Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver s52 Sedan. The Silberbullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to read wire diagrams, because I am trying to learn, but here:

I thought c101 pin #20 would be abs hydraulic unit, but someone else says it is idle speed control, which I see down on the bottom. So how to I determine which one it is. I plan to pull the rubber back on my c101 connector in my car and write down all the wire colors and the pin # the next time I can.
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

The first few pages of the ETK specifically tell you how to interpret:
      - wire colors
      - wire gauges
      - circuit components
      - earths
      - linked circuits etc

Takes you maybe 20 mins to get your head around it but worth it.
      Write the wire colors on some paper so you can look em up with having to flick back to the start ..
      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

You're looking on the wrong page. Page 3450-1 shows that the ABS power source does go thru pin 20 on C101, its the red wire with yellow stripe. Page 8500-9 shows the C101 connector face and pin numbers. The diagram you posted shows the ECM connector which is not C101.

Comment

I think the main thing I am confused on is I have a hard time deciding which side is the car and which side is the engine with the c101 connecting points. Here is a photo of page 3450-1 with pin #20.

I the line that goes into a "U" the body side and the line leaving the engine side? I believe that to be correct. Anyone confirm that?

EDIT: I can not seem to find page 8500-9, I can only get to 8500-1, which is the last page of the wedophones I am using, and it talks about connector C302.

EDITT: Another thing I have been reading is that I need to modify another connecter in my glove box for tach and something else, is this only for 84-85 cars? Or will I need to do this as well?
          Last edited by Link; 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM.

Comment

The line with the arrow is the pin (male contact) and the line with the "U" is the socket (female contact). Disconnect C101 and see which side has the pins.

Comment

Thank you, that made me understand finally and I was able to pull the boot of the body side c101 connector and write down all the pin numbers wire color and which one were blanks.

Is it strange that I only have 20 pins? And I can not seem to locate page 8500-9 to see the face of the connector as you speak about.

EDIT: Why is it that on a pin out chart people put down pin number 1 color is blue as being the alternator, but that is the engine side, shouldn't people be putting voltage monitor system/charging system?
              Last edited by Link; 05-15-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Just ordered a e34 throttle cable, a temp sensor that I plan to rethread to the correct thread, and a oil pan gasket. Look forward to pulling the s52 this weekend.

Comment

These are what I've used for references every harness I've done or adapter. It may seem complicated, but it really isn't. Late cars don't need the tach wired up in the glove box, it is only for ETA cars. Knock yourself out. Good luck!

For what it's worth, do not use an E21 booster if you can avoid it. They don't have the best feel. Get a Porsche 944 booster or iX/E34 V8.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thanks Austin, that first link is a big help. And I plan to move my stock booster a half inch and modify the clevis in order to keep the braking system stock.

EDIR: After looking at that first link and every pin and wire color, on my car pins: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 are all different from that.. Now I am lost again. ALthough the pins I had already found the function of all match up with what they have listed. However some of the matching functions they still have a different wire color.
                    Last edited by Link; 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Link View Post
                      Thanks Austin, that first link is a big help. And I plan to move my stock booster a half inch and modify the clevis in order to keep the braking system stock.

EDIR: After looking at that first link and every pin and wire color, on my car pins: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 are all different from that.. Now I am lost again. ALthough the pins I had already found the function of all match up with what they have listed. However some of the matching functions they still have a different wire color.
                      The big thing is to just make sure each function matches up. I've modified a handful of harnesses and made adapters and they all went together with relative ease.

If you want to send me pics of what you have an issue with, I'll help the best I can.

Comment

Im still confused on this diagram:

On c101 pin # 20, what is the engine side function because at the split there are so many functions. I can see the body side function is the ABS Hydraulic Unit.

Comment

Well at the end of another night reading about wiring this is what I have for the c101 pin out a on 1991 318i

Let me know what you think, and where to find the other ones. I can't decide if I can use the one Austin gave me because it says I have a blank wire where in fact I do not.

Comment

So I have a good amount of parts in the mail. I think its e34 oil pan set up, coolant sensor, brake clevis, e34 throttle cable, tranny mounts, and that might be it.

A few questions:
                            If I am using an e30 rear diff, will the m3 driveline be a bolt in? I just change the center support bearing to an e30 right?
                            Also who have you guys used for tuning your DME for an OBDII swap? Im looking to have some stuff deleted off of it.
                            And finally still trying to figure out wiring. It is very confusing, but I really want to do it myself.

Comment

Yes, use your manual 97-99 E36 4 bolt driveline. Use e30 csb.

Have TRM flash your DME.

Comment

Originally posted by Link View Post
                                Im still confused on this diagram:

snip

On c101 pin # 20, what is the engine side function because at the split there are so many functions. I can see the body side function is the ABS Hydraulic Unit.
                                That line is a power feed which is turned on by the DME. That's why it connects to several parts. The ABS units are among those parts who utilize this feed.
                                90 E30 S50B30
                                http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Working...
                                X