmw spent the time and money to add those straps there, it doesnt hurt to leave them there.Last edited by e46s54dr; 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM.Leave a comment:
-
The coil is internally grounded through the DME, not the grounding strap, if this were the case, every coil would have one. It's to help static.BMW put those little ground straps are there for a reason. Each coil is grounded to the valve cover individually and those straps are just there as a backup measure. Sure it doesnt hurt not to have them, but why not have them as free insurance?
"The studs go into the valve cover which is separated from the head with a rubber gasket. How well is that going to ground to the block? The only connection between the head and the coil is through the small contact point at the top of the spark plug. The early M50's with the almn. valve covers provided some grounding but the later M52's with the plastic valve covers have zero grounding properties. I'm not just pulling stuff out of the air here, I work at a BMW shop and have seen this problem. 90% of the time when a coil starts to short out or isn't grounded properly and it isn't taken care of in a timely matter the DME will die"Leave a comment:
-
BMW put those little ground straps are there for a reason. Each coil is grounded to the valve cover individually and those straps are just there as a backup measure. Sure it doesnt hurt not to have them, but why not have them as free insurance?
"The studs go into the valve cover which is separated from the head with a rubber gasket. How well is that going to ground to the block? The only connection between the head and the coil is through the small contact point at the top of the spark plug. The early M50's with the almn. valve covers provided some grounding but the later M52's with the plastic valve covers have zero grounding properties. I'm not just pulling stuff out of the air here, I work at a BMW shop and have seen this problem. 90% of the time when a coil starts to short out or isn't grounded properly and it isn't taken care of in a timely matter the DME will die"Leave a comment:
-
Also not running coil grounding straps tho I doubt that has anything to do with thisLeave a comment:
-
-
didn't change the TPS, I don't think I have to, I didn't ohm it out yet but stomp test works great
Replaced fuel pump now im putting a new filter in......
The car had 9month old gas in it before i started the M50, i guess it's all clogged up. I hope at least. tired of throwing parts at this.Leave a comment:
-
After checking the car out today, the problem seems fuel related, After messing with the injector harness ground wire the car ran somewhat better and didn't cut out as often, I'm suspecting an old clogged filter is causing most of the issues.Leave a comment:
-
It has nothing to do with your vent thingy. I have mine set up similar except its still plugged in.
Did you change your TPS? Get a JY one for the lulz.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
DEARi KAMIL,
I DONT THINK MY ICV IS GONNA CAUSE CUT OUTS
SINCERELY,
LAUGH OUT LOUD, CANNOT TURN.Leave a comment:
-
-
shall I point out that, when the car dies, it has NO problem starting back up, as if nothing ever happened.
I have no vacuum leaks (smoke tested) ...Last edited by lolcantturn; 12-25-2011, 04:53 PM.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: