found contradicting info, anyone clear up a G240 question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nokincy
    replied
    No. I have a e36 driveshaft and a '91 318i g240 and the holes in the driveshaft where it bolts to the guibo are m12 for sure and the holes in the guibo are m10.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slovik
    replied
    e36 manual drive shaft bolts right up, maybe the earlier 240 were different but mine was a 91 model. Just use a center support bearing installed backwards.

    Leave a comment:


  • nokincy
    replied
    Originally posted by Roysneon
    How are you bolting the e36 driveshaft to the 240? Doesn't the 240 use m10 guibo bolts while the e36 driveshaft use m12?
    I would like to know what people are doing about this. What kind of sleeves are people using for the e36 shaft.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2.5-12
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.SWISS
    I approve this post, not all M42 318i's had 240's. I have one with a 250 in it. However I honestly never read the tag on the Z3, I assumed small case open diff/M44 must be a 240 on it. The motor ( M52B28 ) and all popped right in no issues. Started fine, no grinding, no funny clutch feedback, nada. Maybe it was a 250 IDK.
    I just dont understand why all this back and forth when it takes 20 min to bolt it all up and check it out if its all pulled from the car?
    true, I should have clarified my 318 parts are all from a 91 318i (E30) which were all G240.

    20 minutes, sure, but you'll end up ruining $30 worth of stretch bolts for no reason if it doesnt work.

    Originally posted by e30pq
    The G240 is a good trans. We used the G240 for a while when we had our race car configured with a Turbo M42 engine. As long as you don't run too much power thru it you should be okay. We were running about 300hp and 300ft lbs of torque so we pushed it to its limit and learned that those numbers are too high for the G240.

    This is a video of a G240 saying goodbye to the world -- at the 9:15 mark - toward the end of the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPC2YrFgEaM
    stock , unchipped M50TU power, although I will be towing with the car still so i question whether it will last forever. I have a spare worst case.

    300wtq is damned impressive for that tranny to take. I doubt a 250 would have taken that.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30pq
    replied
    The G240 is a good trans. We used the G240 for a while when we had our race car configured with a Turbo M42 engine. As long as you don't run too much power thru it you should be okay. We were running about 300hp and 300ft lbs of torque so we pushed it to its limit and learned that those numbers are too high for the G240.

    This is a video of a G240 saying goodbye to the world -- at the 9:15 mark - toward the end of the video.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr.SWISS
    replied
    Originally posted by nokincy
    FWIW the m20 and m50 flywheel are the same size.

    Use m50 flywheel
    m50 starter
    m50 clutch
    m42 pilot bearing (g240)
    either m42 throwout or m50 (not sure)
    320i shift linkage and carrier or shorten your g240 items (don't waste your time with the zf or g260 parts.)
    e36 325i driveshaft

    I think that covers it. As far as the throwout bearing compare the height of the m50 flywheel clutch set up to the m42 items. If you don't have the m42 stuff I can get the info for you next time I'm home.
    I approve this post, not all M42 318i's had 240's. I have one with a 250 in it. However I honestly never read the tag on the Z3, I assumed small case open diff/M44 must be a 240 on it. The motor ( M52B28 ) and all popped right in no issues. Started fine, no grinding, no funny clutch feedback, nada. Maybe it was a 250 IDK.
    I just dont understand why all this back and forth when it takes 20 min to bolt it all up and check it out if its all pulled from the car?

    Leave a comment:


  • 2.5-12
    replied
    Originally posted by nokincy
    The G250 is the same as G240. The G260 will not work the inside diameter is too small.
    wündebar. this is good to hear.

    I won't lie, only reason I'm running a 240 over a 260 is I do not want to remove the pressure plate, clutch and replace the pilot bearing.

    /probablymakesmeabadperson

    Leave a comment:


  • nokincy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2.5-12
    this was very helpful, thanks! the one bit I have to ask though is the M42 G240 pilot bearing the same as M50TU G250 or same as M20 G260?
    The G250 is the same as G240. The G260 will not work the inside diameter is too small.

    Leave a comment:


  • nokincy
    replied
    Originally posted by spyde25
    Good data thanks.

    Since it seems the right people are in this thread i would like to dig a little deeper in this setup.


    If one has a M50 with a G240 will the following combos work (just bought M20 clutch kit)

    M50 Dual mass Flywheel
    M50 Starter
    M20 clutch kit


    M42 dual mass Flywheel
    M42 starter
    M20 clutch kit.
    Neither will work. Pressure plate is specific to flywheel.

