S50 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 swap questions

My temperature gauge is not working. I believe everything is hooked up correctly and i'm running the temp sensor that came with the s50. I checked the actual cluster by plugging it into my dads car and it was fine. Any ideas?
    Last edited by yahh; 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM.

s50 86 325e Project

S50 - BBS - Recaro - BC Coilovers - Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Feedback Thread

I didnt know there were obd2 specific driveshafts.... you should be able to run the e36 shaft from whatever car the engine and trans came from

E36 engine should have e36 mount arms. I dont even think e30 arms fit on S50s

To put the e34 pan on you have to remove the windage tray, but the e34 pan has a tray of its own built in.. its not the same but it is some kind of windage tray

Comment

Originally posted by yahh View Post
      I have a few questuons for you guys. Working on my swap and I will be trying to get it in today.

I'm using a motor and transmission from a 95 m3, do I also use its driveshaft or an obd2 driveshaft and guibo.

With the condor speedshop engine swap mounts do I use e36 or e30 engine mount arms?

For the oil pan. I think I read somewhere that I hahve to debaffle the e34 pan before installation. Correct or incorrect?

Thanks for the help!
      You use 97+ M3/328 dshaft with any ZF trans.

E36 engine arms.

There is a bracket on the #5 rod bearing cap that holds the rear sump pickup tube in place. Cut it off. Install E34 pan. Make sure to safety wire or jb weld the oil pump nut!
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post

There is a bracket on the #5 rod bearing cap that holds the rear sump pickup tube in place. Cut it off. Install E34 pan. Make sure to safety wire or jb weld the oil pump nut!
        I used red loctite.. haven't heard of jb weld on threads

Comment

You need a Manual driveshaft out of a '97+ M3 or 328i BUT it has to have the 4 bolt flange on the differential side. Most of the '97+'s are like that but not all of them so make sure!

Also it's not the baffle you need to remove from the e34 525i oil pan. it's the windage tray but not all of them has that either.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have everything except the driveshaft. I was hoping i could use tge 95 one as I have an entire parts car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Since you have a 95 m3 parts car you might as well use that steering rack! Great upgrade from the stock e30 one.

1989 Zinno 325i S50 ZF320

Comment

Originally posted by AirplaneBuilder View Post
                Since you have a 95 m3 parts car you might as well use that steering rack! Great upgrade from the stock e30 one.
                Yep. I have the swap kit ordered from e30tech :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Dont mess with any of the 5 lug stuff though.. I think the 95 had different geometry in the spindles

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                    Dont mess with any of the 5 lug stuff though.. I think the 95 had different geometry in the spindles
                    As far as I know you can use everything except the LCA's but i'm not doing a 5 lug swap. I wan't to be able to run 15's for track.

Is there anyway to combined the 86 325e and 95 m3 driveshafts to make them work? I'm having trouble locating the 97+ m3 or 328 one.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Did more digging around on the forums and found this. My car is an 86 325e, so that one would work correct?

If you use the ZF trans, the only E30 DS that works is from a 5/86+ 325e. Otherwise you need an E36 driveshaft (not the 6 bolt CV style from the early E36 M3).

A driveshaft from a 325e built before June 1986 will work or a driveshaft from a manual transmission 328i will work.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

i know that there is an early type driveshaft that had the same input flange. i don't remember the dimensions but the problem is that the input flange of the e30 driveshaft is smaller than the e36 m3 one. that's what the revshift giubo was design for. that early style driveshaft had a bigger input flange that works with the zf320. take off the giubo from the m3 and try it on the e30 driveshaft you have. if it fits you win!

Comment

Hey guys finally dropped my S50 in. I bought an adapter that after checking matched my pins, I believe.

I have 2 extra plugs though that i'm not sure where they go.

This one fits on the TPS, is that correct?

This one is 3 prongs, not sure exactly where it goes and there is a black wire coming off of it.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Most connectors look the same. Pull the boot back snag the wire colors and look through the etm of the car your harness is out of.
                            1987 325is - S52

Comment

I'll make an exact list of what wires are connected to what when I get off of work tonight.

When in went over the pin to pin connections everything made sense based on a few charts I found, now I just have 2 extra plugs and 1 black wire.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X