Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24v Swap Nugget Thread - Drop yours here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v Swap Nugget Thread - Drop yours here!

I thought it might be insightful to have a thread were people could chip in and drop their own little nuggets of information that they discovered during their 24v swap. Just a quick one liner or bullet points about road blocks you might have run into and what solved them and would have saved headaches or having to stall for a run to the parts store for random parts/hardware and the like.

Could be a good resource to save a little time and headache for people about to under take a swap (such as myself if that not already obvious!)

I like this, I think this could be very useful and interesting.
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Notch your G260 bellhousing to access the rear oil pan bolts in the future. nobody mentioned this when I researched my swap

Comment

If you buy a full motor, or pull one yourself, LABEL ALL THE CONNECTORS (if you take the harness off)

Take pictures of everything. Even do an extensive walk around the non-dismantled motor in video. See where the wires to the starter go, see which grounds are used, etc.

SAND DOWN YOUR GROUNDS. Your engine will run like shit otherwise.

Also don't waste your time going M50B25. Save and just swap an S50 or M52.
        REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
          Notch your G260 bellhousing to access the rear oil pan bolts in the future. nobody mentioned this when I researched my swap
          What about if you're using a ZF?
          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
            Then chances are you wont need to notch your Getrag 260.
            90 318i M62B44 OBD1
            02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post

I figured this was pretty self explanatory, and people that didnt use G260s wouldnt need the info

Comment

lol what I meant by that was can you access the rear oil pan bolts if you're using an ZF or can the bellhousing be notched the same way as the g260 to gain access.
                Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

ZF came stock bolted to the back of S50/52 M50/52, so they already have them
                  Last edited by bimmer630; 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Remove ALL fire wall sound deadening. The bit on the passenger's side covered by the reflective aluminum gets in the way of accessing the top passenger's side trans bolts. Makes it a biatch otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                      Remove ALL fire wall sound deadening. The bit on the passenger's side covered by the reflective aluminum gets in the way of accessing the top passenger's side trans bolts. Makes it a biatch otherwise.
                      Is this for the g260 only or inclusive of the g240?
                      my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

any swap. The 4 big bolts are in the same spot on all of the transmissions. Just make your life easier

Comment

I will never NEVER remove/install engine while connected to the transmission from above. I would much rather put the engine in first and then wrestle the transmission on afterwards. I understand a lot of people do it that way, but don't. Sucked.

Comment

I think you just did it wrong. Get a load leveler. Worst case, you lower the front of the car or jack up the rear to gain more angle. SO much easier.

Comment

I had the back jacked up and the front as low as possible, load leveler was just about maxed out, never again.

Comment

Working...
                              X