    Leave a comment:


  • spyde25
    replied
    Originally posted by Slovik
    A light flywheel will allow the engine idle speed to be pulled down momentarily when the A/C compressor kicks on causing some vibration at that time, it will return to it higher A/C idle speed in a second or so. This is really not that big of a deal but lighter you go on the flywheel the worse it will be. I had my ecu reflashed with a higher idle which helps somewhat but if you want your car to act like a production e36 at idle you need to keep the stock weight flywheel. The same is true if you are running electric fans when they kick on. My flywheel is about 14 lbs but some of the lightweight ones are much lighter than that. Being as you are in Arizona this is really something to think about it's at least as hot as SC.

    Good data thanks.

    Since it seems the right people are in this thread i would like to dig a little deeper in this setup.


    If one has a M50 with a G240 will the following combos work (just bought M20 clutch kit)

    M50 Dual mass Flywheel
    M50 Starter
    M20 clutch kit


    M42 dual mass Flywheel
    M42 starter
    M20 clutch kit.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2.5-12
    replied
    Originally posted by nokincy
    FWIW the m20 and m50 flywheel are the same size.

    Use m50 flywheel
    m50 starter
    m50 clutch
    m42 pilot bearing (g240)
    either m42 throwout or m50 (not sure)
    320i shift linkage and carrier or shorten your g240 items (don't waste your time with the zf or g260 parts.)
    e36 325i driveshaft

    I think that covers it. As far as the throwout bearing compare the height of the m50 flywheel clutch set up to the m42 items. If you don't have the m42 stuff I can get the info for you next time I'm home.

    this was very helpful, thanks! the one bit I have to ask though is the M42 G240 pilot bearing the same as M50TU G250 or same as M20 G260?

    Leave a comment:


  • nokincy
    replied
    FWIW the m20 and m50 flywheel are the same size.

    Use m50 flywheel
    m50 starter
    m50 clutch
    m42 pilot bearing (g240)
    either m42 throwout or m50 (not sure)
    320i shift linkage and carrier or shorten your g240 items (don't waste your time with the zf or g260 parts.)
    e36 325i driveshaft

    I think that covers it. As far as the throwout bearing compare the height of the m50 flywheel clutch set up to the m42 items. If you don't have the m42 stuff I can get the info for you next time I'm home.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slovik
    replied
    A light flywheel will allow the engine idle speed to be pulled down momentarily when the A/C compressor kicks on causing some vibration at that time, it will return to it higher A/C idle speed in a second or so. This is really not that big of a deal but lighter you go on the flywheel the worse it will be. I had my ecu reflashed with a higher idle which helps somewhat but if you want your car to act like a production e36 at idle you need to keep the stock weight flywheel. The same is true if you are running electric fans when they kick on. My flywheel is about 14 lbs but some of the lightweight ones are much lighter than that. Being as you are in Arizona this is really something to think about it's at least as hot as SC.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2.5-12
    replied
    Originally posted by Slovik
    I agree, there are better choices, just don't think the M50 fly and clutch will work with the 240. I guess if there was a heavy duty clutch for the m42 fly that would hold the power that might be better, but I never found one.
    the M42 setup holds M50TU power just fine, and thats an option, but I'm trying to get someone who has actually tried to fit a 1993-1995 325iS flywheel inside a M42 Getrag 240 transmission. so far, no dice.

    Originally posted by nokincy
    There's an m20 dual mass if that's your only hold up.. I really think you should do more research. There is tons of info out there.
    I have one of those as well, but no clutch kit for it.
    you're sort of right. tons of info but ZERO info on this particular setup which is why I pose the question. most 24V swap info is very convoluted and contradicted, sometimes even in the same thread.

    Originally posted by Slovik
    I haven't seen a M20 dual mass used in this conversion but that may work, you would still need to clearance the back of it somehow or shave down the oil pan a bit if you need to keep the weight of the flywheel. btw I used a e36 manual driveshaft and it bolted right up to the 240 guibo, maybe the earlier ones had a different flange.
    good info on the E36 325 DS on the M42 guibo.

    Originally posted by spyde25
    Can you elaborate on the comments on the A/C? I will be using my 318 m50 swap as a DD and I have a dual mass m50 setup, m42 dual mass setup and m20 single mass setup to choose from
    less impact from the AC compressor kicking on with a heavier flywheel.

    Leave a comment:


  • spyde25
    replied
    Originally posted by Slovik
    I have a 91 318is and used all the stock parts except for part #s 25111220759 & 25111220835. I also went with the Z3 1.9 shifter to make it a little quicker. I also like the way the 240 shifts but it will limit your clutch choices. I used the m20 fly lightened to about 14lbs and a F1 stage 2 clutch, it's just OK but my car is just a street car and has A/C so a heavier flywheel would be better. I will be changing to 6 speed later this year and go the stock DM flywheel and the stock M3 clutch. Not too exciting I know but it's all built to take the S52 power.
    Can you elaborate on the comments on the A/C? I will be using my 318 m50 swap as a DD and I have a dual mass m50 setup, m42 dual mass setup and m20 single mass setup to choose from

    Leave a comment:

Working...